Stargate sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate sizes

We've seen 3 different sizes of stargate in sg1, but what would happen if you travelled from one size to another?
    In one episode Orlin builds a mini stargate in Carters basement and goes through it to a normal stargate. But what would happen if someone walked through a normal stargate into that one? they'd be stuck because they wouldn't fit through the event horizon?
    if someone went through a normal one and exited a supergate would they be super big?
    I'm basically wondering what would happen. If you sent a jumper through a normal gate and it tried to exit a small gate that it didn't fit through would the jumper be shrunk so it could exit.
    Or enlarged in the case of the supergate?
    I know Orlin jumps through the mini one and comes out the normal gate the same size but it doesn't make sense what would happen the other way. Would they just cease to exist?

My guess is that an object that war too large to exit the small gate would be stored in the buffer...as the "toaster gate" had no buffer that we know of the object would be deleted.

The whole thing about changing the object size...no.

The tollans built a gate as well.

sigpic

Comment

Normal Gate -> Supergate = You're the same size, you just come out of a super large Gate

Orlin Gate -> Supergate = Just fine.

Orlin Gate -> Normal Gate = We know you're OK

Normal Gate or Supergate -> Orlin Gate = n/a*

*I don't think you could even dial into an Orlin Gate, that thing was a one shot deal, like a one way ticket. His 'Gate' was an exception, and other than the fried one in Sam's basement, I don't think any others even exist.

Comment

Normal gate>supergate=dying in space

Supergate>normalgate=coming throu exept for large ships.

You don't get larger or any thing.
        sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

The stargate networks in MW and Pegasus, along with the Puddlejumpers, were all designed by the Ancients. There's no evidence that there were any other gate sizes during their times, so the issue presented here wouldn't be of concern to them.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

The size of the gate does not, in my opinion, correlate to the size of the wormhole. Since everything is demolecularised when reaching the gate horizon, the original size of the object won't matter, so the wormhole can be any size and still allow the matter stream through. So the size matters at the horizon of the gate. If the gate horizon is too small for it to rebuild the object, there are two options: Slice the object into gate-sized chunks or don't remolecularise the object. The ancient gate code probably doesn't have the capacity to slice the object up, because otherwise parts of objects could be sent through the gate. So we must conclude that it simply cannot reform the original object. Although a counter argument for this is when Jack left his hand in the SGC gate to keep it open, which meant only part of the object was reformed. It's possible the the receiver can reform parts of objects, but you would probably end up with just the middle bit of the object.

As an off-topic thought: when in SG-1 we saw Jaffa escaping through the SGC gate and one of their staff weapons was cut when the gate shutdown. Did that Jaffa simply cease to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgified View Post
              if someone went through a normal one and exited a supergate would they be super big?
              Don't be absurd: we've seen someone (Sam and Orlin) go from a small 'Gate to a normal-sized without changing size, so there is no reason to think that anything different would happen if you went from a normal 'Gate to a Supergate.

Furthermore, there is the issue of conservation of mass: the only way for a person to come out the Supergate "supersized" would be if they came out as a gas.

Originally posted by Dodgified View Post
              I'm basically wondering what would happen. If you sent a jumper through a normal gate and it tried to exit a small gate that it didn't fit through would the jumper be shrunk so it could exit.
              I am going to make an educated guess and say that a Supergate cannot connect to a normal sized 'Gate, specifically so that this problem cannot become an issue. A normal 'Gate connecting to a Supergate is fine, because that would not raise the risk of a traveler being too large.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
              X