Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can earth change to accomadate new technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can earth change to accomadate new technology?

eventually, the stargates exsistence is going to have to come out. and when it does the world will no doubt change forever but is it in the way you thought it was going to be? i mena we all think that, provided the public takes it well, new technologies like matter converters and naquada generators and much much more will change life as we know it but have you ever thought about how earth will have to change to even accomadate new technology?

i mean society today is mainly motivated by money, however, the impact of introducing new technologies will dramatically change our main motivation as a society, for example, if the U.S. government built matter converter factories all over the U.S. and they started pumping out all of the essientals for people to survive as well as the luxurys like televisions and computers etc, and all of our power needs are met by naquada generators, and they gave everyone plenty of food and luxury items to live comfortably for free, since it doesnt cost anything to make the items, it would essientally shut down the economy and make money obsolete. we will have to find a new motivation as a sociey.

now im thinking that instead of working for money we would instead work doing something we like that benifits all society, like if you are an engineer you would work for the defence department designing ships to defend earth or if you want to teach, you would teach and in exchange for participating in society productivly, you will be given access to all you need to survive, thanks to the matter converters. we could even give some of the grunt work like mining to some highly advanced, but NOT sentiant, android or some other type of machines.

now if all of the major countries in the world did this, it would move earth towards a new era of prosperity and hopefully peace. now obviously we all cant just get along over night but hopefully eventually we'll all unite and move out into the galaxy as a united earth rather than divided because that would easily lead to a civil war and possibly end the future of the 5th race.

what do you think?
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

I think things would still cost money because you need raw materials to put into the matter converters, people will still need to mine the naquahdah, market the products,run the stores, run the corporations, and design new products, so things would just be really really cheap. I think only our manufacturing industry would get gutted, the stargate and associated technologies would open up far more jobs than they eliminate.

Comment

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
      I think things would still cost money because you need raw materials to put into the matter converters, people will still need to mine the naquahdah, market the products,run the stores, run the corporations, and design new products, so things would just be really really cheap. I think only our manufacturing industry would get gutted, the stargate and associated technologies would open up far more jobs than they eliminate.
      you dont need raw materials to put into the matter converters, all you need is energy and any kind of matter like the air molecules or the dust in the air.

and the way it would work is you would pretty much chose where you want to work and as long as you continue to work and act as a productive member of society you will be given everything you need and want pretty much via matter converters. you wouldnt have to worry about making enough money and you can do whatever job you want. and some jobs, that most people wont want to do can be done by machines.

i mean yes we would still need raw materials to make ships and we could either mine them very easily by simply beaming the ore out of the ground or matter convert them which would work too. however at first we would still need raw materials to get thing rolling but then we'd be self sufficient.
      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

You're forgetting lobbyist, they would make sure that the new technology was viewed as unsafe, dangerous, environmentally unfriendly or any number of show stoppers, which means the technology would get tied up in red tape before it was regulated and sanctioned. Even after it was released, there would be a lot of people who will try and convince the public to hate/fear it and not use it. Mostly life would continue as it is. There's a reason why we still drive cars, use oil, don't use nuclear power, don't have implants, don't go into space and don't use neural input devices, it's called the status quo and it does more than make music.

Also what about the major problem of over-crowding?

Comment

way hey ^^

well for the post saying lobbyists would be against it:

a lobby does not do this, if the technology makes all lobbies (oil and car lobby for example) obsolet (even more if the technology is this ground breaking you can't talk it bad, at least you will look bad if you do - would like to see that, the oil idiots and such reduced to normal people (as everyone would then really be able to have everything, goals of society would change, it would no longer really matter which job you have and such....it would be an UTOPIA - on the other hand, maybe it won't work, as humans don't like utopia much (like said in the matrix-films and i tend to agree sometimes, otherwise we would not let such idiots like politicians decide over us, we would have direct democracy and nothing else (everything else is in my oppinion wrong to have)...but i digress, i'd say it would be cool

greetings LAX
          ps: accomodating to new tech is done constantly by us anyway (robots were once ground-breaking, but we addapted - let's see what the next ground-breaking tech is going to be, shall we?)

Comment

this idea is basically kommunism, which means people is supposed to do their job with no profit. i do believe that someone, somwhere, tried it, and it didn't work out...
            sigpic

Spoiler:
            Originally posted by IMDB
            Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
            Hehe

Comment

look. matter converters are a bad idea. they simply suck up too much energy. instead, its MUCH more benefiting if its a millitary-only technology. also, turning everything to superscifi is a BAD idea.

first off: start with replacing outdated stuff. Inercial dampeners will make cars and planes and such MUCH more fuel efficient. use bio fuels to keep the current economy running. perfect the ITER for cheap, clean fusion power. then, each time you increase earth's tech level over the course of say, 100 years till earth has wider applications of stuff. but not change everything in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                this idea is basically kommunism, which means people is supposed to do their job with no profit. I do believe that someone, somwhere, tried it, and it didn't work out...
                Quoted for truth.

Except it's not basically communism, it is communism. And in a perfect world, it would be perfect. However, capitalism works better because it rewards those who work harder/better. In a communist system people put the minimum effort required and no progress gets made. People who do work hard see others being rewarded the same as they are for less effort, so they have no incentive to continue working hard.

Comment

capitalistic communism would be better.

Comment

eum... since their'e each others counterparts, i can't quite see that working out...
                    sigpic

Spoiler:
                    Originally posted by IMDB
                    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                    Hehe

Comment

a communistic society where everybody gets the basics in return for community work, except that there are bonusses to be earned when working better

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                        this idea is basically kommunism, which means people is supposed to do their job with no profit. i do believe that someone, somwhere, tried it, and it didn't work out...
                        not really. its more like the way the ancients lived. they all got everything they wanted pretty much and embraced their curiosity and became scientists and worked on improving their technology. they didint have to worry about providing their basic needs they did what made them happy.

thats essientally what i want to achieve, i mean the big difference between communism and what im talking about is that communists work extremely hard proboly not doing what they want to and in return barely get that much to survive. with this system we have elliminated the need to work doing something you proboly dont like and in return barely make enough money to live comfortably, with this system you choose what you want to do. there wont be any jobs that suck and nobody wants to do because those can be done by sophisticated machines and computers.

i mean the way i see matter converters is like big buildings where you go in and essientally get whatever you want. you sit down at a computer and select objects that can be matter converted and get whatever you want and all you have to do in exchange is do the job you want to do.

its also very similar to what the asgards were proboly like.
                        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          look. matter converters are a bad idea. they simply suck up too much energy. instead, its MUCH more benefiting if its a millitary-only technology. also, turning everything to superscifi is a BAD idea.

first off: start with replacing outdated stuff. Inercial dampeners will make cars and planes and such MUCH more fuel efficient. use bio fuels to keep the current economy running. perfect the ITER for cheap, clean fusion power. then, each time you increase earth's tech level over the course of say, 100 years till earth has wider applications of stuff. but not change everything in one day.
                          yeah but the asgards were able to provide all of their needs using it and they only used NIGs which we can use to power our cities and the matter converters just like they did.

and why would you still want cars, i mean id much rather have a puddle jumper, although if we mass produce them to replace cars you might want to leave out the drones, because they are a much faster and safer way to travel.

now obviously we wont change over night, it would be a gradual transition.
                          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Not every job is manufacturing, the world will still need lawyers, doctors, scientists, etc. like I said earlier. Things would just be ridiculously cheap, and why use the ITER when we have naquahdah, we could make cars that run forever on a grain of naquadah.

Comment

Why does everyone assume that just because we use other races technology we would exactly emulate their societies and use exact copies of their technologies, why would we fly around in puddle jumpers, use NIG's, and make O'neill class ships when we could make our own versions with the same technologies, the 302's and the 303's are based on goa'uld tech but they aren't anything like pyramid ships or death-gliders, and we allready know we aren't using NIG's in the future, we have mark XII naquadah generators which are powerful enough to run the shields on Atlantis.

what if everyone just copied the Wright Flyer where would we be right now

Comment

Working...
                              X