This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone like "The Abyss?"

I honestly think that this film is very underrated. Just depends on which version you see. I have both the standard theatrical version and the special edition that has all the major deleted scenes put back in. Having said that the longer version makes a hell of a lot more sense then the theatrical version and why they chopped out certain scenes baffles me.

The message was IMHO very similar to the message that Klaatu gave humanity in the original Day The Earth Stood Still, that there are powerful forces out there, or in this case o our very own planet that are watching us and have a warning for us to stop our warring ways.... My favourite scene was those mile high waves frozen in mid air.... It was beautiful and yet scary at the same time. It also made more sense with that scene in the film with Bud's conversation with the water aliens.

I still love this film after many years.

Anyone else here like this film or have any thoughts on it?

Good or bad
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

This is a great film, I´ve really got to watch it again soon.

I often wish that Cameron had stayed with these kinds of movies instead of going over the deep end with Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
      This is a great film, I´ve really got to watch it again soon.

I often wish that Cameron had stayed with these kinds of movies instead of going over the deep end with Titanic.

I actually "shudder" like Titanic

I would dearly love to see a sequel to the Abyss with how humanity gets on with the water aliens. They're not from space but have lived in the oceans undisturbed and unknown and I thnk that's the kind of concept not many writers have done that I know of.

Comment

I absolutely love this film. The Abyss is utterly spectacular.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I just found out on one of my other forums that in the original book the film is based on the water creatures are indeed from space.

I'm terribly disappointed to learn that the author went down such a predictable path... Why could they not have come from Earth just having lived in the ocean throughout time?

Comment

My Mom
            People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I have only good thoughts about this film. This thread has reminded me that I don't have this film in my collection.

I've just this minute ordered the 2 disk edition and I chucked in From the Earth to the Moon as well. Thanks, CP.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I actually picked up this movie about a year or so ago. I don't know why it took me so long to add this great movie to my collection.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

oh my
                  it's one of my fav movies ever

tho, the directors cut is too.. sententious
                  but still, wherever it's on tv - I watch id with same pleasure

besides: Ed Harris and Michael Biehn, especially Michael *a fangirl squeal*
                  '- Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!
                  - Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth.
                  - Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?
                  - Yes.
                  [long pause] - Friend!!'

Comment

Originally posted by diana6echo View Post
                    oh my
                    it's one of my fav movies ever

tho, the directors cut is too.. sententious
                    but still, wherever it's on tv - I watch id with same pleasure

besides: Ed Harris and Michael Biehn, especially Michael *a fangirl squeal*

Why do youy say that about the Director's Cut? I thnk the theatrical version lacks something because the missing scenes, especially with Bud and the water aliens make more sense when the missing footage is put back in. In the theatrical cut that whole scene felt like something big was missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                      Why do youy say that about the Director's Cut? I thnk the theatrical version lacks something because the missing scenes, especially with Bud and the water aliens make more sense when the missing footage is put back in. In the theatrical cut that whole scene felt like something big was missing.
                      I feel the same way.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Me, me, me!
                        sigpic

Comment

I really love this film. I haven't seen it for a while but will watch it if it's on and I'm in. The directors cut is certainly better.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            it's about montage and showing those scenes with people on the surface, tsunami&general panic, a re-cap of wars and such - soo american
                            it's not bad, but it's too obvious: hey, we know we are idiots - don't have to remind it
                            '- Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!
                            - Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth.
                            - Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?
                            - Yes.
                            [long pause] - Friend!!'

Comment

It started out fairly decently but then descended into b movie hell. The director's cut actually made the film worse!

Comment

Working...
                              X