Vampire Diaries (The CW) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vampire Diaries (The CW) - News/Discussion/Speculation

The CW have teamed up once again with Kevin Williamson for their new horror drama series Vampire Diaries, based on L.J. Smith's quartet of books.

The novels follows Elena Gilbert, a young woman who becomes torn between two vampires, Stefan and Damon, who are fighting for the souls of everyone in her small town in Virginia.

Williamson, who worked with the CW on Dawson's Creek and helmed Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, will executive produce and write the series, alongside Kyle XY's Julie Plec, whose show was recently cancelled.

Three novels were originally published, beginning in 1993, with Smith latter adding a fourth, Dark Reunion which acts as a coda to the trilogy. She has recently announced that she is working on further stories in the universe.

http://www.dwscifi.com/news/3077-vam...come-to-the-cw

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
    The CW have teamed up once again with Kevin Williamson for their new horror drama series Vampire Diaries, based on L.J. Smith's quartet of books.

The novels follows Elena Gilbert, a young woman who becomes torn between two vampires, Stefan and Damon, who are fighting for the souls of everyone in her small town in Virginia.

Williamson, who worked with the CW on Dawson's Creek and helmed Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, will executive produce and write the series, alongside Kyle XY's Julie Plec, whose show was recently cancelled.

Three novels were originally published, beginning in 1993, with Smith latter adding a fourth, Dark Reunion which acts as a coda to the trilogy. She has recently announced that she is working on further stories in the universe.

http://www.dwscifi.com/news/3077-vam...come-to-the-cw
    I think I saw a television show about this long, long time ago.

She was gifted with the ability to slay vampires in her beloved California town. She was torn between two vampires, the classy Angel and the Poetic Spike.

For the life of me though, I can't really recall the name of it...
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

More Vampire TV? More WB aka CW Vampire TV? Must we? Really?
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        More Vampire TV? More WB aka CW Vampire TV? Must we? Really?
        What with the Twilight series starting up with movies, Underworld being out right now...

It's a great time to be a Vampire. Or rather, its a great time for a vampire fad.

Comment

Some recent Vampire TV series:

Blade: The Series (2006), canceled after season 1
          Blood Ties (2007-2008), canceled after season 1
          Moonlight (2007-2008), canceled after season 1

True Blood (2008), renewed after season 1

1/4 of fairly recent shows surviving season 1 tells me that there isn't much appetite for Vampire TV series. Chances are this new series will please genre fans, only for it to be pulled away prematurely, yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
            Some recent Vampire TV series:

Blade: The Series (2006), canceled after season 1
            Blood Ties (2007-2008), canceled after season 1
            Moonlight (2007-2008), canceled after season 1

True Blood (2008), renewed after season 1

1/4 of fairly recent shows surviving season 1 tells me that there isn't much appetite for Vampire TV series. Chances are this new series will please genre fans, only for it to be pulled away prematurely, yet again.
            To be fair, Blade was kind of doomed from the start. And Blood Ties was, correct me if I'm wrong, was on HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
              To be fair, Blade was kind of doomed from the start. And Blood Ties was, correct me if I'm wrong, was on HBO.
              Fair points (for clarification: Blade-Spike, Blood Ties-Lifetime, Moonlight-CBS, True Blood-HBO). The point I was trying to get at is that if fans of the genre can barely support these shows, I really can't see a Vampire series working anywhere on TV at this present moment in time.

Blade and Blood Ties only really needed the core genre fans to be a success, yet they failed. Moonlight is probably a better comparison seeing as it was on a network -- it got the genre audience easily enough, yet failed because the genre elements weren't popular with the typically non-genre audience. True Blood has succeeded because A. it's exceptionally good, and B. it has graphic sex scenes.

Obviously, The CW is trying to hook into interest in Twilight to launch a new Vampire show. The problem is, you can only poach viewers from another franchise if there is strong interest in the underlying concept. With the core genre-audience not seeming so strong, and TV viewers in general having not been receptive in recent history, I fail to see how they're going to pull this off. Of course, it could be outstanding quality TV and the point it mute, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                I think I saw a television show about this long, long time ago.

She was gifted with the ability to slay vampires in her beloved California town. She was torn between two vampires, the classy Angel and the Poetic Spike.

For the life of me though, I can't really recall the name of it...
                To be fair the books came out first. I all ways wondered if Buffy was inspired by this series. I credit it with spawning a life long interest in vampires in me though.
                Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by eviladam View Post
                  To be fair the books came out first. I all ways wondered if Buffy was inspired by this series. I credit it with spawning a life long interest in vampires in me though.
                  Not really, the Buffy movie came out in 1992. Even though it sucked, it was Joss's vision but with all the changes he got frustrated. That's how the tv series came about. It just took 5 years to make it happen.

I love vampires and will give any movie/show a chance. The only one of the new vamp shows I am into is True Blood. Moonlight was way too much a rip off of Angel, but so terrible. I didn't care about the characters at all.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Care View Post
                    Not really, the Buffy movie came out in 1992. Even though it sucked, it was Joss's vision but with all the changes he got frustrated. That's how the tv series came about. It just took 5 years to make it happen.

I love vampires and will give any movie/show a chance. The only one of the new vamp shows I am into is True Blood. Moonlight was way too much a rip off of Angel, but so terrible. I didn't care about the characters at all.
                    All ways reminded me of a really really badlly done rip off of Forever Knight lol. And why the hell did the vampire sleep in a freezer, even though he could go out during the day?
                    Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
                      True Blood has succeeded because A. it's exceptionally good, and B. it has graphic sex scenes.
                      C. HBO = All of the above.
                      HBO hardly ever produces crap. In another thread, I agreed with the point that the major networks will seemingly give almost anything a try but, once ratings aren't spectacular, they'll dump it and try something new for 13 episodes. Cable seems to produce far better original content and keep it on the air longer.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

CW is banking on Twilight fans to watch their show. Though considering it's going to run by the CW I don't have much hope for it! I do watch Smallville (which survived the station change over stuff) but am only interested in Reaper which the CW has frankly treated horribly. I know it's finally coming back sometime in March but if I didn't have internet access I would've thought it was canceled.

I'm sure Vampire 90210 will draw in the giggling teenybopper girls.
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Steven R. McQueen, grandson of the other McQueen, cast in Vampire

Steven R. McQueen—the grandson of Steve McQueen—is set to play Jeremy in Vampire Diaries, a pilot for The CW, Variety reported.

McQueen's credits include Everwood and CSI: Miami. Warner Brothers TV is producing Vampire, along with Alloy Entertainment.

Vampire Diaries is based on books originally published in 1993—well before Stephenie Meyer's Twilight—and revolves around a young woman who's torn between two vampire brothers. The The brothers—one good, one evil—are battling for her soul and the souls of her pals, her family and the small town where they live.

The CW has reunited with Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer writer Kevin Williamson to executive-produce and write. Julie Plec (Kyle XY) is also on board to write and executive-produce.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/steven-...in-vampire.php

Comment

New Casting

Bulgarian-born Canadian Nina Dobrev has landed the lead in the CW's drama pilot "Vampire Diaries."

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/0...g-news_09.html

Comment

Lost's Ian Somerhalder playing bad bloodsucker in Vampire Diaries

Ian Somerhalder, who played Boone on ABC's hit Lost, has joined the cast of The CW's drama pilot Vampire Diaries, Variety reported.

Somerhalder is set to play Damon, a smug vampire who can go from playful to evil in a split second.

Also joining the cast are Zach Roerig (Friday Night Lights), who will play the jock Matt, and Kayla Ewell (Entourage), who will play Matt's sister. Previously announced cast includes Nina Dobrev and Steven R. McQueen.

Vampire Diaries, based on a series of books from Alloy Entertainment, centers on a woman who falls for two vampire brothers, one good and one evil.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/losts-i...halder-pla.php

Comment

Working...
                              X