The Asgards and their genetic problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Asgards and their genetic problem

well, as we all know, the asgards suffered from a cloning problem that ultimately leads to their destruction. and as we all know, they have been passivly observing human development searching for the "missing link" that will solve their problem and the only one that ever came close was oniell because his mind was advanced enough to hold the ancients library of knowledge,which would mean it could support the asgards massivle superior intelect, however the knowledge eventually overwrote his brain meaning he was not yet advanced enough to be there salvation.

however, from the episode "frozen" we discovered an ancient,ayiana, who was physiologically and evolutionarily more advanced than us, so why didint the asgards use her to solve their problem? i mean she would have been able to support all of the knowledge in the library of knowledge which means she could have been able to hold the asgards conciousness and their massivly superior intelect. they could have studied her and used her genetic code as a template for future clones and solved their problem.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

i'm pretty sure thor said in the ep with loki, that neither o'neil, nor humans in general were the answer, i doubt remember anyything about "coming close". Also its likely that a developed enough brain wasnt the only problem, the asgard probably couldnt just download to any body, othervise they could have made one themselves. An analogy would be a computer program, developed for a specific operating system, so it works only on that and no others, so the asgard mind could require a specific physiology to work.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Originally posted by Character View Post
      i'm pretty sure thor said in the ep with loki, that neither o'neil, nor humans in general were the answer, i doubt remember anyything about "coming close". Also its likely that a developed enough brain wasnt the only problem, the asgard probably couldnt just download to any body, othervise they could have made one themselves. An analogy would be a computer program, developed for a specific operating system, so it works only on that and no others, so the asgard mind could require a specific physiology to work.
      no in the episode fragile balance, with loki, thor only says this-

CARTER: "Is it true that Colonel O'Neill is the key to solving your cloning problems?"

THOR: "No."

O'NEILL: "But I thought I was advanced."

THOR: "Indeed you are O'Neill, but our scientists have already determined that while you are an important step forward in the evolutionary chain, the missing link we have been searching for still eludes us."

O'NEILL: "I'm sorry."

THOR: "Again, I apologize for any inconvenience Loki may have caused."

it says that oniells an inportant step forward but the key "link" still eludes them which means that it involves something to do with humans or else they wouldnt bother studying us, so if they got there hands on an ancient, who is way more advanced than us, its very likely that she pocesses the missing link.

and i dont think that they would have a problem downloading their conciousness into a human brain because the brain is merely a chemical computer and if the asgard can put their mind onto regular computers i see no reason that they cant be transfered into a human brain, but the only problem is that they would proboly develop the problem orlin did and the mind would fail, but since the ancients minds are more advanced and proboly as good if not better than the asgards then they would have no problem holding it effectively.
      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

How should the girl from frozen posses the missing link? i mean shes just more advanced biologicly right? doesnt mean she is the missing link. As i said in the previous post, the brain may be a computer, but not all software can be put in any computer. Also i find it interesting that the asgard genetic problem existed while the ancients were still around, which would mean that either the ancients couldnt solve it either, or they were not friends anymore with the asgard. Either way, pegasgard had access to ancients, that didnt seem to solve their problem completely though.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Originally posted by Character View Post
          How should the girl from frozen posses the missing link? i mean shes just more advanced biologicly right? doesnt mean she is the missing link. As i said in the previous post, the brain may be a computer, but not all software can be put in any computer. Also i find it interesting that the asgard genetic problem existed while the ancients were still around, which would mean that either the ancients couldnt solve it either, or they were not friends anymore with the asgard. Either way, pegasgard had access to ancients, that didnt seem to solve their problem completely though.
          if the asgards conciousness cant be transfered into human brains then theres no point in trying to study humans for the answer but since they did then that would mean that they were capable of transfering their minds into the human brain. the only reason that they cant is because it would mean giving up their massivly superior intelect so they are searching for a way to use human physiology but still keep their superior intelect and they got all excited when they discovered that oniell could hold the entire library of the ancients for that reason because he was one step closer to their goal.

i mean one generation ago, that wouldnt be possible, as said by loki in the same episode, however now it is. loki thought that he could somehow manage to get the brain to hold their massivly superior intelect without failing but it just wasnt possible according to thor but it was one step closer to being able to hold the asgards superior intelect and it gave them hope that in a few more generations they might find the missing link.

now why i say that ayiana is the missing link is because she is the first evelution of the human species and we sort of de evolved when we evolved after the ancients seeded life so she is what we are going to be after millions of years of evolution so in other words, one generation ago was like link #1 and oniell was like link #2 and ayiana is like link # 3,000,000 and since the link the asgards are looking for has to be somewhere in between one generation ago and ayiana, ayiana is pretty much the missing link plus a lot of other links put together so if the asgards were looking for a human that could hold their intelect ayiana would be that one. i mean her mind would be capable of holding the asgards massivly superior intelect which is precisely the link they were searching for.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

their gene problem is a plothole. using genes from the ancient girl and the early asgard, +DNA resequencer shoudlve saved them

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              their gene problem is a plothole. using genes from the ancient girl and the early asgard, +DNA resequencer shoudlve saved them
              Maybe the Asgard just didn't know we had any of them. the SGC often proved to be quite secretive even towards its allies. Moreover, we've never seen that device works on non-human.

Apart from that, I did understand that Asgards were top notch in genetics. I consider that it either their problem had no practical solution or the solutions they already found were not acceptable for them.

IMHO, they finally came to the point where they wondered about the future of their race and just hadn't the strength to continue anymore. Remember that they had lost their ability to reproduce long ago. Their population has not really changed for the past decades.

Believe it or not, despite their tech wonders, they were just socially stagnating. It had to end.
              La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
              L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

i get that. but do you have ANY idea how a genetic problem can be unsolvable? at worst, the asgard couldve just engineered a new body and use a computer implant to house their minds. and earth tried to help the asgard with their clone problem. "covenant"

Comment

If the Asgard can make uber beams of death which take down Ori motherships they should have been able to solve their genetic problem. Maybe the Asgard were so focused on military developments for the replicator war that they seriously lacked in the area of genetics?...Yeah right. Plothole.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

in order for their gene problem to be unsolvable. then they have ignored their problem for over 10000 years! and wouldnt you notice your race is turning from a humanoid to a small 1m heigh alien? or you are becoming infertile(which is VERY BAD FOR ANY RACE). actually, the asgard coulve reproduced through cloning aswell. just remove what makes them mindless. after all, a real life clone does not have your memories. asgard transferr their minds. if they dont then you have more smart asgard who do think and act like you would genetically do but experience counts aswell. if you are afraid of fire cause you've been burned as a kid, then thats an experience. and you're clone wont have that one, and thus wouldnt be afraid of fire. old jack will be vastly different from his clone. after all, his clone will have a happy life. and go to college. and so has about 50-60 years of life experience,+ modern day knowledge. so he can be VERY popular at his school, the smartest kid, the best kid and when he goes to the army, he will be able to pretty much beat any ensign in pretty much anything.

Comment

ignored it they have not (sorry, my inner yoda is speaking again) as they have studied other races (us for example) in order to find what they have lost.

they might have not had the resources to research it on the scale they would have needed to, as they had to pool all their resources to fight the replicators, keep the goa'uld from fully taking over milkyway etc. which is a large stack of problems so they probably never had the time to kick back and research that.

greetings LAX

Comment

do you have any idea how simple it is to kill a starting genetic problem ?i mean, htey would have to ignore it for 10000 years and only THEN start working on it and only THEN you cannot repair it with ease. how come they never noticed them turning from humanoids to little grey creatures?

Comment

I dont get why the Asgard didnt just engineer new bodies from scratch? If you know enough about DNA to clone, and know enough to know what the problem is you should know enough to assemble a fresh one from scratch without the problem. Im kinda curious wut the actual problem was, lack of a reproductive system for one. What other physical system are affected by those organs. We also dont know how often they were cloned or how long new bodies lasted. Thor went through like 20, but he was in a high risk job. If the average asgard changed bodies every 60 years its not so bad, if its every 3 months thats not soo great.

And since they were adept at storing minds digitally they should have had other options. Robotic bodies (replicators anyone?) or even erasing some of their memories or knowledge so they can fit into crappier human brains.

Maybe the Asgard were so focused on military developments for the replicator war that they seriously lacked in the area of genetics?...Yeah right. Plothole.
                          I think this was the reason they didnt solve it, they were beaten back soo badly by the replicators that they had completely abandoned their galaxy and were hiding in the void between galaxies begging humans to save them. If that dosent derail your cloning research program i dont know wut will.

And i object to problems with obvious solutions being called plotholes imho.
                          Last edited by kymeric; 23 March 2009, 05:13 AM.

Comment

IMO its a plothole. a big one.

Comment

The Asgard were genetically challenged.
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                              X