This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tolkien Elvish Lotr

Is there any online place that I could get a proper translator for one of the dialects of elvish that tolkein has? Maybe the one used for the film? Just thinking of getting a tattoo of like a motto and the writing that I saw in the movie is just awesome.
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Umm, Quenya or Sindarin?

I think Quenya is the one used mostly in the movie. I'm sure I've come across a translator in the past. I'll have a look.

Comment

By the Third Age, Quenya is all but extinct as a language. Sindarin is the language of the Elves in that period.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I haven't been in the LOTR fandom for awhile, but if I remember correctly councilofelrond.com or some variation thereof has a bit on Elvish translation (Sindarin and Quenya). You may also be able to find links on theonering.net.
        *~*

*~*

Spoiler:
        *~*
        sigpic
        *~*
        photo manip by SGKawoosh, based on my crazy dream about the Earth being destroyed and the Asgard, wearing flannel and jeans, saving SG-1. Yah, my dreams are usually that messed up.

Comment

I have thought about getting some Sindarin as a tattoo as well, but I always thought I'd get my children's names and I haven't had any yet. councilofelrond.com has a section for translations, but not the font. I did find a place that explains pronunciations and spelling. I am not an expert so I don't know if they have any mistakes. It is very in depth though so I would think all the info is correct. Here is the link.
          sigpic

Comment

Hmmm. granted, I learned to write elvish in high school, but some of what that site mentions doesn't really add up. I would ask around councilofelrond.com, or look in the appendices to Return of the King.

I, personally, prefer the use of tehtar as vowel sounds instead of the mode of Beleriand, which gives letters for vowels, but it's a matter of personal aesthetic.
            *~*

*~*

Spoiler:
            *~*
            sigpic
            *~*
            photo manip by SGKawoosh, based on my crazy dream about the Earth being destroyed and the Asgard, wearing flannel and jeans, saving SG-1. Yah, my dreams are usually that messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
              Is there any online place that I could get a proper translator for one of the dialects of elvish that tolkein has? Maybe the one used for the film? Just thinking of getting a tattoo of like a motto and the writing that I saw in the movie is just awesome.
              You'll regret it.

Comment

Working...
              X