Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BioShips, Dyson Trees, wraith hives Ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BioShips, Dyson Trees, wraith hives Ect.

So I saw a thread on biotechnology being the future and theat got me thinking about Bioships and other organic space tech. I decided to make a thread on whether it is possible (Not now right now i mean in like a hundred years or so) is it practical and on the Dyson tree were would it get most of the things that plants need to survive? Also on the wraith hive is its hull made of chitin or some kind of fictional material?
    this is what a dyson tree is suposed to look like
    Spoiler:
    sigpic
    Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
    STARGATE RESURRECTION

in real life, i dont think we'll see organic space tech for hundreds of years and even when were capable, i dont think we will. i mean if you designed a ship with nanites it should theoretically be able to repair itself as good as a human form replicator can and if "outcast" is any indication, their pretty resilient.

if were talking about the SG universe, i think its toatally possible to make an organic space ship but it'll take a few decades because nanites could easily make an organic ship because they were able to make duplicates of SGA-1 so the only problem with making a ship would be reprograming them which will be the hard part and take a while. although i dont see us using organic technology because we can use inorganic technology with the aid of nanites and make an inorganic ship that can repair itself better than an organic ship.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

No Bio ships for years!
      And the ones on the pic, they looks like Borg spheres.
      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Life as we understand it wouldn't survive in space. The vacuum of space, the lack of water, the extreme cold, the cosmic radiation and the shear scale of the creature would be massive hurdles. A creature like this would probably never evolve naturally and trying to bioengineer such a complex creature from scratch would be near enough impossible, the amount of trial and error needed to do this would be far too much to ever be realistically possible.

Comment

In real life I doubt if biotech will ever really be a viable means of constructing a spaceship. In stargateverse though the Wraith biotech is actually a superior ship building method idea for civilizations like Earth that would otherwise lack the capacity to build either very large ships or many ships at once. Wraith ships would seem to largely build themselves, making it a lot easier and cheaper to build them.

I'm surprised they didn't look into Wrait biotech more in Atlantis or try to acquire its secrets out of Wraith like Todd in some kind of trade. They always tend to focus on the superwonderuber tech but something more mundane like this would actually be incredibly more useful in the long run than something like Asgard beams. If they could master it reasonably well Earth could basically build/grow entire groups of ships in the time it takes to create one 304 on offworld alpha sites with next to no established infastructure. It would go toward patching their largest current weakness, lack of numbers and infastructure to build and replace ships.

It would have really helped against the Ori for example. Grow a bunch of Wraith style bioships and then augment them with things like the Asgard shield generators that they already have. The Ori seemed to lack numbers so doing this, plus giving the biotech methods to the free Jaffa or Tokra as well, might have potentially allowed Earth and its allies to beat the Ori the same way the Wraith did the ancients or at least force them to take a lot more casualties.

I'd also fully expect that if gateverse ever did reveal the gate to the public and starships eventually became comercially available, the most affordable FTL ships would probably be Wraith scoutship derived, assuming they did get the biotech. There's very little overhead in building them and I can't imagine how you'd be able to compete by offering something comparable in price that wasn't also built with Wraith derived biotech.

Comment

cosmic radiation is the biggest problem.

Comment

Any compound that contains carbon and is not classified as inorganic is organic by definition (even plastic is organic!), so i won't be surprised that we see starships made from organic materials in out lifetime.

Comment

Working...
              X