Star System, not Solar System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star System, not Solar System

Pet peeve of mine, but it pops up a lot. Stargate keeps using the term 'Solar System' as a generic for a star and the surrounding space(including planets, moons, etc).

The actual generic is "star system", Solar System is the NAME of our star system because our star's name is actually SOL, so therefore we are the SOLar system. Makes sense, but apparently it's a fact that the stargate writing staff isn't aware of.

It pops up often and annoys the crap out of me. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
    Pet peeve of mine, but it pops up a lot. Stargate keeps using the term 'Solar System' as a generic for a star and the surrounding space(including planets, moons, etc).

The actual generic is "star system", Solar System is the NAME of our star system because our star's name is actually SOL, so therefore we are the SOLar system. Makes sense, but apparently it's a fact that the stargate writing staff isn't aware of.

I've read many articles where an alien star system is called a solar system. It's just part of our lexicon. I don't think the writers did a bad job of portraying that.

Comment

So what are the "solar flares" of other stars called?
      Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 19 April 2009, 02:11 PM.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

they are not solar flares, but they are called that way, I do not know the phrase that should be used.

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Solar system has become a generic term because it logically is a correct one. The sun is the soure of SOLAR energy. Solar portrays the sun/star, and so the system of planets around the sun is the solar system.

Star system means the exact same. Although star system, is the more pro-found as solar is only portraying the word sun whereas star represents itself.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            So what are the "solar flares" of other stars called?
            I believe the correct term is Coronal Mass Ejection I checked on the NASA website and that term seems to be correct.
            I remembered it being used in Star Trek The Next Generation in Part 1 of the episode Decent which is how I originally knew.

Comment

aaahhh, who cares?

ive heard so many people talk about "facts", its science fiction, anything can happen.

and also it doesnt matter what you call it -star system/sloar system.
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Why does everything have to be technically correct for you? The slightest error you are annoyed,
                sigpic

Comment

there are about 100 more extreme errors before you. please join the que.

like, the energy of a ZPM, asgard hyperspeed, and other continuation errrors

Comment

Solar system is used by physicists to talk about other star systems, both are considered acceptable.

Comment

about solar flares: in a short explanation of solarflare-timetravel, the term solar flare was used. in Echoes, the term Coronal Mass Ejection was used. and TBH, that sounds alot more threatening, but you also have to remember this is a family show. so the kids know roughly what a solar flare is, but when you say coronal mass ejection they have no clue. explaining costs valuable time, so solar flare is easier. in Echoes it was all about that flare. so explanations were easy to fit in

Comment

Sol=name of our star, our sun.

Sun= generic term for the star you are orbiting around. If we were in the Proxima system then we would call Proxima the 'sun'.

Solar Flare= bad name given by scientist who only studied out sun. Now that our study is extending ourside our star system the term is inadequate. Coronal Mass Ejection is the appropriate term, or perhaps you can use a generic 'Stellar Flare'.

Solar energy= energy we get from Sol, our sun. We haven't been close enough to another star to capture it's energy, so we haven't needed another term in real life. Again, the term 'stellar' is the adjective to use for STAR, not solar.

As to why I'm technical...kids learn more from scifi about space than in school. If scifi shows get it wrong the kids learn it wrong. Space is almost completely ignored in school and I've spent many a times correcting students about this little misnomer...hence it is a pet peeve of mine.

And again, if you don't want to be technical, don't post in the technology section.

Comment

you have technical obvious mistakes and such tiny mistakes as these. as i said before: there are dozens of more pressing concerns.

i have learned more science from the discussions over stargate than stargate itself.

again, stargate is a family show. when you say solar flare, everyone is like, "yea, know what it is" and when you say coronal mass ejection everyone is like WTF?

its a matter of comprehendability. solar energy, solar flares, solar systems. well the latter doesnt matter that much. starsystem or solar system, public mostly knows what it is.

so its adaptation.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            again, stargate is a family show. when you say solar flare, everyone is like, "yea, know what it is" and when you say coronal mass ejection everyone is like WTF?
                            Actualy thats a misconception. A solar flare is not the same thing as a coronal mass ejection. A solar flare is a violant explosion in the suns atmosphere that affects all layers of the suns atmosphere (photosphere, corona, and chromosphere - wiki). A CME on the other hand is just an ejection of mass from the corona, caused by magnetic fields. Often they're not even related (other times the flare powers the cme). Both are similiar in power though.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              you have technical obvious mistakes and such tiny mistakes as these. as i said before: there are dozens of more pressing concerns.

i have learned more science from the discussions over stargate than stargate itself.

its a matter of comprehendability. solar energy, solar flares, solar systems. well the latter doesnt matter that much. starsystem or solar system, public mostly knows what it is.

so its adaptation.

That's a load of bull. It's a fundamental error, like not being able to add right. Also, did the public know what a 'Wraith' was before the Atlantis pilot? No.

Stargate doesn't rely on public knowledge of terms for its content. For example:

Drone
                              Ascension
                              Naquada
                              Event Horizon
                              Rings
                              Zatnikatel
                              Wormhole
                              Replicator

See my point? Scifi teaches the vocab instead of taking it from societal misconceptions..such as Solar System in the generic.

Comment

Working...
                              X