Asgard Medical Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Medical Technologies

What technologies are we likely to get from the Asgard core in relation to medicine? What technologies are likely to be implemented almost immediatly assuming full disclosure?

The only thing that we know about Asgard medical technology is the life support/medical pod that Thor was placed in at one point, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
      The only thing that we know about Asgard medical technology is the life support/medical pod that Thor was placed in at one point, no?
      And the cloning, organ transplants wuld no longer be necessary, just clone a replacement.

Comment

In Point Of View General Hammond from the alternate reality Earth was brought back from death by the Asgard after being shot twice with a Zat, so whatever made that possible could be easily available to Earth.

I think Hermiod was able to beam a Goauld out of Caldwell so transporting normally inoperable Cancerous Brain Tumours from a person or any number of cancers in a person could be easily removed with tech we already know is available and been used to do highly complicated and usually impossible things with current real world medical procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
          In Point Of View General Hammond from the alternate reality Earth was brought back from death by the Asgard after being shot twice with a Zat, so whatever made that possible could be easily available to Earth.
          I believe that was just the use of a technology similar to the sarcophagus.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post

I think Hermiod was able to beam a Goauld out of Caldwell so transporting normally inoperable Cancerous Brain Tumours from a person or any number of cancers in a person could be easily removed with tech we already know is available and been used to do highly complicated and usually impossible things with current real world medical procedures.
            Let's not get crazy here. We need to people to die from old age and natural causes as the number of retirees (at least in America) is rising fast with respect to the number of taxpayers. The really expensive diseases sure, but the cheap and effective ways of passing away need to be kept.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
              Let's not get crazy here. We need to people to die from old age and natural causes as the number of retirees (at least in America) is rising fast with respect to the number of taxpayers. The really expensive diseases sure, but the cheap and effective ways of passing away need to be kept.
              Also, aside from the economic impact of immortality, Earth simply can't sustain an undying population.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                Also, aside from the economic impact of immortality, Earth simply can't sustain an undying population.
                After full discplsure, I doubt it's gonna be a problem. We'll be buisy spreading through the local cluster.

Comment

A lot of longevity-inducing technologies could be introduced without disclosure, though. Without strict controls on them, Earth would become over-populated. That's a discussion for another thread, though, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    After full discplsure, I doubt it's gonna be a problem. We'll be buisy spreading through the local cluster.
                    We don't have the capability to keep earth colonies safe (at the moment). We need a few more ships before we start colonization.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                      I believe that was just the use of a technology similar to the sarcophagus.
                      I too thought that could be a possibility, if the Goauld can reverse engineer the Ancients regeneration tech then the Asgard must have been able to make something similar if they knew how it worked.

I wasn't getting crazy, not in the slightest, this thread is about what medical technologies the Asgard had and which of them could we use, not the reasons why people shouldn't live longer and healthier lives.
                      Personally I can't see a valid reason why people shouldn't live longer, especially when those technologies could allow more people to work until a much older age, provided they're healthy enough to do so.
                      Maybe the world needs to forget about money and worry more about what resources are available to everyone, but that's a discussion for another place.

BTW my grand parents have been very ill for most of their lives, if any piece of advanced tech could make them healthier I would welcome it with open arms, especially if it stopped just one moment of any amount of pain I know they feel every day.

Comment

OR, maybe we get smart and keep the body strenght on a similar level thoughout our lives. which means a 60 year old is still as vital as a 30 year old. a nice little enzyme called telomerase can do that, prevents telomer degeneration. telomeres are the tips of the chromosome, and duplication degrades it. telomerase rebuilds this tip so you remain vital. still doesnt allow you to live far beyond the current possible, but hey.

max age with telomerase is about 100-120. not including possible accidents, injuries, diseases etc.

the very first thing i'd look up is an AIDS cure. then a FLU cure, then a cancer cure.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          OR, maybe we get smart and keep the body strenght on a similar level thoughout our lives. which means a 60 year old is still as vital as a 30 year old. a nice little enzyme called telomerase can do that, prevents telomer degeneration. telomeres are the tips of the chromosome, and duplication degrades it. telomerase rebuilds this tip so you remain vital. still doesnt allow you to live far beyond the current possible, but hey.

max age with telomerase is about 100-120. not including possible accidents, injuries, diseases etc.

the very first thing i'd look up is an AIDS cure. then a FLU cure, then a cancer cure.
                          Aids is a behavior disease. I'd like to think we'd spend time and money on things that are not preventable thru easy means. Keeping people working (and paying taxes) until they die would be pretty sweet though.

Comment

Aids is a behavior disease.
                            What kind of behavior are people exhibiting who get HIV (and later AIDS) through blood transfusions or organ transplants that were improperly screened?

Comment

so you're saying all the people with aids deserve it? thats the harshest thing ive ever heard. just so you know, you can never perfectly know if you have it. lots of people got it before its effects were known, a good deal of people got it through all kinds of other means, and a massive deal of poor people cant do a thing against it.

its not a BEHAVIOUR disease. if everyone does safe sex, fine. but that doesnt make AIDS go away. the people that have it, have it and will till they die. and untill they die they suck up a ton of money for additional medicine. why not kill it swiftly and easily through a cure?

Comment

Working...
                              X