Atlantis Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Tower

Is it just me or does the shot of the main tower at the end of 'First Contact' make it look different than it has looked during the rest of the series? From inside, the main stain glass window and the window behind the stargate are on opposite sides of the room, but this shot makes it look as though the tower is divided into thirds.

Several models of the city are used in the show. It gets really annoying when you notice it... and its not hard to notice.

Comment

I have never noticed that they use diferent models. I always thought it was just one model for all of them.

Comment

I am going to assume that this is a stupid and hopeless question, but does anybody know if the average person stands any chance of getting these kinds of questions answered by someone in the company?

Comment

Slim to nil.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

@Adam50ae

What kinds of things have you noticed?

Comment

I really hate it when the city's main tower is so darn out of scale with the rest of it, like the tower=half of Atlantis's width or something...
              Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
              Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Comment

Never noticed that. When have you seen that?
                Last edited by songar87; 27 March 2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
                  @Adam50ae

What kinds of things have you noticed?
                  In some shots the piers seem to be slightly different in size and depth. Also in some shots the tower seems to be in a different proportion to the city. The shots of the city in space in Adrift are prime examples when you compare it to other models (especially from season 1).

I will try and find some screen shots to illustrate.

Comment

Just a thought (that I heard from someone else): The tower height and pier thickness both might look different in space than in the water because a good portion of the piers are underwater. The person that I heard this from pointed out that one of the inter-pier connections is only visable when in space. And if the piers appear to be thinner, than the tower height ratio might look different...maybe...

Comment

As said before there are different models used. Just look at the picture linked below. The top one is the Rainmaker model from one of the wallpapers they had on the scifi site. And the bottem one is used by Atmosphere, picture from This Mortal Coil.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/pikss...ntismodels.jpg

These two models, have been used together, one moment it's Rainmakers, the other it's Atmosphere's. At the end of First strike when Atlantis drops out of Hyperspace it's the Rainmaker one, a few moments later when we see the city floating through space just before the "To be continued" message, it's the Atmosphere one.

Also some differences are possible, because as I understand it, the Atmosphere model underwent a few changes from time to time in an attempt to make it more similar to the Rainmaker model.

Comment

Does anyone know the reason for having different models?

P.S. The different model in TMC could be explained by the fact that that isn't the real Atlantis....

Comment

My guess for having different models is that they had one produced, gave it to the two different companies, then had some changes made by one of the companies. I would guess that they than had some legal difficulties(or just didn't bother) in giving the new model to the other company.

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
                            Does anyone know the reason for having different models?

P.S. The different model in TMC could be explained by the fact that that isn't the real Atlantis....
                            Well yes it could, except that they used this same model for the real Atlantis as well. Such as Allies in the Sequence where the Wraith scout lands on one of the piers.

As for the difference. Like Rob sais, it's likely legal issues make it difficult to just swap out models between the two companies. And considering the amount of VFX needed sometimes I can understand they'd need the two companies to share the load.

Comment

Makes sense. Has anyone else seen a shot that makes the tower look taller in proportion to the rest of the city? I can't think of any....

Comment

Working...
                              X