A question about Goa'uld ships...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about Goa'uld ships...

So, if a ship, say, a cargo ship, was incapacitated and forced to land on a planet, how would it slow it's descent? They don't have thrusters, do they? Would the engine still have to be at least partially funcional? What if it wasn't? Would there be any way to make a landing?

They have trusters (egg SG-1 S5E17 Fail Safe).

There the engine goes offline and they use trusters to slow the cargo ship down.
    Shows I see:Stargate, Bones, Fringe, Supernatural, V 2009, Top gear, Criminal Minds, Sanctuary
    Things I like:Kids, My wife, My god old Ferrari, My(wife´s) Audi RS4, Intel PC

Comment

Think the Ha'takm, no visible engines. But it still flies through space.

Comment

Yes but it dosent do any good if you come in like Daniel and Jacob did
        sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

They have trusters (egg SG-1 S5E17 Fail Safe).

There the engine goes offline and they use trusters to slow the cargo ship down.
          Thanks! I just went and checked the episode. Maneuvering thrusters... I'd forgotten that. They were insufficient to slow the ship down without the depth of the crater, but can I assume that entry into an atmosphere would slow a ship down enough that the thrusters would work in that situation?

Yes but it dosent do any good if you come in like Daniel and Jacob did
          Which episode was that?

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post

Which episode was that?
            It is the eps. where they come to revana. it is a 2 eps show.

But take a look at (S5E15 "Summit" and S5E16 "Last Stand)
            Shows I see:Stargate, Bones, Fringe, Supernatural, V 2009, Top gear, Criminal Minds, Sanctuary
            Things I like:Kids, My wife, My god old Ferrari, My(wife´s) Audi RS4, Intel PC

Comment

Yes you should
              sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                Thanks! I just went and checked the episode. Maneuvering thrusters... I'd forgotten that. They were insufficient to slow the ship down without the depth of the crater, but can I assume that entry into an atmosphere would slow a ship down enough that the thrusters would work in that situation?
                I would think you could make it work. It would depend upon things like entry angle and speed. Take a look at 'Lost City' season 7 too, where they return to Earth and have to bypass Anubis' armada. They come in 'hot', jumping out of hyperspace close to Earth and Teal'c had a hard time breaking in time - course he had full engine capability too. Basically, I'd think you could make your scenario work if you want - or make it not work if you want! - depending on how you play with it.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks everybody! I'll have a look at those episodes, and that's a good point about where the ship comes out of hyperspace, and angle of descent... Much appreciated!

Comment

I know it's a bit late and all

But all of Goa'uld ships capable of hyperspace travel have breaking or "Deceleration" thrusters, so when they come out of hyperspace they can slow down

I would think you could make it work. It would depend upon things like entry angle and speed. Take a look at 'Lost City' season 7 too, where they return to Earth and have to bypass Anubis' armada. They come in 'hot', jumping out of hyperspace close to Earth and Teal'c had a hard time breaking in time - course he had full engine capability too. Basically, I'd think you could make your scenario work if you want - or make it not work if you want! - depending on how you play with it.

Good luck!
                    He would have been trying to use the thrusters to slow him down to a normal speed, but because of the gravitational pull of the earth he was accelerating still. Thats why they were having a hard time slowing down

I posted this to give you a little more information and to answer future questions that some people might have
                    sigpic

Comment

So are the deceleration thrusters different from the manneuvering thrusters? It that what they called them in an episode? Do you remember an episode where they were mentioned? Thanks for the info!

Comment

Well the only place that i can remmeber the Deceleration Thrusters mentioned is when Thor was talking to Carter about hyperspace travel (Can't remeber the ep sorry )

But I guess that the manuvering thrusters are used to move the ships into specific course which means that they can move the ship on all axis (X, Y, Z),

where as the deceleration thrusters are used to slow down a ship, which means they can only move along the X Axis

HOWEVER this is just speculation, the thrusters could be the same thing, just do diffrent jobs at diffrent time lol
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Comment

Thats Ok
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X