Time Dialation Field and Shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Dialation Field and Shields

okay, as we all proboly know, the asgards gave us TD technology in unending which we use to avoid destruction by the ori when the shields were failing. now my question is, why wont the shields buffer while in a TD field? i mean if we were talkin about one that say covered an entire planet and there were 2 ships inside the field and they fired at each other untill there shields were nearly depleted but then stopped, its reasonalbe to assume that their shields would come back up to 100% eventually, right? so then why wouldnt it have worked for SG-1 aboared deadalus, i mean the only reasonable reason why it didint is because the TD field just dialated time inside the ship and ignored the almost failing shields outside the ship. so if that were the case then we should create a TD field that will activate and create a field around the whole ship to allow the shield to repair because theoretically it would give us unlimited shield strength.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
    okay, as we all proboly know, the asgards gave us TD technology in unending which we use to avoid destruction by the ori when the shields were failing. now my question is, why wont the shields buffer while in a TD field? i mean if we were talkin about one that say covered an entire planet and there were 2 ships inside the field and they fired at each other untill there shields were nearly depleted but then stopped, its reasonalbe to assume that their shields would come back up to 100% eventually, right? so then why wouldnt it have worked for SG-1 aboared deadalus, i mean the only reasonable reason why it didint is because the TD field just dialated time inside the ship and ignored the almost failing shields outside the ship. so if that were the case then we should create a TD field that will activate and create a field around the whole ship to allow the shield to repair because theoretically it would give us unlimited shield strength.
    Just to say it .. it was the oddessy they use in unending.

I say it gonna work if you are in the TD and rapair te shield to max, but one thing might be that it takes all the power to keep the TD field up.

But then again the oddessy had the normal power of a DSC-304, 1 ZPM and even the asgard power core, so I say that it have the power to use it.

But it be awesome if you can make a TD field and repair the ship and keep fighting your enemy
    Shows I see:Stargate, Bones, Fringe, Supernatural, V 2009, Top gear, Criminal Minds, Sanctuary
    Things I like:Kids, My wife, My god old Ferrari, My(wife´s) Audi RS4, Intel PC

Comment

Time dilation fields can only be used to give yourself more time to think or plan, they can't be used to fix things because that's too easy.

Comment

maybe it worked like a cloak, through the shield emitters or something?
        sigpic

Spoiler:
        Originally posted by IMDB
        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
        Hehe

Comment

the shield couldt activate cause there was no time to raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            the shield couldt activate cause there was no time to raise it.
            but i remember her saying that if her plan didint work then the shields will fail and the ship will be destroyed which would indicate that they were already up but just like at 5 or 10 percent which wouldnt be enough to withstand another shot.

but aside from that, it makes no sense that they wouldnt have been able to recharge the shields if the TD field extended out and around the ship encompasing the shields as well. i mean the only reason that they wouldnt have been able to recharge the shield that i can think of was that the field encompassed the ship but not the active shields so the TD wouldnt be able to speed up their recharging to be able to withstand many more shots. now if this were the case, then why not simply extend the field to encompass the active shields, obviously for that episode this would have had to be purposefully overlooked or else they wouldnt be stuck but for future ships, this feature could be incorporated into the design so that it automatically activates when the shields reach a certin level and allows the shields to recharge.

and if the TD field can be manipulated, then it might even be possible to create one just around the shield componets that recharge the shield and the shield itself and it would, to the crews and the enemys point of view, instantly recharge once activated and this way the crew wont have to sit in a TD field for an hour or so and it would give us virtually unlimited shield strength.
            STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Why not just add in some extra capacitors and a second or third set of shield emitters?
              With just some fast charging capacitors and extras power generators the shields could be made to last a few times longer, extra power generators, like 2 or 3 would make the shields as strong or close to the strength of the Odyssey's when powered off of a ZPM.
              If you can program back-up shield emitters to project a new field outside of the old, nearly depleted one, when it gets knocked down to 10 or 20% strength then you wouldn't need to worry about localized TDF generators and could let your shield emitters cool down as even fully powered Asgard ones would wear out eventually when under stress.

If you can guarantee that TD tech can allow your emitters to cool down in say a nano second of real, galactic time before the next hit comes then you wouldn't need extra shield emitters, but there's still a chance that some shields can fail so back-up emitters and a boosted power supply would all be useful IMO.

Comment

in unending by the time the TDF activated the beam was too close and activating (recharged)shields would take too long. the beam was perhaps .4 seconds away from the hull

Comment

Yeah, but killman what hes trying to say is if they were already up, so why could they not recharge them. Anyway, heres how i see it:

1. Writer's thought it would make us too powerful, then again robably never even thought of this.

2. The shield was down, and we could not raise it in time

3. The laws of physics interfered and kicked carters ass for even attempting it.

Physics: Hey, WTF maaan!
                  Carter: what?
                  Physics: Why you tryin' to screw up all ma rulez and ****!
                  Carter: Cause otherwise were going to be incinerated by that highly concentrated charged particle beam weapon about 4 seconds away from hitting the trinium hull.
                  Physics: Wait, huh....what?! I didnt understand a word of that. Meh whatever you cant do that, it would screw u the entire space/time continuum what not people are RAGING on about these days, im telling you i preffered life when everything was a single cell organism, geez.
                  *physics bends carter over and spanks her until she promises not to go through with the plan*

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

shields probably were outside the TDF

Comment

But what if they used the shield emitors to have the TDF up?
                      Like SGA did, they converted the shield emitors to cloak.
                      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Im guessing that wouldnt be possible. A time dillation field has always been shown to need its own generator, and cannot be created through projecting it by shield emitters. I'm guessing a plot hole, or lazyness on the writers behalf.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
                          Im guessing that wouldnt be possible. A time dillation field has always been shown to need its own generator, and cannot be created through projecting it by shield emitters. I'm guessing a plot hole, or lazyness on the writers behalf.
                          i agree.

with most things above: Have backup generators or even more have several shield layers active all times (first layer down - generators for first layer go into recharge/cooldown mode - second layer takes the heat and so on

as for sticking ship components into time bubbles: Why not (as emergency cooldown for example, to be used if all fails)

as for the dialation generator needing its own projectors etc. totaly independent of the shields:

sure is the case, as they are different things (a cloak and a shield do the same, only differently - while a cloak bends the light around an object making it invisible (my theory on how the cloak works) a shields bends everything else around the ship (a cloak does not keep solid objects/energies (other then light) from reaching the cloaked object) in order to protect it.

greetings LAX

Comment

the ori beam was perhaps already inside the shields so maybe they couldnt activate it

so maybe the TD fields replaced the shield and thats what slowed the ori beam
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                              the ori beam was perhaps already inside the shields so maybe they couldnt activate it

so maybe the TD fields replaced the shield and thats what slowed the ori beam
                              Maybe, but the distance was pretty far, and 304 shields dont extend that far.

Did you not just read what ive said? or the person under me? Shield emitters cannot project a time dillation field. There is no way to configure it to do so, as it has always been shown to need its own generator.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Working...
                              X