This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone catch Event Horizon?

I was just wondering if anyone caught the movie 'Event Horizon' on Sci-Fi last night (5/9)? If so, what do you think? (I dunno Spoilers)

IMHO it started out interesting enough, but then got lost somewhere. Towards the end it felt like Army of Darkness for me: Was it meant to be scary or kinda stupid? I missed a little bit of the beginning so that might have helped. To me it seemed that the extra characters (the ones that got killed off) didn't have a lot of 'depth' to them. I didn't really like Sam Neil in this. Although it was a good time killer, I was a little dissapointed that it really didn't have that much to do with Stargate (an Event Horizon and a Docter Weir)
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

A waste of a good cast, which is a shame. Especially Sean Pertwee. His last few seconds--Wow.

I thought the Babylon 5 movie "Thirdspace" was terrible until I saw Event Horizon. Nope, "Thirdspace" is much better. At least everybody--including the aliens--has a *reason*.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

I saw this movie a few years back on HBO. I was under 10 and I couldnt go to bed.
      "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
        I saw this movie a few years back on HBO. I was under 10 and I couldnt go to bed.
        It did get kinda funky at the end. The ending wasn't really what I would classify as an 'ending'.
        Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
        Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
        Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
        Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
        Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
        Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
        Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

This film ROCKS!!!!!!!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I like this movie. I think its good and scary. I love the ending. Sam Neil is creepy at the end.

Comment

Caught it a few years back. Very wierd movie with a good sound track.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Definately a very strange movie. I agree that Sam Neill was very creepy at the end.
                "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

Saw it, own it, still one of very few films I like to watch while distracted by chores. With all the lights on.

It's inevitably one of those films you watch after the sun dissapears.

Comment

Personally I was very disappointed in this film. It had a very promising start, then became a second rate horror film which made me think the writers scrapped together the script while drinking margaritas on the beach.

The whole scene with Sam Neil explaining to the crew about what quantum theory is silly, you'd think a space freighter crew of the future would know about these things.

This movie wants to imitate Solaris, a much better film imo.

Several things are never really resolved - the life-form readings detected on the ship, the exact fate of the previous crew, why the characters follow what they KNOW to be apparitions etc. Also, the whole thing about "breaking" the laws of Physics is dumb - you can't break them, only observe them. The pursuit of knowledge is something to strive for, but here we are cautioned against trying lest we open a portal to "hell".

whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie
                      Personally I was very disappointed in this film. It had a very promising start, then became a second rate horror film which made me think the writers scrapped together the script while drinking margaritas on the beach.

The whole scene with Sam Neil explaining to the crew about what quantum theory is silly, you'd think a space freighter crew of the future would know about these things.

This movie wants to imitate Solaris, a much better film imo.

Several things are never really resolved - the life-form readings detected on the ship, the exact fate of the previous crew, why the characters follow what they KNOW to be apparitions etc. Also, the whole thing about "breaking" the laws of Physics is dumb - you can't break them, only observe them. The pursuit of knowledge is something to strive for, but here we are cautioned against trying lest we open a portal to "hell".

whatever
                      But not everybody knows how Nuclear Fusion works right now do they?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Personally this film just creeped the sh** out of me. I didn't like it or dislike it. I just found it extremely disturbing. The only reason I even watched it is because hubby wanted to see it. Now it's one of his favorite movies. Although I think that sometimes he just puts it on to mess with me. Can't you just feel the love?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                          I was just wondering if anyone caught the movie 'Event Horizon' on Sci-Fi last night (5/9)? If so, what do you think? (I dunno Spoilers)

IMHO it started out interesting enough, but then got lost somewhere. Towards the end it felt like Army of Darkness for me: Was it meant to be scary or kinda stupid? I missed a little bit of the beginning so that might have helped. To me it seemed that the extra characters (the ones that got killed off) didn't have a lot of 'depth' to them. I didn't really like Sam Neil in this. Although it was a good time killer, I was a little dissapointed that it really didn't have that much to do with Stargate (an Event Horizon and a Docter Weir)
                          i hated that movie...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                          Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                          Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

I wanted to like this movie when I saw it (years ago). Great cast, great production value, but I agree that halfway through it looks like the writers/director went out for cocktails with Sam Raimi and Clive Barker and did a 180 on the storyline. I loved the first half, but the second half - while not being horrible in and of itself - just didn't mesh for me.

What's really scary is that you saw it on SciFi, which means you didn't even get to see the really, really gooey bits! There's also about 30 minutes of footage that was cut from the theatrical release in order for it to make an R-rating to begin with! So, I wonder if the plot is somewhere in those missing 30 minutes?

I have no problem with scifi/horror, except that there seems to be so little of it that is good. Alien, Hellraiser (the first one), The Thing (1982)...all good movies, IMHO. The director of Event Horizon did go on to direct Resident Evil, which I did like. But, c'mon, who doesn't like rabid, undead, killer dobermans?
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
                            X