Question about Asgard Hyperdrive on Earth Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Asgard Hyperdrive on Earth Ships

Alright, we know that the main problem that was first holding back the Tauri from interstellar travel was power. Naquadria first provided a solution to that problem, but my question is what powers the Asgard Hyperdrive on Earth ships. We know that Naquadah generators don't provide enough power to open a hyperspace window otherwise we wouldn't have needed nauadria. Is there maybe some power source in the Asgard Hyperdrive itself to open a Hyperspace Window? Also if there isn't then how come the Asgard Hyperdrive's are so fast on Earth ships even thought they are underpowered, as we know the speed of a hyperdrive depends on how much power is fed to it. What does everyone else think?

Originally posted by dominiator4ever View Post
    We know that Naquadah generators don't provide enough power to open a hyperspace window otherwise we wouldn't have needed nauadria.
    They might just be using larger Naquada generators. After all, even a Tel'Tac can fit a Naquada power plant large enough to power its hyperdrive, so there is no reason to think that the same would not be true of a BC-304.

Also if there isn't then how come the Asgard Hyperdrive's are so fast on Earth ships even thought they are underpowered, as we know the speed of a hyperdrive depends on how much power is fed to it.
    My guess is that the Daedalus and its sister ships do have a large enough power plant to provide most of the power needed by an intergalactic hyperdrive. Also, it is highly possible that, in addition to a higher maximum speed, intergalactic hyperdrives are more energy efficient than mere interstellar hyperdrives, in terms of the power needed to attain a certain speed.

The real question is, if the Asgard hyperdives have their own power source, then why do they need a ZPM to operate at full power?
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Alright, we know that the main problem that was first holding back the Tauri from interstellar travel was power. Naquadria first provided a solution to that problem, but my question is what powers the Asgard Hyperdrive on Earth ships. We know that Naquadah generators don't provide enough power to open a hyperspace window otherwise we wouldn't have needed nauadria. Is there maybe some power source in the Asgard Hyperdrive itself to open a Hyperspace Window? Also if there isn't then how come the Asgard Hyperdrive's are so fast on Earth ships even thought they are underpowered, as we know the speed of a hyperdrive depends on how much power is fed to it. What does everyone else think?
      i think that our origional approach to hyperdrives was rather primitive and needed a lot of power, more than even our earliest naquada generators could provide. however, i think the asgard hyperdrives are far more advanced and efficient so that they dont need as much power to work. so this way naquada generators provide enough energy for the hyperdrive to work.

and asgard hyperdrives arent really all that fast on earth ships. it takes 18 days to get to pegasus but with a proper power source, like NIGs on an asgard ship or a ZPM, it only takes 4 days to get to pegasus.

i think the only reason we have hyperdrives is because of how advanced and efficient the asgard ones are so that it only takes very little power.
      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

and asgard hyperdrives arent really all that fast on earth ships. it takes 18 days to get to pegasus but with a proper power source, like NIGs on an asgard ship or a ZPM, it only takes 4 days to get to pegasus
        not fast? are you kidding me???

a deadalus goes 2LY/s. 2 seconds to get to the nearest star. in RL, it would probably take 8 YEARS to do that.

the oddy goes some 8 LY/s

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

a deadalus goes 2LY/s. 2 seconds to get to the nearest star. in RL, it would probably take 8 YEARS to do that.

yeah but in the show, the deadalus goes more than 4 times slower than it could be going and thats not very fast to me.

heck, if were talking about real life id even settle for the promethius that is really slow. i mean ANYTHING eith a hyperdrive would be okay.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

you know, the oddessy is supposed to be able to go as fast as the hyperdrive can, and presumably it has the latest one but if that were the case, then it would be able to go 600 LY/s because in the episode promethius thor shows up and promethius is 1200 LYs from earth and thor takes it back to earth in like 2 seconds. i mean at this speed it should only take HOURS to get to pegasus so either we really need to get working on installing that kind of hyperdrive, or the writers screwed up big time.
            STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
              and asgard hyperdrives arent really all that fast on earth ships. it takes 18 days to get to pegasus but with a proper power source, like NIGs on an asgard ship or a ZPM, it only takes 4 days to get to pegasus.
              To give you a sense of scale, we find out at the end of "Exodus" that it would take a Goa'uld Mothership 125 years to travel four million light years.

This means that it would take a Goa'uld Mothership over 90 years to reach Pegasus.

you know, the oddessy is supposed to be able to go as fast as the hyperdrive can, and presumably it has the latest one but if that were the case, then it would be able to go 600 LY/s because in the episode promethius thor shows up and promethius is 1200 LYs from earth and thor takes it back to earth in like 2 seconds. i mean at this speed it should only take HOURS to get to pegasus so either we really need to get working on installing that kind of hyperdrive, or the writers screwed up big time.
              This actually raises an interesting possibility, namely, that the maximum speed of the hyperdrive is related in some way to the distance that you are attempting to travel. If you try to go 1200 light years, you can really gun the drive, but if you try to go 3,000,000 light years, you have to operate it at a lower level to keep it from burning out.

Although I'm going to go with "the writers screwed up big time."
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

We know that Naquadah generators don't provide enough power to open a hyperspace window otherwise we wouldn't have needed nauadria.
                Well as Stargater1990 said before, it's likely that they need the naquadhria, because the Prometheus hyperdrive was a very "primitive" version.
                Even the Goa'uld ships(Alkesh, Ha'tak etc.) use naquadah to power their hyperdrives.
                Asgard hyperdrives on the other hand are more advanced. I think two things are determine the speed of a ship in hyperspace:
                1. the hyperdrive
                2. the powersource

Their is an interesting thing about the Prometheus. In season 6-8 the it looks like the two bays on both side of the ship contain the hyperdrive, because there was a blue glowing at the back of the bays.
                But in 9x15 Ethon they functioning as hangars for the F-302s.
                Maybe the Asgards equiped the ship with a better hyperdrive(as I know there was already an Asgard hyperdrive on the Prometheus in season 8, they used it to go to Atlantis) so they transform the bays into hangars.
                Of course it's just a theory. It's most likely the CGI team changed their mind.

Comment

no it actually looks like its done on purpose.

also: we only had a bit of naquahdah. we'd need to stack a ship full with naquahah generators to power a naquahdah hyperdrive.

the goauld seem to use heavy liquid naquahdah as a powersource. (Absolute Power)

also: not because its primitive. but the powercore of a hyperdrive supplies most of the power. we couldnt build a proper one. the asgard use much more powerfull hyperdrives and thus powercores, and thus we only need a hyperdrive to jump.

Comment

The main problem with Naquadriah (The stuff from Joana's planet) was that it was unstable

The more energy you tried to get from it the more unstable it became and thus the more prone to "Overloading" or spikeing it was, thats why we abandoned it.

Also Several people are correct in thinking it was because our Hyperdrives were too primitive.
                    The closest thing i can compare it too, is when car's first came out, their maximum speed was roughly (speculation) 20MPH or so. But improvements in refining petrolium (petrol) and improved methods of igniting said fuel in the engine and transfering the energy to wheels etc... has improved the maximum speed of our car, i belive now the average car can reach around 120MPH.

And the same goes for, i am guessing, Hyperdrives. We are improving the refinery process of Naqudah whiuch means we can extract more power from less fuel. And the Asgard hyperdrive has improved systems of power transfer and more effcient systems for everything else. Which i am guessing means that the energy produced from the Powercore has a greater effect on the speed than normal.... or something... i am too tired to keep on thinking
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                      To give you a sense of scale, we find out at the end of "Exodus" that it would take a Goa'uld Mothership 125 years to travel four million light years.

This means that it would take a Goa'uld Mothership over 90 years to reach Pegasus.

This actually raises an interesting possibility, namely, that the maximum speed of the hyperdrive is related in some way to the distance that you are attempting to travel. If you try to go 1200 light years, you can really gun the drive, but if you try to go 3,000,000 light years, you have to operate it at a lower level to keep it from burning out.

Although I'm going to go with "the writers screwed up big time."
                      yeah but all im saying is that the asgard hyperdrives on our ships dont go all that fast compared to what they could be doing with a good power source.

and that comparison dosent really work because the goaulds hyperdrives are strictly intersteller not intergalactic like the asgard gave the deadalus. i mean it would have taken the aurora 3 months to get from where it was to atlantis but it only took the deadalus like hours or minutes.
                      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

intergalactic means that you can travel to the next galaxy in a considerable amount of time. which mostly means under a year.

ALL hyperdrives are intergalactic in the sense that you can travel to annother galaxy. but intergalactic actually refers to the speed.

a deadalus hyperdrive is sickly fast. it can go 4x faster. which isnt that much actually. a goauld hyperdrive can go 8000x faster or so, aurora hyperdrives can go MUCH faster. the deadalus is quite high up the ladder.

Comment

yeah but all im saying is that the asgard hyperdrives on our ships dont go all that fast compared to what they could be doing with a good power source.
                          True, but you have to remember that the power source that got the Daedalus up to full speed (the ZPM) has a virtually unlimited power output.

Comment

intergalactic means that you can travel to the next galaxy in a considerable amount of time. which mostly means under a year.

ALL hyperdrives are intergalactic in the sense that you can travel to annother galaxy. but intergalactic actually refers to the speed.

a deadalus hyperdrive is sickly fast. it can go 4x faster. which isnt that much actually. a goauld hyperdrive can go 8000x faster or so, aurora hyperdrives can go MUCH faster. the deadalus is quite high up the ladder.
                            Tie up a ZPM and/or a coupel of NIGs to the engien and it will be on top of the lader for ever
                            sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Why does everyone seem to insist the hyperdrive is powered externally? I've always thought that it served as a powersource as well as a propulsion method.
                              How the ZPM enhances it: I've always thought that the hyperdrive generated a "plasma" that was used in whatever form. This plasma isn't the ionized gas type, but more of a general description based on our un-advanced understanding that has frequency and thus amplitude. The ZPM adds power which increases the energy of the plasma, and thus the speed of the ship.
                              This is what I mean by plasma: http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s3/3...3x22_0533.html
                              That's from the Beliskner's bridge in S3's "Nemesis" I don't know what else to call that glowing column of stuff other than Plasma.
                              Perhaps later I'll post a theory of how I think the hyperdrive works.
                              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Working...
                              X