Clear All

Warhammer 40k space marines vs SG

Space marines vs all the stargate universe
    im so bored im dead

sigpic

space marines vs stargate universe?
    space marines would probably be pwned!

Comment

space marines have thousands of ships and millions of troops plus they could take out a wraith if they wanted although i would be scared of the replicators if they got there hands on terminator armour
      im so bored im dead

sigpic

Comment

I think a wraith can easily take out a space marine thingy, I mean it is only plastic with some paint on it

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

And a wraith is only a actor in a costume so whats your point were talkin about things that arn't real any way its more about the consept than anything else
          im so bored im dead

sigpic

Comment

well if we do ground assaults i would sure be going with the marines from 40k (i don't know this universe well, but i have read they are bio-engineered human beings (faster, stronger, more durable and maybe more intelligent then the norm. some of them even have PSI capabilities (their leaders) that make ori priors jealous, at least when it comes to fighting) and train all their live for fighting, so even SG-1 would have a hard time with them!)

as for spaceships? i would give this battle to the earthlings from SG as they have shields, beams and such (spacemarine ships surely do not have countermeasures for beaming and APBW's

greetings your LAX ^^

Comment

can't find any info on space marine ships, but as soon as they figure out stargates, they're owning SGverse.
              sigpic

Spoiler:
              Originally posted by IMDB
              Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
              Hehe

Comment

Space marine ships are either strike cruisers, battlebarges or other various small ships like destroyers or frigates. Frigates and destroyers are about 800-1500 meters in length with strike cruisers around 2-3km and battle barges around 6-9km. Their primary weapons include things like giant railguns, laser batteries and plasma cannons all with ranges in the 100,000 km+ area. They also have "bombardment cannons" some sort of railgun type weapon that fires even more massive shells, something like 25-50m bore diameter, that are jammed full of exotic sci-fi explosives.

The larger ships like barges and strike cruisers can also launch fighters/dropships called thunderhawks which are about the size of something like a c-130 and loaded with rapid firing and anti armour weapons and can also carry a number of space marines, space marine terminators or even vehicles in boarding actions or planetary landings.

For defences the ships are studded with point defence weapons, have hulls made out of your typical sci-fi physics defying uber materials (lets them surive prolonged beatings from their own over the top weaponry) and also include several layers of 40k void shields. 40k shields work differently than the ones in stargate in two main ways. Firstly they're layered over top of one another so when one goes down the one under it still takes the next hit as oppossed to them all falling at once. They're also mainly different in that when they do fall they don't fall permanently. A 40k shield that is "dropped" in battle isn't destroyed semi permanently like in stargate. It just shuts down for X amount of time while it bleeds off accumulated energy then it comes back up at full strength.

Battle barges and strike cruisers also have teleporters of their own that operate by shoving objects through an alternate dimension.

Basically the space marines ships are almost as nasty compared to the SG ones as the space marines themselves are compared to the SG ground forces.

Comment

moahahaha, they would beat the united forces of the entire SGverse in one battle
                  sigpic

Spoiler:
                  Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                  Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                    Basically the space marines ships are almost as nasty compared to the SG ones as the space marines themselves are compared to the SG ground forces.
                    Are they? i mean all you said was that they have typycal sci fi magic based shields,weapons and uber metals (trinium/alloys?) which doesnt mean much if we dont know how strong the W40k weapons are or how much can their shields take. As far as i know, theres isnt much info, or a consesus on such figues. am i wrong?
                    Also, layered shielding may sound smart and all, but whats the difference if you have a single shield of strenght 10, or 10 layers of shield each with strenght of 1?

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Originally posted by Character View Post
                      Are they? i mean all you said was that they have typycal sci fi magic based shields,weapons and uber metals (trinium/alloys?) which doesnt mean much if we dont know how strong the W40k weapons are or how much can their shields take. As far as i know, theres isnt much info, or a consesus on such figues. am i wrong?
                      Also, layered shielding may sound smart and all, but whats the difference if you have a single shield of strenght 10, or 10 layers of shield each with strenght of 1?
                      The main advantage is that the 40k shields can go down then come up again. They intentionally shut themselves off to dump energy rather than overload and stay down permanently. The armoured hull of the warship then takes hits in the interim.

To give you an idea of how strong their hulls and ship materials are one of the weapons they use is called a nova cannon. This is basically a giant railgun that fires either a 25-50m (I forget which) diameter slug at "close to the speed of light". It's stated in their background material that the recoil of this weapon is so massive that it needs to be compensated for by the ships main engines. So you've got a weapon where the recoil will actually shove a 3km cruiser backwards if its not compensated for, and you've also got a 3km cruiser strong enough to take that force from both ends without being crushed like a beercan as a result. Whatever holds the nova cannon to the ship is also strong enough to not let it rip right off and fly away when fired.

Another example for hull strongth is that their ships all move at fractional c speeds in combat. .75c is the highest number I can remember for "attack speed" but typical speeds will probably be lower than that in my own opinion. What does that have to do with hull strength, well at these speeds 40k ships are actually able to ram each other and survive. Imperial ships are even fitted with prow ramming spikes to make these sort of attacks more effective. It's true that ramming is generally more of a glancing hit as oppossed to a head on collision but the fact they can even survive that at those kinds of speeds is insane.

As far as direct examples of resistance to weapons fire are concerned we can look at 40k torpedoes. What 40k calls a torpedo is a missile about 200 feet long that's designed to pass through shields and explode inside a target after it's penetrated the armour. 40k capital ships can take multiple hits from these. Their yield is a bit harder to nail down exactly but old background material features a nuclear torpedo with a yield of around 600gt specified. The typical torpedo however uses a "plasma reactor" as only a portion of it's warhead and "plasma reactors" are basically what 40k uses to generate the power needed for their ships to do things like accelerate to .75c and charge up Novacannons. They're the universes version of the "super sci-fi power source". To sum it up then it's likely that a torpedo with a plasma reactor as a warhead would be more powerful than the nuclear one that was rated 600gt, which was actually a torpedo that consisted of several smaller double diget megaton warheads designed to scatter for more widespread destruction. So what you're looking at here then is ships withstanding multiple internal explosions likely to be in the gigaton range each, likely hundreds of gigatons range, and possibly even greater for the more commonly used plasma warheads.

Comment

is there any sci-fi-verse that can top that?
                        sigpic

Spoiler:
                        Hehe

Comment

Sure, but not many on television. Book Sci-fi tends to always have bigger numbers and more militarily useful technology depictions. Then when it hits a TV or movie screen it devolves into two retards sitting still 100 feet apart shooting fireworks at each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                            The main advantage is that the 40k shields can go down then come up again. They intentionally shut themselves off to dump energy rather than overload and stay down permanently. The armoured hull of the warship then takes hits in the interim.
                            I'd say SG shields dont overload stay down permanetly either, they are just depleted and need to recharge, but the nature of sg battles (as in lasting no more than a minute or 3) doesnt give enough time for the shields to recharge. Plus most sg armor isnt strong enough for the ship to survive without shields anyway. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasnt it said somewhere that W40k battles last hours or days?

The materials, as you describe them, do sound pretty impresive. The weapons, never heard that 600gt figure, but i'll take our word for it. Although i find it odd that torpedos break ships external armor, but internal materials can take several multigt hits (which itself i find rather stupid and rediculesly uber, but then again this is the rediculesly over the top W40k we're talking about, so..). Anyway, thanx for the info, that was very interesting.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Warhammer 40k is actually insane, the SG verse would get owned.
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                              X