Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a ZPM

Could Earth build a ZPM at this point?

With all of the Ancient Technology we have, and considering we have the repository of the Asgard. Is this possible? If not, maybe we could build the Asgard power systems in mass.
    sigpic

No we can't but we could jous the core to replicate NIGs(neutrino ion generators)
    sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

We could but you would have to search the ancient database for the spec's on it and then put them into the asgard core, but the problem is that the Ancient Database is HUGE!!!

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Maybe that is too lofty of a goal for now. I'm just tired of us using so many current power systems when we have Asgard, Ancient and many other technologies available to us.
        sigpic

Comment

mckay to the rescue

he could code a program designed to do a full search of the Atlantis database for anything related to energy, then filter the results down to energy production, then futher filter the results to the z.p.m., then you filter down even more until you get down to the barebones of how they work and how they are built and then you have the specs.

d**m im good

Comment

Yes it should b a search function in the database.
            And search for "ZPM" and see what comes up
            sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

basically, thats what i mean.

but, how do we know if the ancients called it a z.p.m.
              thats our name for it.

Comment

Probably creating a fully charged ZPM takes more energy than the stored in it. Then why the ancients used them? ZPMs are very compact and have a very large power output, they are better than large generators for cities, warships, etc.

Comment

Yes, we have alot of Ancient knowledge but a ZPM? I doubt it.
                  SIGN THE PETITION: http://www.savesgu.tv/petitions/mult...-sgu-petition/
                  LIKE THE FACEBOOK PAGE: http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU
                  READ THE PLAN: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...aving-Stargate
                  Spread the word! Save the gate!

Comment

Whats to say the Ancients called them "Zero Point Moduels" (ZPM's) they could have called them somehting diffrent like:

Zero Cuspis Moduels
                    Navitas Sator (Energy Creator) or something like that

Also i would love to see McKay sitting there codeing a HTML search function into the ancient database would be awesome to see him getting Pisse.d off at HTML codeing lol
                    sigpic

Comment

The closest thing we could make compared to ZPMs would be Subspace Taps, TBH each ZPM has a finite amount of power that they can provide as they draw energy from a contained region of subspace time, STs just seem to capture masses of energy from the entirety of subspace so why not just refine that technology, we could probably eventually make smaller versions of the device and even get more power out of subspace at any moment in time.
                      I'd just say Humans should forget ZPMs and work on Subspace Tap tech for our future, long term power needs.

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
                        he could code a program designed to do a full search of the Atlantis database for anything related to energy, then filter the results down to energy production, then futher filter the results to the z.p.m., then you filter down even more until you get down to the barebones of how they work and how they are built and then you have the specs.
                        There is a problem with that though: you're search has to be increadibly specific in order to refine the search to the point were the amount of information is small enough to be analyzed within a human lifetime. At the same time, every time you add a new search term, you run the risk of excluding something absolutely critical from your search.

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
                        Yes it should b a search function in the database.
                        And search for "ZPM" and see what comes up
                        I'm guessing that, even if we knew what the Ancients called them, and could thus run a search through the database for that term, the size of the result would be greater in shear volume of information than every book written in recorded history put together. We're talking about millions of years worth of records that might have some mention of ZPMs or ZPM production, yet only a tiny fraction of these records is going to have any information relevant to actually producing ZPMs.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

ZPM's could technically provide an infinate ammount of power for all eternity, however our law's of physics and the vessel that contains the pocket of space are what let's us down.

The vessel in which the pocket of space is contained is of febal design for what it contains, the power that is channled is dampened (to prevent catostrophic overload and a big BOOM) and the material itself will degrade overtime and will be damaged from usage and the more power take through it will degrade it more. When this happens the pocket of space will destroy itself, ever naturally or because the vessel is no longer regulating the power flow and the pocket of space implodes.

(I only know a small ammount of basic physiscs but here it goes)

Our Law's of physics.
                          Zero Point energy is caotic and unstable, in it's own space it remain's stable, but when we tap into that space and start to bring it into our own space it react's diffrently. Zero Point energy is naturally destructive and destroy's itself when it is under the rule of our physic's, if zero point energy occoured naturally it would have destroyed the entire universe seconds after it was born (dont start telling me the big bang didn't happen or anything.)

Here is where i got my information: ZPenergy and yes i know its wikipedia, but i also looked at diffrent scources aswell

so my guess is that the ancients made the Moduels to keep the ZPenergy in it's own environmental physics so that it didn't destroy the entire universe or something lol, and that is (IMO) why when a ZPM explodes it is so destructive.
                          sigpic

Comment

Your description of how zero point energy works and the information in the wiki page are wildly different. I can tell you that the wiki page is accurate and that zero point energy is an unusable form of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              There is a problem with that though: you're search has to be increadibly specific in order to refine the search to the point were the amount of information is small enough to be analyzed within a human lifetime. At the same time, every time you add a new search term, you run the risk of excluding something absolutely critical from your search.

I'm guessing that, even if we knew what the Ancients called them, and could thus run a search through the database for that term, the size of the result would be greater in shear volume of information than every book written in recorded history put together. We're talking about millions of years worth of records that might have some mention of ZPMs or ZPM production, yet only a tiny fraction of these records is going to have any information relevant to actually producing ZPMs.

then your could filter the results down to what you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X