PDA

View Full Version : Device to disabled wraith tech.

po134
December 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
We know the Ancient had in their posession a Device to disabled wraith technology ... why they didn't simply created a bigger version and put that on every planet, or even around all wraith ship ... so they would attack them and win ,.... Were they that stupid ? :P :rolleyes:

AtlantisRising
December 8th, 2004, 04:40 PM
I believe you are reffering to the the device Dr.Mckay found in the episode "Childhood's End", that device, I believe was an EMP which encompassed a small portion of that particular planet, the effects of EMP are knocking out all technology, not just Wraith.
Basically, the Ancients would have to adandon all technology and live like naturists.

If however, you are reffering to something else, that I missed in the show, then please inform me. ^_^ rather not waste to much energy typing out something that is off topic. *lol*

Dark Ancient
December 8th, 2004, 04:42 PM
The device also affected the Puddle jumper in the episode "Childhood's end" and I am positive that it would affect any other ship that comes too close to the electromagnetic field.

Mio
December 8th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Plus, the device harnessed the planets unique Magnetic Field. They would be unable to use it anywhere else.

And given the fact that it used up an entire ZPM in under 500 years for only an itty bitty section of the planet, only a dozen tiny villages, and the fact that increasing the field strength would probably use an exponetionally increasing amount of energy, Covering a whole planet could concievably use a ZPM in a few days, if not hours, assuming that they could even create an EMP field that big.

I mean, you make the field 100x bigger, it could draw enough power to drain a ZPM in a year.

Even then, It's still a tiny spec on the world globe.

Make it another 100x bigger, It's now draining the power in a day.

LiquidBlue
December 8th, 2004, 06:56 PM
We know the Ancient had in their posession a Device to disabled wraith technology ... why they didn't simply created a bigger version and put that on every planet, or even around all wraith ship ... so they would attack them and win ,.... Were they that stupid ? :P :rolleyes:

I second what has been said so far. I also want to point out that as I unserstand it, the device was not made by the Ancients. Mio states that the device was in operation for about 500 years. I believe this group of humans created the device to escape the Wraith threat using a ZPM they found. Thus the ancients did not have in their possesion a device to disable wraith technology.

Of course it is entirely reasonable that the ancients could create such a device, in fact I would be shocked to learn that they couldn't. But for the reasons already given they didn't, i.e., it knocks out all technology and it's use is specific to a single planet.

kodamawu
December 9th, 2004, 02:09 AM
I second what has been said so far. I also want to point out that as I unserstand it, the device was not made by the Ancients. Mio states that the device was in operation for about 500 years. I believe this group of humans created the device to escape the Wraith threat using a ZPM they found. Thus the ancients did not have in their possesion a device to disable wraith technology.

Of course it is entirely reasonable that the ancients could create such a device, in fact I would be shocked to learn that they couldn't. But for the reasons already given they didn't, i.e., it knocks out all technology and it's use is specific to a single planet.
maybe they did make it and just wanted to protect that particular planet's people. or maybe it was just one rebel ancient (kinda like janus), who did it under every1's noses.

PlaZ
December 9th, 2004, 02:41 AM
But how? the device is apparently only 500 years old. They left for earth way back 10k yrs ago.

I dont know what to think. We assume that the device is only 500 years old which contradicts the fact tha the ancients have not been active in peg galaxy within the last 10k yrs. Of course there are ascended ancients around, such as sheps g/f from sanctuary, but they dont intervene anymore unless they have done so since the others left for ascension/earth
So if the ancients havent installed it, then somebody else mustve. presumably the ancestors of the kids. We know from before i sleep that there is one planet with a zpm that has already been explored by sg-a - i figure it is the kid's one, so the logical consequence is that the zpm has been there for 10k years at least. UNLESS the address pointed another planet (maybe teyla's) but i dont think so.
If it was the ancestors then why was the device 100% ancient tech? rodney had it figured out pretty fast which indicates that it was a familiar technology to him, plus he didnt mention anything different.

I personally come to the conclusion that the 500 year thing isnt correct. Unless of course the device has always been there but inactive until some kid kicked a football against it about 500 years ago and activated it by accident.
I'm confused

Mio
December 9th, 2004, 02:57 AM
I personally come to the conclusion that the 500 year thing isnt correct. Unless of course the device has always been there but inactive until some kid kicked a football against it about 500 years ago and activated it by accident.
I'm confused
That's quite possible. I mean, the place appeared to be an old city, quite possibly some Ancient's research lab. He may have moved to that planet to study it's unique magnetic field, and created the device to harness it's power before he died.

kodamawu
December 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM
But how? the device is apparently only 500 years old. They left for earth way back 10k yrs ago.

I dont know what to think. We assume that the device is only 500 years old which contradicts the fact tha the ancients have not been active in peg galaxy within the last 10k yrs. Of course there are ascended ancients around, such as sheps g/f from sanctuary, but they dont intervene anymore unless they have done so since the others left for ascension/earth
So if the ancients havent installed it, then somebody else mustve. presumably the ancestors of the kids. We know from sanctuary that there is one planet with a zpm that has already been explored by sg-a - i figure it is the kid's one, so the logical consequence is that the zpm has been there for 10k years at least. UNLESS the address pointed another planet (maybe teyla's) but i dont think so.
If it was the ancestors then why was the device 100% ancient tech? rodney had it figured out pretty fast which indicates that it was a familiar technology to him, plus he didnt mention anything different.

I'm confused
err your spoiler is wrong, we learned that in "before i sleep" not "sanctuary"
anyway, in "sanctuary" she did say that there were some who didn't move on, not just her, or at least, im pretty sure she said that... so maybe it was one of them

PlaZ
December 9th, 2004, 08:31 AM
i'm sorry, of course you're right, it was the other ep. will edit it

yes, some were left behind, she did say that. I imagined that those left behind have also ascended (or at least died either because of plague or age or running with a pair of scissors). like the hot chick (yeah, i know. but i forgot her name).

po134
December 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM
So why they didn't just send EMP on wraith ship ? ... :p

kodamawu
December 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM
it would be a suicide mission, doesnt seem like the ancients' style.

AtlantisRising
December 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM

One could assume that they didnt have the necessary resourcecs to produce an EMP device, or maybe because they had limited time?
Sure its a shot in the dark, but the world works in mysterious ways. *lol*

Giantevilhead
December 9th, 2004, 09:41 PM
You'd think that a race advanced as the Wraiths would be able to shield their tech from EMP.

Zamboni
December 9th, 2004, 10:44 PM
You'd think that a race advanced as the Wraiths would be able to shield their tech from EMP.
Nooo... No one can be shielded against the all-powerful EMP... Not the Wraiths, not the Ancients, not even the squiddy from the Matrix. They say it is impossible to predict the future, but one thing is for sure: no matter how advance we or any race may become, EMP will always be that fatal weakness that nobody is immuned...

Well maybe the replicators.

AscendedAncient
December 9th, 2004, 10:57 PM
One could assume that they didnt have the necessary resourcecs to produce an EMP device, or maybe because they had limited time?
Sure its a shot in the dark, but the world works in mysterious ways. *lol*
limited time?
but ...

the ancients had timetravel technology , as shown in "before I sleep". I pointed out in some other thread that they couold have merely gone back in time and taken care of the plague, wraith.. everything. someone suggested that only the ancients of atlantis knew how to do it. I dont buy that... also even if it were so, the could use it to go back in time and warn the others on earth and elsewhere abt the plague, and nip the wraith threat in the bud by not allowing the wriath to evolve!.

never understand why they didnt do it. Biggest hole in the story so far if u ask me.

po134
December 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
[SPOILER]AscendedAncient :My opinion of this matter is when they created the device that was going in a loop that we saw in an old sg1's mission, they decided to stop their research, but the one that helped Weir did continue, aigainst the complete agreement of the other Ancient, but When it was finished they knew he possed the device, they decided to NEVER USE IT AIGAIN even if we don't know why (but perhaps they killed many of their kind in trying to save them in the future ... )one thing is sure : the ancient prefered to sacrifice their own life instead of compromising the entire futur of the universe. Time is not a toy that you can play with, even the ancient did understand it. But for us, in 2004 it's something we didn't even barely reach so far so for us it sounds crazy

I hope the writers will really explain it to us very clairly in the episode coming in janurary, cause it's really, really interresting matter ! It could aigain, give SG-1 enough sucess to continue for a ninth season, and we all know the season8 part's 1 wasn't that nice ... but the upcomming episode may change it for the better. I hope so ;)

Hope you understood my poor english :rolleyes: I still got a 95%-90% and 85% in my composition last year. And I'm learning english for the next 3 years too !

Giantevilhead
December 10th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Nooo... No one can be shielded against the all-powerful EMP... Not the Wraiths, not the Ancients, not even the squiddy from the Matrix. They say it is impossible to predict the future, but one thing is for sure: no matter how advance we or any race may become, EMP will always be that fatal weakness that nobody is immuned...

Well maybe the replicators.

Actually, we have the technology to shield our tech from EMP. Back in the 60's, Boeing or some other airline built a plane that was hardened against EMP, it worked fine but cost way too much to be mass produced so only one was built. The Wraiths must have technologies that are thousands if not millions of years more advanced than Boeing, so there's no reason why they don't shield their ships from EMP since it's really that hard to build a weapon that generates an EMP. Oh and the Matrix machines are retarded, especially compared to superior machines from other movies and tv shows like HAL 9000, Braniac, and Skynet.

AscendedAncient
December 10th, 2004, 05:46 PM
so ur basically saying that we r too underdeveloped

right now in 2004 to even ponder about Time Travel and if the Ancients were so against using it then they must have their reasons. well... maybe so, Id just like to know *what* those reasons are.. I mean what could be SO horrible about time-travel that it stopped them from using the one thing that could restore their ENTIRE civilization and save them from extinction?

yes, i hope they clear it up too.
btw ur english is just fine ;)

Zamboni
December 10th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Actually, we have the technology to shield our tech from EMP. Back in the 60's, Boeing or some other airline built a plane that was hardened against EMP, it worked fine but cost way too much to be mass produced so only one was built. The Wraiths must have technologies that are thousands if not millions of years more advanced than Boeing, so there's no reason why they don't shield their ships from EMP since it's really that hard to build a weapon that generates an EMP. Oh and the Matrix machines are retarded, especially compared to superior machines from other movies and tv shows like HAL 9000, Braniac, and Skynet.

I was being sarcastic... But obviously my literary skills are far worse than I had thought... I apologize.

Giantevilhead
December 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM
I was being sarcastic... But obviously my literary skills are far worse than I had thought... I apologize.

It's almost impossible to convey sarcasm through text.

po134
December 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM
I didn't study in physics but I do know that this weapon cannot be stopped. I watched a doccummentary on that new kind of weapon that the white house our affraid of, cause they know that they could be all without any technology within a minute if the terrorist can found a device like that. For the being, only Russia and USA had their own EMP weapon. And no one can stop it.

Boeing was probably encountered magnetic field in the athmosphere it's normal and many plane have crashed because of it. it could be stopped but not an EMP even the white house expert know that, but they're trying to ;)

Giantevilhead
December 11th, 2004, 10:11 PM
No, it's not that difficult to harden technology against EMP, just really expensive and sometime hardening a piece of technology will make it stop working. The plane that Boeing built was specifically designed to withstand the EMP generated by nuclear blasts. Many military facilities are hardened against EMP so are all nuke silos.