Biotechnology=The future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biotechnology=The future?

THink about it, nature has created designs that are so much more ingenious and sometimes even more effective than any machanical device. It can fix itself, requiring no maintenance, can be manufactured from virtually zilch,

A good example is the artificial hear valve. Original designs used a caged ball configuration, where a fluid would puch the ball into a cage allowing flow, but close off the space when the flow was interupted. But these required that patients be on bloodthiners for the rest of their lives, and were nt totaly proof against clotting even so.

Modern varions use the paricardium tissue (the sack that encloses the heart) from animals draped over a metalic skeleton shaped to fit the valve it needs to replace. And the tissue is treated to remove any agents that may cause the human immune suytem to reject it.

Eventually we'll gain the ability to grow whole new organs out of a few cells.

Now imagine aplying this technology to everyday life, creating devices and equipment that repair temselves, are resistant to wear and tear, require no maintenance beside nutrition. Already many mechancal systems are mdled after the natural world, phased array cameras that thae many separate cameras linked together to get a very accurate immage modeled after the eye of an eagle, transition zones between hard prosthetics and softer tissue modled after the beak of an squid.

Out machines are becoming more and more "life like" every year.

actually nanotechnology = the future

Comment

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
      actually nanotechnology = the future

Wouldn't biotechnology and nanotechnology go a bit hand in hand, since biotechnology already employs nanotech to a certian very limited degree by just ebing alive and needing complexchemical reactions to work? I imagine the two would complement each other and become one super technology.

Becuase the nanotech could work on a biological "model" on a macro scale.

No?

Comment

Interesting idea. Biotechnology or metal non living technology or nano technology.

Non of it is the future but all will formed part of the future and go hand in hand with each other.

Comment

We are gona get Borg if we dou´it!
          Begin Asimilating and such!
          sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
            We are gona get Borg if we dou´it!
            Begin Asimilating and such!
            I doubt that.

Through technological augmentation would probably begin hapening in the same way as today's aestetic surgery (eyes that can see in uiltraviolet, ears that can hear ultrasoncs, etc.)

And the development of mind machine interfaces would most likely lead to a much more sophisticated Internet, and, maybe, limited DNI (direct neural interface) hive minds, but this is higly speculative.

Comment

Well not the immidiate future but in like a hundred years I would say yes. I support the Dyson Tree which is Biotechnology.
              sigpic
              Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
              STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                Now imagine aplying this technology to everyday life, creating devices and equipment that repair temselves, are resistant to wear and tear, require no maintenance beside nutrition.
                See, it's the nutrition part that worries me. I don't fancy a future in which my fridge might have me for dinner.
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Were a long shot away from prgressing to the point where we can incorporate nano/biotechnology into everyday life. First we need to see how that project in sweden goes. If it can create some new, smaller elements, particles or whatever we can make things more smaller, more advanced etc. It's like when we discovered micro-technology. Things become alot smaller, and i think if we discover a smaller, capable element or whatever we can follow up nano/biotechnology.

Although, genetic manipulation seems the way forward for me. To not incorparate machines into ourselves, or our environment, but to enhance ourselves, using technology yes, but it will still be natural. This way, the average human does not become a fat slob because everything is being taken care of by tiny robots, requiring no effort from the person. It's an all around beneficial technology. I mean, in the future we may be able to grow organs for crying outloud. There's also an experiment in the u.k going extremely well to make blood. If we can do this, not even the sky is the limit.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Working...
                  X