X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Note

Death Note Goes American
    Manga series acquired for new live-action films.
    by Scott Collura

May 1, 2009 - Warner Bros. has acquired the live-action rights to the popular manga series Death Note, with screenwriters Charley and Vlas Parlapanides (War of the Gods) hired to adapt the tale for the big screen.

Variety reports that the story "centers on a college student who accidentally finds a misplaced 'death note,' infusing him with the power to kill merely by writing anyone's name on the page while picturing the person in his mind." The film will be based on the first three volumes of the 13-part manga, which was written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata.

Warner Bros. Pictures Japan previously made three Japanese-language Death Note films, directed by Shusuke Kaneko. Those films will not tie in to the new movie, beyond their shared source material.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/978/978753p1.html
    "God save us from half the people who think they're doing God's work." - Dean Winchester

Given the success of Death Note in the US, I'm not surprised they'd jump at the chance of making an anime into live action that couldn't actually be done without spending hundreds of millions on realistic special effects or massive robots.

That said, I was never a fan of Death Note, just didn't appeal to me but I do think this could be quite a success if done correctly.

sigpic

Comment

I love Death Note but am intensely sceptical about the prospect of a remake. I will give it a chance though, have you heard the rumours about Zac Effron as Light?

Comment

I didn't understand the fandom and frankly I was sick when everyone started drawing fanarts on deviantart.com related to Death Note

but last month I've seen both movies based on this manga and I was amazed on how good they were
        and L character portrayed by Ken'ichi Matsuyama is just too cool and it reminds me of my friend - she's cake/sweets addict too^^

I'd recomend it as good, worth of seeing movies
        dunno abou comic books and anime :>

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
        Zac Effron as Light
        oO can't be! but in other hand - if they find good director it could works (or I'm just too naive)
        '- Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!
        - Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth.
        - Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?
        - Yes.
        [long pause] - Friend!!'

Comment

Working...
        X