Atlantis evacuation logic problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis evacuation logic problem

if the ancients were so advanced and had three zpms then why did they not activated their shield and then fly into orbit, activate their hyperdrive and escape to a new planet or even take the whole ship to the milky way? Just for plot reasons?

Originally posted by ima_person View Post
    if the ancients were so advanced and had three zpms then why did they not activated their shield and then fly into orbit, activate their hyperdrive and escape to a new planet or even take the whole ship to the milky way? Just for plot reasons?
    Well, I was always thinking that there were a lot of Hive Ships in orbit when Atlantis was being seiged. So maybe they couldn't get through without straining shields or something. Atlantis could plow right through the hives, but it would really strain the shield.

Comment

Yes,but someone culd have stand beside the ZPM hub and just ceept take out ZPM:s and put in new ones.
      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Spoiler:
        That's what I was wondering. If Rodney could get those complex wormhole drive calculations right the Ancients should have been able to seeing as they were supposed to have advanced brains. Atlantis also got to the Milky Way with 2 ZPMs. We know that the Ancients had at least 3 because 3 were used to power the shields in 'Before I Sleep'.
        sigpic

Comment

For the same reasons as discussed in the threads where this has been discussed to death already.
          Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

You can always make up a tech reason.

For instance, I always thought that, perhaps the Wraith fleet over the planet managed to generate a powerful energy field that stopped Hyperdrives from working properly. Atlantis can lift off, but it'll have to plough through the fleet and get away from this energy field before it can escape. Of course, the beauty of this energy field is that the Wraith ships themselves emanate it, so as long as enough hives surround Atlantis, it won't be able to go into hyperspace. Basically, it would be just a matter of time before the shield fails and Atlantis is destroyed.

Oh, and my rationale for not seeing this energy field in the show is that you need a lot of hives in one place to generate it. See, instant plot-hole plugger-upper.

Comment

My thoughts are that the Ancients were out of ZPMs due to the war and had stashed their last few on other worlds in case of their return after the war.

With only 3 ZPMs it would not of been possible to tax the ZPMs by using both the stardrive and the shield, particularly when the shield was under fire from the massive hive fleet in orbit.

Look at Enemy at the Gate, Atlantis ran out of power quickly in that battle after only a lift off, hyperspace travel to Earth and taxing of the power supplies by repeated hits on the shield. Yes I know the hive in Enemy at the Gate was super powered but still, there were many hives in orbit over Lantea and I believe the effects would of been comparable.

ZPMs were the Lanteans one major advantage, a large power supply but the war would have drained these supplies and I doubt the Ancients wanted to risk loosing the shield in space and the city for that matter.
              I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

Originally posted by WraithHumor View Post
                My thoughts are that the Ancients were out of ZPMs due to the war and had stashed their last few on other worlds in case of their return after the war.
                They just didn't plan ahead in case they ever needed to take the city elsewhere.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                  They just didn't plan ahead in case they ever needed to take the city elsewhere.
                  They had more important things on their mind like staying alive.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    They had more important things on their mind like staying alive.
                    So considering evacuating to another galaxy with the city wasn't part of planning to stay alive?

I just find this wormhole drive ridiculous. It's too much of a plot device for the Atlantis expedition saving Earth because it was the last SGA episode.
                    sigpic

Comment

They accepted their overconfidence of them underestimating the enemy and thought their ancestors could win with their help over time then risk it all in one jump.

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                        So considering evacuating to another galaxy with the city wasn't part of planning to stay alive?

I just find this wormhole drive ridiculous. It's too much of a plot device for the Atlantis expedition saving Earth because it was the last SGA episode.
                        I'll admit it was a plot device but it made sense that it was something they would be working on but never put into service.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          I'll admit it was a plot device but it made sense that it was something they would be working on but never put into service.
                          There's nothing wrong with the idea of the wormhole drive, the only reason people are complaining about it is because they did not see it in use and activate. That is the only mistake they made, showing it would of pushed all these problems aside.
                          I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the idea of the wormhole drive, the only reason people are complaining about it is because they did not see it in use and activate. That is the only mistake they made, showing it would of pushed all these problems aside.
                            No, the problem is that it's a complete piece of fanwank technology, invented at the last second and never mentioned before as a means to solve the plot hole of "how does Atlantis get from New Lantea to Earth in time to save the day?" Also, apparently the Ancients couldn't figure out the right calculations to make it work in millions of years... but Radek can in what, five minutes?

Yeah, okaaaaaaaaaay...
                            Last edited by s09119; 07 February 2009, 07:33 PM.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X