X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

How Street Fighter's Kristin Kreuk mastered Chun-Li's moves

There is now an entire generation for whom Street Fighter is just a video game: They're too young to remember 1994's Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicle in which the Muscles from Brussels played Guile, fighting Raul Julia's Bison with the help of Ming-Na Wen's Chun-Li.

For this generation, there is Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. Starring Kristin Kreuk, whom the kids know from Smallville, as the title character, Legend tells the origin of the game's iconic female fighter. Chun-Li takes to the streets of Bangkok looking for her father, who has been kidnapped by Bison (Neal McDonough), training in the spiritual ways of projectile light energy and wire-enhanced martial arts.

At the film's press junket last Thursday in Beverly Hills, Calif., Kreuk sat cross-legged and barefoot on a Beverly Hilton bed. She noshed on hotel-room pistachios, with a pink scarf shielding her neck from the unreasonably chilled central air. The following Q&A features edited excerpts of our exclusive interview. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak, opens Feb. 27.

Did you see the moves from the video game and think, "How am I going to do that for real?"

Kreuk: Yes, because I think that they're very unrealistic in nature. Then she says stuff like, "Spinning bird kick," which is funny but really not dramatic. So yeah, I did.

So then you pulled it off anyway.

Kreuk: That's Dion. That's all [action choreographer] Dion Lam. He was really great, and he found ways to make that stuff work so that the fans would still like it, I hope, and it also looks somewhat realistic.

Did they do anything to enhance your Asian features?

Kreuk: Mm-mm. Did I look more Asian, did you think? I think because the makeup artist really got rid of a lot of any of my shadowing around my eyes, it made them look a little flatter. Probably that was it.

How did it feel to wear the blue dress and have your hair in the buns?

Kreuk: It felt fine. It's hard to fight in that stuff, really hard to fight in heels and a dress, because I was used to having pants, and I could move more and I was more flexible. They made the dress loose on purpose so that we could fit pads in it and do a lot more movement. The buns are cute. I felt like a 2-year-old, but they were cute. ...

Did you ever look at the 1994 film with Ming-Na as Chun-Li?

Kreuk: I saw some of it on YouTube. I watched some of her scenes with Raul Julia. Very different. ...

What were your thoughts on the stigma of video game movies?

Kreuk: I didn't think about it a lot. I know that there isn't a huge success rate. They've done a lot of female-driven video-game adaptations that have been really successful or not so successful, depending on which one we talk about. I thought that this was different, because there was a story to it, and that was the most important part to me, that there was something that I could grasp onto and understand and relate to instead of just fighting all the way through, because that isn't appealing to me.

You got injured at one point. What happened?

Kreuk: I got punched pretty hard and I got chucked into a low tableside. It's interesting. Dion's stunt guys are amazing, and I could do anything and they would be able to calibrate to my inexperience, but the Thai stunt guys weren't as experienced. So they were in a similar position to me, and neither of us were experienced enough to know when someone was doing something that was a little off timing-wise. That's when you get punched. You see the punch [in the movie].

Which sequence was that?

Kreuk: In the alley fight there's a sequence where he pulls back and swings over Chun-Li's head, and she ducks. I came up too early, and he was swinging hard. The other one is when Chun-Li goes into the table there and then jumps up and then does the dive roll out with the shovel and the stick. He was throwing me too light, and I was like, "It's OK, you can throw me harder." But instead of throwing me harder and across, he threw me harder and down. I don't know if anyone's ever thrown you to the ground before. No one had really thrown me to the ground before, but it's hard to stop the momentum, and I just whacked my head. It's brutal. I hit my head, and I was talking to all the stunt guys. I'm like, "Will this go away? It's tightening, is that normal?" They're like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. It'll just be a few days. It'll tighten more, and then it'll be fine."

Are you signed for more Street Fighters?

Kreuk: I'm signed for a sequel, I believe, that's it.

Is there any telling whether it would be another Chun-Li story or have her playing a supporting role to a new origin?

Kreuk: They have a ton of options in that regard, so they could go Chun-Li, they could go any other character in the entire history. They have the option to do movies all over the world.

Do you have a preference?

Kreuk: I would love to support. I would love to. Everyone else got to go travel and enjoy Bangkok, and I was just workin' my arse off.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/how-str...-lis-moves.php

Taboo revealed hidden talents as an assassin in Street Fighter

Chun-Li (Kristin Kreuk, right) trains with her master, Gen (Robin Shou).
    And you thought Taboo was just a singer-rapper.

Taboo may be best known as a member of the chart-topping music group Black Eyed Peas, but he's also an actor and a Jeet Kune Do enthusiast. And he'll show off those talents this weekend, when he co-stars opposite Kristin Kreuk, Neal McDonough, Michael Clarke Duncan, Chris Klein, Robin Shou and Moon Bloodgood in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

The film is based on the popular video game franchise of the same name and it features Taboo as Vega, a masked baddie with a taloned arm who helps Bison (McDonough) make life hell for the heroine, Chun-Li (Kreuk).

SCI FI Wire recently spoke to the clearly stoked Taboo about playing Vega. Following are edited excerpts from that exclusive interview.

You actually went to acting school, but it just so happened that Black Eyed Peas took off before you could really pursue an acting career, right?

Taboo: Right. I'm going back to my first love, which is performing, being on stage, being in front of a camera. I'm also a martial-arts practitioner, so it was an easy transition to go do Street Fighter, which is action-packed and let me showcase my acting and martial-arts capabilities.

Were you a fan of the old game?

Taboo: Definitely. Just being a part of the martial-arts world, you have to know video games and television shows and movies that have similarities, and Street Fighter was definitely one of those games that you had to know. If I was going to play any video game it'd be things like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

How different is this film from the earlier Street Fighter movie?

Taboo: The first Street Fighter was with Jean-Claude Van Damme and it was to the T exactly like the video game, and that movie crashed and burned because it was so to the T, because Blanka (Robert Mammone) was green and Bison (Raul Julia) was wearing a general outfit. It was just too cliche and too cartoony. So people couldn't take it seriously. But with this film, it's more action-packed. It's directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak and also the choreography for the fight scenes is done by Dion Lam, who is an extraordinary Hong Kong stunt coordinator, and he brought the martial-arts element to it. And it's more about the martial arts and the action-packed drama behind it. Kristin Kreuk did an amazing job, and Neal McDonough did an amazing job as well.

What interested you most about Vega?

Taboo: He's the one character that you don't know if he's mortal or immortal. In the movie he wears a mask all the time, and he has a claw, and he's in and out. He does his dirty work, and he's gone before you know it, and you're looking to see more. It's a small part, but it's a huge role because it has a legacy and it has an enormous cult following.

How did you like the look of the character and the claw?

Taboo: I loved it, man. I wasn't wearing a matador outfit, and I wasn't flamboyant and very androgynous. I wanted to give Vega more of an edgy, "Don't f--k with me" vibe, as opposed to, "Hi, I'm a matador. Here, here's my bull. Come and chase my red flag." It was more about the mystique of the character and the darkness. This is a darker movie, which is what I like about it.

If this film is a hit you just know they're thinking franchise. How into that would you be?

Taboo: Oh, I'm already there. I've already talked to Hyde Park Entertainment and to Fox and I let them know that, hands-down, I want to be a part of this [franchise]. I loved the cast, the crew, the corporate people down to the stagehands. I had a great time doing it, and if I come back I'd like to learn about the history of the character. Why is Vega always wearing a mask? Even though I know the concept, I'd like the story to be told a little bit more on why he wants such vengeance against people. His whole thing is that he wants to protect his face because he's very vain. He's trying to keep his face from being cut or scratched. Why is he like that?

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/taboo-r...et-fighter.php

Comment

Review: Kristen Kreuk wanders far from Smallville to conquer Bangkok in Street Fighter

Movies based on video games have become so reliably bad that it's more of a surprise when one is good.

Well ... none of them are good, but when one of them is only mediocre.

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is no such pleasant surprise.

Spoiler:
      It's not that there were so many unanswered questions about Chun-Li in the Street Fighter video games, but that she is as good a character as any on which to base a movie. The 1994 Street Fighter film chose Guile as its lead, since he was the character whom their star, Jean-Claude Van Damme, could most convincingly resemble (though he couldn't get the voice of an American soldier). Kristen Kreuk less resembles the game's Asian stereotype, but seems a perfectly reasonable action heroine on whom to launch a franchise.

The film has a totally banal story, which would be fine because all it really needs to do is set up the fights. However, taking the action clichés so seriously seems condescending toward its audience, who know it's all been done before. Plus, it's inept at even getting the broad strokes right. It's not even bad in a fun way like the Van Damme one was.

Chun-Li (Kreuk) takes to the streets of Bangkok to avenge her mother's death and rescue her kidnapped father from Bison (Neal McDonough). Bison is using his Shadaloo corporation for an evil plan and he's kidnapped Chun-Li's dad. Meanwhile, cops Nash (Chris Klein) and Maya (Moon Bloodgood) team up to capture Bison while Chun-Li trains with Gen (Robin Shou) to learn how to make light balls and catch swords.

Every scene in which the film tries to explain more and more plot feels like even the actors don't know what they're talking about. Kreuk has just the right amount of gravitas to lend credibility to her role, but Klein can't deliver any of his macho tough guy banter without sounding like a little boy playing pretend. There's not even a point where it feels like he's trying to spoof the genre. He really thinks over-the-top grizzled voice is legitimate acting. Bison might be believable if he just admitted to being totally evil and stopped trying to explain his actions. There's just no fun to be had in any of this nonsense.

The fighting is completely second-rate, straight-to-video action choreography. Kreuk looks great doing the moves but it's all the standards we see in every movie post-Matrix: triple kick, flip off the wall, etc. Even Chun-Li's signature moves don't hold a candle to Alias or Kill Bill.

Or maybe it's fantastic choreography. It would be impossible to tell through all the choppy cuts. Plus, it's all set to techno music so the throbbing distracts your brain from the persistence of vision required to maintain the very illusion of film.

They give shout-outs to other memorable video game characters. Michael Clarke Duncan is the beefiest actor they could have gotten to play Balrog and Taboo handles Vega's mask and claw fine in his brief screen time. However, when they hint at a sequel to star Ryu, let's hope audiences reject that idea before Hollywood plunks any more quarters into this franchise.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/review-...of-chun-li.php

Comment

'Street Fighter' film panned by critics
        Sunday, March 1 2009, 16:05 GMT

By Mark Langshaw

Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li, the latest live action adaptation of the iconic fighting game series, has already received a number of negative reviews.

The film was released in the US on February 27, with a wave of less-than-complimentary reviews immediately appearing on Metacritic.

"It's an anonymous soup of pan-Asian action cliches slopped into the story of a fast-kicking hottie out to avenge her kidnapped father," wrote Entertainment Weekly's Adam Markovitz. "The fight scenes are saggy, the actors are stiff, and the sleepiness of it all is enough to make you nostalgic for the simple smackdown charms of the movie's namesake videogame."

The Hollywood Reporter's Frank Scheck was equally critical. "Yet another video game crashes and burns upon its translation to the big screen with this cinematic rendition of the venerable franchise," he said.

The game was previously adapted for the big screen in 1994, starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and Raul Julia. It was also slated by critics.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a...y-critics.html

Comment

Kristin Kreuk's Street Fighter comes in eighth in debut

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li did modest business in its debut over the Feb. 27 weekend, taking in about $4.7 million from 1,136 screens to place eighth among the box office contenders, Variety reported.

Meanwhile, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button may have walked away without the big awards at the Academy Awards after being nominated in top categories, but the film is turning into a worldwide success.

Over the weekend a foreign gross of $13.4 million sent Button over the $300 million mark, and the movie remained number one for the fourth consecutive weekend overseas.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/kristin...h-in-debut.php

Comment

Love Kristin Kreuk!

Comment

Working...
            X