X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

real ZPM's

The University of Colorado is building ZPM's, or something similar

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/02/jov...-for-zero.html

This stuff is way over my head, but if anyone can make it work it will be amazing.

I tried reading some people's comments on that page and they seem skeptical that it will work, I guess we'll just have to wait and see after it all gets properly tested.

Cheers for posting it RubberJesus.

Comment

It is ZPMs.
      And it's in colorado...
      ...what about SGC...
      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
        The University of Colorado is building ZPM's, or something similar

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/02/jov...-for-zero.html
        Nice find!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

That really is awesome. I hope they can get that to work! Wow it's kind of exciting isn't it?

Edit: After a bit of further reading I am a bit skeptical about some of their ideas as well. But that is what real science is all about. Formulating a hypothesis and testing it, if it doesn't work re-think your hypothesis until you can come up with a solution. Just the fact they are attempting something like this is an exciting first step!
        I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

Based on my knowledge of physics I would say it could work but probably won't. It's not a ZPM though, it's specifically tapping the vacuum energy. Zero point energy is by definition the minimum amount of energy a system can contain, which means it can't be removed. Vacuum energy is different but results from the same physical principles. When people talk about tapping zero point energy, they are technically using a misnomer. I guess a vacuum module (VM) would be a stupid name though. Also it won't be anywhere near as good as a ZPM.

Comment

]DARPA is involve in this perhaps this is the SGC way of disseminating new alien derive technology they receive from our alien buddies and capture/discovered technologies. May be the device is a intermediary step towards the development of a true ZPM after all Carter said they were showing more primitive versions of technology to give roots and foundations of where the more advance stuff comes from and make it look like we doing it all ourselves.

Poor Asgard I wonder if they will get any credit at all.

As DARPA is involve with it even if it does work it is unlikely we will ever hear about it. Same with the Heim's research they are supposedly interested in doing using the Z machine I have not heard whisper about that since it was first suggested.
            Last edited by knowles2; 18 February 2009, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Instead of calling it a ZPE (Zero Point Energy) generator they could call it a QVE generator (Quantum Vacuum Energy), it doesn't have the same ring to it, but I like it.

Comment

I just thought this may be of some interest to people here:

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/...nomic-recovery

Comment

Hope the NSF is reaching deep into their pockets for this one.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X