Sound Waves Through a Wormhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Waves Through a Wormhole

I was thinking about this and I was wondering If it would work. Do sound waves travel through a wormhole? Can you walk right up to the event horizon and scream? Would they hear you on the other side? And for my second question, If you had a hose, lets say there were water spouts on both sides, and you just let it lay through the wormhole, without pulling it all the way through, so you could see it on both sides, Can the side with the incoming worm hole hook up the hose and turn it on and have it go to to the other side? I dunno about the second one, but seriously why can't sound waves travel through an open wormhole like radio waves?

trying to put sound waves through a wormhole would cause major problems with gateworlds SEARCH FUNCTION.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

They really should! Be able to pass through the event horizon that is. Guess the only reason why it is not in the series is probably that it would look silly Having a character standing in front of a stargate and shouting to someone who allready passed through it

Comment

No, it's because of the type of wave.
        Originally posted by Craig Charles
        "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by delta1135 View Post
          I was thinking about this and I was wondering If it would work. Do sound waves travel through a wormhole? Can you walk right up to the event horizon and scream? Would they hear you on the other side? And for my second question, If you had a hose, lets say there were water spouts on both sides, and you just let it lay through the wormhole, without pulling it all the way through, so you could see it on both sides, Can the side with the incoming worm hole hook up the hose and turn it on and have it go to to the other side? I dunno about the second one, but seriously why can't sound waves travel through an open wormhole like radio waves?
          The hose thing wouldn't work; it would need to be entirely in the wormhole for it to appear on the other side at all.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            The hose thing wouldn't work; it would need to be entirely in the wormhole for it to appear on the other side at all.
            Right... 38 Minutes.. Forgot about that.

Comment

Sound requires matter, radio waves (or light or gamma rays) don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ggf31416 View Post
                Sound requires matter, radio waves (or light or gamma rays) don't.
                So you could shine a flash light through.

Comment

Originally posted by delta1135 View Post
                  So you could shine a flash light through.
                  No. Light is made up of particals (photons), but light is also made up of waves, but i dont think it would work without the particals... Its rather disturbing that light is both of these things, and that we dont understand why it is both. I think Mckay said this also in "Tao of Rodney", and he found out why, but forgot it late on...
                  Last edited by Chevron999; 01 March 2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Sound waves need matter to travel through, the inside of a wormhole is a vacuum, so it will not work. Also the event horizon is what demolecularises matter for travel through a wormhole, sound waves have no matter so will not be demolecularised. The event horizon only allows through photons in a given range of the electromagnetic spectrum, radio frequencies are allowed through but visible light isn't.

Also light is both a particle and a wave, which is caused by the particle-wave duality of matter as governed by quantum mechanics. Everything acts as both a particle and a wave, but not at the same time. Which one they are acting as at a specific moment is down to whether there is an observer. The explanation of this is based on the interpretation of quantum mechanics that you adhere to.

Comment

Working...
                    X