Operation Thunder Child - Nick Pope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Thunder Child - Nick Pope

I'd like to reccomend and then discuss what I personally believe is one of the greatest contemporary science fiction novels surrounding alien invasion of Earth that has ever been written.

This fictional novel, was written by one Nick Pope who some will recall was at one stage responsible for the Ministry of Defence's investigations and enquiries into the UFO phenomenon. Anyone interested in the man himself can visit his website: http://www.nickpope.net/

This however is about one of his fictional books, which draws from his experience working for the MOD and, imo, from the perspective of someone in the lower ranks of the RAF - presents one of the best fictional accounts of the Royal Air Force and indeed the British military, with factual accuracy, believable behaviour and true technical expertise. That alone imo makes this a legendary book, as it's so rare to find an accurtae portrayal of a real world military in sci fi, as my complains against SG1 have often reflected.

As for the more Extra Terrestrial side of things, whilst I would have no idea about the accuracy of the procedure and protocol that plays out as the UK faces a potentially ET threat, Pope writes believably and could easily convince anyone that the procedures he details are indeed the way such events would truely play out.

The novel itself focuses around the United Kingdom's first solid experience of extra terrestrial contact with the loss of two Eurofighter Typhoon fast jets and the subsequent crisis and operations that follow. For thos of you who recognise the name behind the name - Operation Thunder Child honours one of the greatest classic sci fi books - The War of The Worlds, and frankly, I'm sure HG Wells would be proud.

I strongly reccomend everyone track down a copy of this book - because frankly, if you like the early days of Stargate - a real world military going up against a massively advanced enemy whilst being totally undergunned. You will love this book.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Sound like an interesting story.
    but if the film rights are sold, then I want the writer to put in an air tight clause in the contract forcing it to be filmed in Britain and America betrayal in there.
    because If there is not the film companies will take it to america and the Russians will be the one that betrays the human race. As standard in most Hollywood flicks.
    Have not read the book but it sound like something I would enjoy reading.
    Last edited by knowles2; 07 August 2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Very true. The magic of this book is that it's all about the Royal Air Force - I think a hell of a lot would be lost of it became USAF.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'd like to add - the sequel - Operation Lightning Strike is also amazing. Not as good as the first imo, but still better than a lot of books.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Finally got around to reading both books.

I enjoyed both, it a shame that the second one ended on a cliff hangar with no sign of a sequel to finish of the story.

I suspect the aliens are very much like the virus that we use to attack them and that it will only keep them human until they have complete control of the planet.

Both books only give the board overview of the story through and are ideal for a tv show rather than a film.

Comment

Working...
          X