Alien Species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien Species

Ok ive been thinking over this. some time ago i made a thread about 3 habitable planets in a solar system.

this time i was thinking.

1:aside from carbon-based, what other elements can be used as a basis for alien life? what kind of creatures would we be staring at?

2: humanity is 80% water. is such a thing as alcohol-based life or so possible? so instead of water, you use something different?

3: aside from the current mammal aliens, what other kinds have a great potency of high-intelligence and sentience? there are Fish, Amphibians, Reptillians, Avians and Mammals. we have seen mainly mammals. yet asgard seem Amphibian... which of these 5 is most likely to become sentient?

4: followup on #3. say a reptillian becomes sentient. what kind of creature can we expect? omnivorous? do they lay eggs? characteristically reptillian or rather different?

i think Amphibian, Reptillian and Mammal are most likely to become sentient.

Amphibian: most likely biped, bit human but also quite fishy. long, sleek.

Reptillian. see it a bit like a dinosaur, biped. short neck, carnivourous and still somewhat savage

Mammal: well, humanlike

also, Sillicium seems to be much like carbon.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Ok ive been thinking over this. some time ago i made a thread about 3 habitable planets in a solar system.

this time i was thinking.

1:aside from carbon-based, what other elements can be used as a basis for alien life? what kind of creatures would we be staring at?

2: humanity is 80% water. is such a thing as alcohol-based life or so possible? so instead of water, you use something different?

3: aside from the current mammal aliens, what other kinds have a great potency of high-intelligence and sentience? there are Fish, Amphibians, Reptillians, Avians and Mammals. we have seen mainly mammals. yet asgard seem Amphibian... which of these 5 is most likely to become sentient?

4: followup on #3. say a reptillian becomes sentient. what kind of creature can we expect? omnivorous? do they lay eggs? characteristically reptillian or rather different?

i think Amphibian, Reptillian and Mammal are most likely to become sentient.

Amphibian: most likely biped, bit human but also quite fishy. long, sleek.

Reptillian. see it a bit like a dinosaur, biped. short neck, carnivourous and still somewhat savage

also, Sillicium seems to be much like carbon.
    What about insect life?
    sigpic

Comment

insects=exoskeleton=can only remain small, and so far i havent seen examples of proper insect intellect

Comment

there are already sulphur-based life-forms here on earth. other than that, this isn't an area i'm particularly interested in.
        sigpic

Spoiler:
        Originally posted by IMDB
        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
        Hehe

Comment

insects=exoskeleton=can only remain small, and so far i havent seen examples of proper insect intellect
          Its just cos i saw a science program once about life evolveing differently on Earth and it was insects who became the dominent intelligent species.

Cant remember what it was called or that much else about it though, it was a couple of years ago.
          sigpic

Comment

Silicon Based? I think that type was in an SGA episode.
            In the film "Evolution" the lifeforms were nitrogen based.
            What about plant based? I'm thinking about Zhaan from Farscape of course But maybe in a less human appearance..

Wouldn't it depend on how much gravity a planet had for insects to grow? maybe a planet with a lighter gravity could allow bugs to grow much bigger and evolve to sentient.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
              there are already sulphur-based life-forms here on earth. other than that, this isn't an area i'm particularly interested in.
              Are you sure about that? I know there are creatures near deep ocean vents which use sulfur for energy, but they're still carbon based. NASA agrees.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Dolphins are also mammals and they're pretty smart. Dolphin-like intelligence is also possible.

Comment

Silicon Based? I think that type was in an SGA episode.
                  sekkari people, SGA "remnants"

Comment

Even if bugs couldn't grow human sized doesn't mean they couldn't become intelligent, some bugs can already speak only not with words, also didn't the Reetou look bug like?

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                      Are you sure about that? I know there are creatures near deep ocean vents which use sulfur for energy, but they're still carbon based. NASA agrees.
                      as i said, i'm not very interested in this , so you and NASA are probably right.
                      sigpic

Spoiler:
                      Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                      Hehe

Comment

yes but this isnt about whats in stargate but whats possible.

as i said, i'm not very interested in this , so you and NASA are probably right.
                        not at all in all the points i posted?

Comment

did you miss the quote above my post?
                          sigpic

Spoiler:
                          Hehe

Comment

Avian intelligence can rival that of mammals. Crows are ingenious problem-solvers who can make and use simple tools, learn by observation and teach one another; parrot intelligence is well-known, magpies can recognize themselves in the mirror (which is one of the most important indicators of intelligence) and some predator birds exhibit very sophisticated hunting strategies. I wouldn't rule out a bird civilization as a possibility.

Octopus intelligence is a matter of much debate, but there's evidence that they are capable of some impressive problem-solving.

Then again, life on other planets would likely evolve over completely different patterns and it would probably end up with the kind of creatures we can't even imagine, ones that won't fit the Earth species classification at all.
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I think if you give life enough time to evolve anything could be possible.
                              I wouldn't be surprised if most things we've seen in science fiction are possible somewhere out there in the Universe and things that we can't even imagine too.

I doubt Humans are the most intelligent lifeforms in the Universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X