Galaxies Colliding??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galaxies Colliding??

so i found some interesting new on my msn homepage today,nasa's spitzer space telescope caught something incredibly fascinating.
    http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archi...aspx?GT1=43001

Cool, nice spot.
    Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

No a galaxy colliding but it's a radio galaxy attacking another galaxy:
      http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ch...ws/07-139.html

The thing is I'm working on this data for my final year project

Comment

hows that going for u?i didnt understand half of what the article said but it is interesting.so can u explain in a dumb downed version wat is happening?

Comment

Basically, all galaxies have supermassive black holes at the centre. Some are active (called active galactic nuclei). These AGN, are eating matter all the time and produce "jets". These jets can be hundreds of light years long. In the case of 3c321, one of the jets actually came into contact with a nearby galaxy.

Comment

I thik i read that somewhere along the line in the very distant future the milkyway will collide with andromeda.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
              I thik i read that somewhere along the line in the very distant future the milkyway will collide with andromeda.
              Yes, it's expected to produce the Milkomeda galaxy in about 3 billion years. If Earth is between the two centres then we are likely to be pulled apart. If we're on the other side of the Milky Way we're likely to have the solar system ejected into intergalactic space.

Comment

Yes. National Geographic channel just aired a show called "Monster of the Milky Way", an examination of black holes, what they are and their role in the life and death of galaxies. In it they show, using CGI effects, not only the impending collision of Andromeda and MW, but entire clusters of galaxies colliding.

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                Yes, it's expected to produce the Milkomeda galaxy in about 3 billion years. If Earth is between the two centres then we are likely to be pulled apart. If we're on the other side of the Milky Way we're likely to have the solar system ejected into intergalactic space.
                Milkodmeda? Not bad. Or how about Andromedilky Way?

Hopefully the three billion years will allow us time to plan a move to quieter part of the universe.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Yes, I've heard that some where aswell...
                  ...but it'll be in like 2 bilion years...
                  sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                    What if we're halfway between those two points?
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                      What if we're halfway between those two points?
                      Nothing special. We'll just sort of stay in the same general area. Getting thrown into intergalactic space isn't a problem either, it just means there's a few less stars nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                        Or how about Andromedilky Way?
                        Nice!

One thing I'm curious about is, suppose the galactic core is indeed a super massive black hole, how would 2 galaxies colliding affect the properties of the 2 cores/black holes? Will they form a super-super massive black hole?

I'm assuming they won't be able to coexist upon collision as their respective gravitational pull would conflict with each other. So would they pull apart anything that's in their wake, destroying half of each galaxy in the process?
                        "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

wow this is all very confusing but also from i did understand pretty darn intersting....also i had no idea we were going to collide with another galaxy!!??

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
                            wow this is all very confusing but also from i did understand pretty darn intersting....also i had no idea we were going to collide with another galaxy!!??
                            Don't worry. We have plenty of time to get out of the way. After it happens, however, a major lawsuit will ensue that will last for many millions of years after that.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
                              Nice!

One thing I'm curious about is, suppose the galactic core is indeed a super massive black hole, how would 2 galaxies colliding affect the properties of the 2 cores/black holes? Will they form a super-super massive black hole?

I'm assuming they won't be able to coexist upon collision as their respective gravitational pull would conflict with each other. So would they pull apart anything that's in their wake, destroying half of each galaxy in the process?
                              Well if you go back a couple of weeks, there was an article about researchers finding to merging black holes:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...tml?source=rss

It is possible, that when we merge with andromeda, that our SMBH will get "switch on" and so the new Milkromeda galaxy will contain an active galactic nuclei.

Comment

Working...
                              X