This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First-Generation Earth Starships

I'm trying to get some ideas in designing some ships for Earth's first steps into space. A lot I've based on the BSG ships, but there is also the NX-class and Prometheus that I can think of.

Can anyone point me in the direction of similar types of ships in other franchises?
    sigpic

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
    I'm trying to get some ideas in designing some ships for Earth's first steps into space. A lot I've based on the BSG ships, but there is also the NX-class and Prometheus that I can think of.

Can anyone point me in the direction of similar types of ships in other franchises?
    Wow guy, you are going in the exact oposite direction of the one you should be.

Hope this helps: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html

Comment

I would look at stuff like 2001: A Space Odyssey for you ideas. I also look up many projects like Project Prometheus. Take a look at the space ship in Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets which had a very near technology space ship. Also various mission to mars films has quite convincing ships to.

Comment

also the ship in "sunshine", "event horizon", "alien" etc
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

Earth's first trip into space? Well you're going to need something with ftl drive, but I would try and base it as much on current tech as possiblle. Actually if you read the Halo prequel Fall of Reach the ships in there are a lot like how I'd imagine earth ships in the future. They have to have spinning sections to provide gravity stuff like that.
          Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

For a first interstellar flight, I doubt ftl would be necessary, even if it's proven to be possible. Some form of the Bussard ramjet with an electrostatic scoop to minimize drag might be a possible answer. Accelerate long enough and it's at least theoretically possible attain speeds of a respectable fraction of the speed of light if you can keep drag low enough. Obviously this won't take relativistic effects into account, so even though it might only take a few decades to get to the nearest stars, centuries would have passed on Earth.
            sigpic

Comment

For interstellar I'd go with an Orion drive, or maybe even the Heim drive (if you want FTL).
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
              X