aurora class power source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aurora class power source?

i couldn't find a thread on this so here it goes!
    right the aurora's don't NEED ZPM's? they just boost the power obviously.
    right so were does its main power come from? we've never seen or heard of other power generation techniques used by the ancients?
    and if its good enough for the aurora class' shields why not put them on atlantis as backups?
    sure the shield wouldn't be as strong as if it was powered by ZPM's but it'd be better then no shield. I think its stupid just making atlantis run off ZPM's.

Originally posted by Dodgified View Post
    i couldn't find a thread on this so here it goes!
    right the aurora's don't NEED ZPM's? they just boost the power obviously.
    Well since each time an Aurora's been boarded by Stargate personnel and no ZPMs have been mentioned it's assumed that it's not the standard for the vessel's power generation.
    right so were does its main power come from? we've never seen or heard of other power generation techniques used by the ancients?
    Well we know that technologies such as the the satellite weapons in the Pegasus galaxy are designed to work on other energy sources than ZPMs, it's possible they use some kind of advanced Fusion generators, maybe Naqueda or a variation of it and possibly some kind of other subspace energy generation that isn't as powerful as a ZPM.
    We know the Ancient communication tech seen in Avalon uses subspace energy to power it so this is a possibility.
    and if its good enough for the aurora class' shields why not put them on atlantis as backups?
    Probably because the Ancients could reproduce ZPMs when they needed them so they didn't feel the need to use a ship's power source to deal with the basic energy requirements of their city ships, I mean why would they just run their computer tech and heating if they could raise they shields to full with 3 ZPMs on a planet's surface? seems unnecessary for the Ancients and for us well if another Aurora is ever found in the Pegasus galaxy in some future Atlantis story it will probably be used for research into those vessels so we can make further improvements to our own tech and a ship like that, with functioning technology would come in handy for certain missions although given Earth's track record with obtaining alien vessels it would probably get destroyed shortly after we got it.
    sure the shield wouldn't be as strong as if it was powered by ZPM's but it'd be better then no shield. I think its stupid just making atlantis run off ZPM's.
    It's just my opinion but I highly doubt an Aurora's power source could raise the shields at all, let alone allow them to sustain much of an attack from the Wraith, even if they only attacked with a couple of ships.
    We have come into contact with a piece of technology that IMO could raise the shields and that was the subspace tap seen in Daedalus Variations (season 5 of SGA), even with a piece of tech like that you may need more than one of those capacitors constantly being filled with power and stored ready for an attack from a race like the Wraith to make sure the shield was strong enough.
    Given that any measure of proper preparation on Earth's part, actually reproducing devices like that would make our heroes too safe I doubt we'll ever see it again on the shows unless some aliens use something like it in SGU.

Oh BTW Dodgified welcome to Gateworld.

Comment

I think that the Auroras power source is very similar to an Ori power source.
      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Chuck Norris is the powersource!
        Originally posted by Craig Charles
        "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

i think its a subspace tap

Comment

Whatever it is its very powerful, a half destroyed Aurora was still able to power life support and hundreds of statis chambers for 10,000 years and then self destruct vaporising 2 Wraith cruisers.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Whatever it is its very powerful
              Chuck Norris
              or alternatively; Magnets.
              Originally posted by Craig Charles
              "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Yes it was, but the lifesuport was't powerd the had to have space suites
                sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
                  Yes it was, but the lifesuport was't powerd the had to have space suites
                  Alright then it still had to power the statis chambers and virtual reality.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgified View Post
                    Well, unless the Aurora is powered by some sort of subspace tap, its reactor has to run off of some sort of fuel. However, even if the fuel was 100% efficient (i.e., could annihilate itself in a manner similar to a matter/antimatter reaction), it would take millions of tons of fuel to match the output of a single ZPM.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

for the VR: It was installed there by the wraith on board and as Rodney said the ship had been woken by atlantis we can conclude the VR has not been there for a long time (still powering the stasis chambers for all that time is i feat)

greetings LAX

Comment

Saying it's stupid for Atlantis to run off ZPMs is like saying it's stupid for a remote to run off batteries. The Ancients could make ZPMs so to them aquiring them wasn't a problem.
                        SIGN THE PETITION: http://www.savesgu.tv/petitions/mult...-sgu-petition/
                        LIKE THE FACEBOOK PAGE: http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU
                        READ THE PLAN: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...aving-Stargate
                        Spread the word! Save the gate!

Comment

Working...
                        X