This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Librarian (Movie)

Did anybody see the TNT movie "The Librarian: Search for the Spear"? It was produced by Dean Devlin who did the Stargate movie.

The whole thing seemed like a cheesy version of Stargate. You could tell he was trying to use some of the same ideas in this one. There was the geeky scholar who gets inducted into a secret program (complete with the whole elevator going down to the underground headquarters). He has to save the world. Then he falls in love with the exotic woman. There is even a pyramid involved.

One thing that bugged me was that the music was a thinly veiled rip off of the Stargate theme. A few of the notes were changed but it was basically the same.

I might have actually enjoyed it since it would seem to be so similar but it just came off really bad. The main guy was so much more annoying than Daniel ever was. I wonder if Dean did this since he wasn't allowed to do a Stargate sequel. It was no where near the same quality though.

I saw part of it. I was so annoyed by the british women trying play Indiana Jones -she'd be toast in real life- I stopped watching after 5 minutes.

Comment

I liked the idea behind it, but it was so pathetically done on every level that it kind of ruined it. Noah Wylie's character was incompetent past the point of credibility. How he managed to get out of bed every morning without someone there to tell him what to do and without accidentally killing himself is beyond me.

Ms. Indiana Jones was likewise uncredible and the whole plot was trite and predictible. No surprises at all, not even the "startling revelation" of the guy who was behind it all. I missed the first hour of the movie and I still figured THAT much out.

Still, it was a fun idea. Secret societies and lost treasures and Only the Chosen One Can Save the Day. Standard fare, yes, and a bit too heavy on the Indiana Jonesing, but if anyone had really given a s***, it could still have been made into a nice storyline.

The music thing DID really bother me, and when I saw Devlin's name in the credits, I understood why. Good to know I wasn't imagining it, either.

Comment

Well guess I didn't miss anything in the last half. I watched until they jumped out of the plane (that was dumb) and then fell asleep.

I did like the concept. Library of treasures gathered from all the historical legends, etc. The mystical stuff was a little cheesy but in the right hands this type of show could be fun. I'm a sucker for Indiana Jones-type stuff.

I kind of liked Noah Wylie, but then i've always been a fan of his. Jane Curtin was a hoot. Didn't see enough of English-accent gal to judge her.

Oh well, maybe I'll catch the last half when it repeats. Wonder if they were trying to sell this as a series - the title seems to indicate there could be other adventures in store.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
          Wonder if they were trying to sell this as a series - the title seems to indicate there could be other adventures in store.
          There was mention of someone stealing HG Wells's time machine. That could be funny, too.

It has potential, it's just being wasted in the wrong hands. Noah Wylie was very cute. He was playing a buff geek- just my type.

Comment

i'm in the minority so far.....

i just don't expect much from something on TNT nor from Noah Wylie....

i thought it had some funny moments and for a couple hrs where i had nothing else to do, it was a nice diversion.

it seemed to be written with series in mind which i'll likely avoid if they do.

it was hardly high art, but then, it was only TV....
            Thanks!
            Jordan

my page
            My LJ
            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Oh, it was junk, but it was kinda fun junk. I managed to sit through the second half and didn't feel that I'd wasted an hour of my life. If they made it into a series, I'd probably give it a try. I just wish they'd try a bit harder.

Comment

I happened to catch the repeat of this.. and it was really just brain candy...and I have to agree not anything major but it was fun to watch and I didn't expect much.

Plus apparently here is another guy Shadow and I agree on and of course she will be doing some claiming ..I think Noah is such a cutie and he was fun to watch.

Jane Curtain and Bob Newhart both with the deadpan humor did make me laugh.
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                  I happened to catch the repeat of this.. and it was really just brain candy...and I have to agree not anything major but it was fun to watch and I didn't expect much.

Plus apparently here is another guy Shadow and I agree on and of course she will be doing some claiming ..I think Noah is such a cutie and he was fun to watch.

Jane Curtain and Bob Newhart both with the deadpan humor did make me laugh.
                  I manged to stay awake until they made it the part at the school, I think, and Noah saw his former professor with the bad guys. So I managed to miss the entire ending.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought they were playing Stargate music. I definitely thought I heard that in one of those scenes.

If it becomes a series, I wouldn't watch it.
                  Furlings, they sound cute. Like Ewoks. --- SG-1

sigpic

sig by Mala50. You rock.

Comment

It was cheesy, but it was fun cheesy. At the end, I did think it was setting it up as a possible series. I think it would be a fun series and would give it a chance. You just can't take it serious.
                    No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

If they made a sequel I would probably watch it. There were some good parts in this one, mostly because they were so cheesy I had to laugh. Hopefully that's what they were going for.

I just have to question though, why did they have to waltz across the arrows and swinging spears? Just for some semi-romantic moment? It even looked like they would have been hit the way the effects were set up. I doubt the ancient people who built it had the waltz in mind.

Did anybody else notice the billboard outside the library that had the TNT logo on it?Thought that was kind of interesting advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinarsam
                        I just have to question though, why did they have to waltz across the arrows and swinging spears?
                        Just because they could.

And about the music, YES! I mean, I was sitting in another room (doing homework) for almost the entire movie, and I still noticed the Stargate-ish music playing throughout the movie soundtrack. But I already knew that it had been produced by some of the same people, so it really wasn't too much of a problem for me. Just slightly shocking, that's all... At least we didn't get any tweaked versions of Ra's theme in there! (Not that I noticed, anyway...)
                        There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Just caught the beginning I missed the first time around. It IS a very cute movie, isn't it? I'd definitely give the series a shot, even if the hokiness does get overwhelming sometimes.

And Flynn's my guy. Tame, you can have Noah, I just want The Librarian.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            Just caught the beginning I missed the first time around. It IS a very cute movie, isn't it? I'd definitely give the series a shot, even if the hokiness does get overwhelming sometimes.

And Flynn's my guy. Tame, you can have Noah, I just want The Librarian.
                            Sheesh....when she FINALLY decides to throw me one......... its the *married* actor...... ... LOL ... Ah well I can drool over Noah a bit...he is a cutie and I have liked him *almost* everything I have seen him in... he actually does a good baddie as well
                            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Darn! I didn't know this was on again last night - missed my chance to see the last half.

Just checked TNT's upcoming schedule and in case anyone else is interested The Librarian will be airing on....

Friday, December 10th @ 11:45pm(ET)

Sunday, December 12th @ 11:45pm(ET)

Saturday, December 18th @ 2pm(ET)

Sunday, December 19th @ 10am(ET)
                              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X