Nanite ZedPM Construction and Warpdrive' ness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nanite ZedPM Construction and Warpdrive' ness

I think that the scientists on Earth could build ZedPMs using good old home-grown nanites.

The nanites would construct a ZPM from it's normal materials, i mean it would be pretty easy to tell them to do that, wouldn't it I mean seriously why didn't they think of that before?

Sorry i meant to type in wormhole drive but i keep mixing the two in my mind

Comment

Well first, there is the problem of the pocket universe. We have no idea how the Ancients made those, and without that knowledge, it is effectively impossible to produce our own ZPMs.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
        Well first, there is the problem of the pocket universe. We have no idea how the Ancients made those, and without that knowledge, it is effectively impossible to produce our own ZPMs.
        im pretty sure rodney said it was a self contained pocket of subspace time, not a pocket universe.

and i agree, we can make the outside casing all we want but if we want any power, we need the pocket of subspace time.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Trico703 View Post
          Sorry i meant to type in wormhole drive but i keep mixing the two in my mind
          and i believe they said that the wormhole drive was extremely unstable and very very dangerous and that normaly means its not a very reliable source of propulsion.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
            This is True. sadly, unless Rodney or Zelenka find a detailed description of the process I mean the Ancients documented EVERYTHING else.

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
              and i believe they said that the wormhole drive was extremely unstable and very very dangerous and that normaly means its not a very reliable source of propulsion.
              Yes but they could work on an algorithm for refining the stability and making pretty much like pressing a button and just BOOM!!

Comment

im pretty sure rodney said it was a self contained pocket of subspace time, not a pocket universe.

and i agree, we can make the outside casing all we want but if we want any power, we need the pocket of subspace time.
                Well seeing as hyperdrive operate by creating a portal into "SUBSPACE" allowing them to move faster than the speed of light outside of the normal universe but not in hyperspace so I'm reasonably sure that with all Rodney genious he could make an adaption like to a hyperdrive to make an Earth equivalent tapping into subspace generating this vacuum energy. ZedPMs tap into it for a millisecond or something like popping in and out of subspace

Comment

Aside from ZPMs they could construct starships a lot faster with millions or billions of nanites working together and they could repair the ships with them too if they kept them on board but of course the Tau'ri haven't truly mastered coding for them to stop them from ripping the ships apart and turning against the humans. I know....

Comment

I think that the scientists on Earth could build ZedPMs using good old home-grown nanites.

The nanites would construct a ZPM from it's normal materials, i mean it would be pretty easy to tell them to do that, wouldn't it I mean seriously why didn't they think of that before?
                    There have recently been threads created to discuss ZPM and star ship production that you've mentioned in your last post.

BTW welcome to Gateworld Trico703.
                    If you feel the need to create a new thread it's always worth having a check with the search function or if that fails just check the relevant folders to see if there's another thread that's basically the same as the one you want to create.
                    If you find an older thread, that's not been used for a while you may find the answers you seek there or you could just post in it and new members or old ones that forgot about it or didn't see it in the first place may wanna get into a new discussion which is always fun.

Comment

Yes but they could work on an algorithm for refining the stability and making pretty much like pressing a button and just BOOM!!
                      if the ancients couldnt make wormhole drive easy and safe then theres no way we will be able to do it. i mean they are just so much smarter than even rodeny its not even funny.

Well seeing as hyperdrive operate by creating a portal into "SUBSPACE" allowing them to move faster than the speed of light outside of the normal universe but not in hyperspace so I'm reasonably sure that with all Rodney genious he could make an adaption like to a hyperdrive to make an Earth equivalent tapping into subspace generating this vacuum energy. ZedPMs tap into it for a millisecond or something like popping in and out of subspace

first of all, zpms draw their power from a SELF CONTAINED pocked of subspace time. this means that in order to make one, you would have to encase a pocket of subspace inside a zpm which we have absolutely no idea of how to do this. they dont just draw power continually from subspace.

and as for creating something that taps into subspcae energy, a rodney mckay from an alternate universe made something like that for the alternate reality drive but it proved impossible to control the flow of energy and then it didint provide massive amounts of energy at a steady rate like a zpm and i wouldnt call it a reliable source of power and it wont be without 10 to 20 years of R&D not to mention we dont even have a prototype because this all happened on an alternate deadalus which is gone now.
                      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

That is a good point byt now you've pretty much destroyed my hopes for the fate of Earth after Atlantis

So Thank YOu For That

Comment

Like I think I've previously said in other threads the Subspace Tap could have some easy to make fixes built in to it's initial design, I mean we don't have to try and completely duplicate the one on the alternate reality Daedalus.
                          An Ancient version of the drawing energy from subspace thing is I believe what powers that Ancient communicator thing that got us into the whole mess with the Ori when Daniel and Vala were inhabiting the Human villagers in the Ori home galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what gave the McKay that made the ST in DV the idea in the first place, my point is the communicator seemed to be stable so there's nothing to show energy can't be drawn from subspace in a safe and consistent manner.

If we firstly make the actual device like the ST, add in an off switch which has to be a possibility given that the Ancient communicators were just siting around, not exploding, but with plenty of power for what appeared to be millions of years.
                          If an off switch or plug of some kind (like a shield that's powered off of the subspace energy) can't be made why not just make some compact buffers that can then be used as energy cells for when Earth needs a safe clean source of power, make multiple chambers that can carry loads of those cells instead of having huge buffers, set the ST to draw as much power as you'll need from subspace for ship functions if the device is installed on our ships.
                          Ships could have matter converters on board them so they could just use the energy to make more cells (as masses of excess energy could be converted into any kind of matter as a raw material) then just store those cells that are full in a ship's cargo hold to be dropped off when at Earth or Atlantis in PG, those cells could contain enough energy to supplement the City's ZPM, or some kind of interface could be made so the cells could be used as a sole power source for the city, that may be a bit of a stretch but there's no telling how much energy could contained or drawn by an ST and stored in such a cell if it's made using advanced materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                            Like I think I've previously said in other threads the Subspace Tap could have some easy to make fixes built in to it's initial design, I mean we don't have to try and completely duplicate the one on the alternate reality Daedalus.
                            An Ancient version of the drawing energy from subspace thing is I believe what powers that Ancient communicator thing that got us into the whole mess with the Ori when Daniel and Vala were inhabiting the Human villagers in the Ori home galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what gave the McKay that made the ST in DV the idea in the first place, my point is the communicator seemed to be stable so there's nothing to show energy can't be drawn from subspace in a safe and consistent manner.

If we firstly make the actual device like the ST, add in an off switch which has to be a possibility given that the Ancient communicators were just siting around, not exploding, but with plenty of power for what appeared to be millions of years.
                            If an off switch or plug of some kind (like a shield that's powered off of the subspace energy) can't be made why not just make some compact buffers that can then be used as energy cells for when Earth needs a safe clean source of power, make multiple chambers that can carry loads of those cells instead of having huge buffers, set the ST to draw as much power as you'll need from subspace for ship functions if the device is installed on our ships.
                            Ships could have matter converters on board them so they could just use the energy to make more cells (as masses of excess energy could be converted into any kind of matter as a raw material) then just store those cells that are full in a ship's cargo hold to be dropped off when at Earth or Atlantis in PG, those cells could contain enough energy to supplement the City's ZPM, or some kind of interface could be made so the cells could be used as a sole power source for the city, that may be a bit of a stretch but there's no telling how much energy could contained or drawn by an ST and stored in such a cell if it's made using advanced materials.

or we can just stick with conventional generators which would be a lot more easier and continue to optimize the power output of them so that in 25 years when we do make a new class of ship, we can just use the incredibly powerfull naquada generator that could power ATLATIS'S shields in the alternate timeline from the last man. i mean then we wouldnt have to worry about buffers and taps and changing the batteries for our ships.
                            STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

or we can just stick with conventional generators which would be a lot more easier and continue to optimize the power output of them so that in 25 years when we do make a new class of ship, we can just use the incredibly powerfull naquada generator that could power ATLATIS'S shields in the alternate timeline from the last man. i mean then we wouldnt have to worry about buffers and taps and changing the batteries for our ships.
                              I think both will have their uses, but Naqueda will always have it's limits (even if they're high) and one day the resource will run out.
                              No one knows just how many planets in our galaxy have been mined dry of Naqueda by the Goauld, if Earth doesn't work on some other tech to generate power we could just end up having no Naqueda and besides subspace energy what other sources can provide enough energy to power shields, energy weapons and hyperdrives?
                              Subspace energy could be limitless and as it's a universal energy, no energy in the universe is ever destroyed or created but it's a constant as far as I'm aware (I forget the physics term for it, but I think it's one of the fundamental laws of physics), the tech also has some potentially pretty easy fixes like I've mentioned above.
                              If you use small advanced energy cells that connect to the ST you can just extract them constantly and make new ones, Earth would end up having more free, clean energy than they can ever use without having to worry when they run out of Naqueda in reach of us.

Even if some ships don't have STs on board (perhaps if we have ones that don't leave the Milky Way), but if a Tauri alpha site or whatever has some STs that constantly gather the energy needed, they produce batches of rechargeable energy cells, ships hold more than enough for each of their missions and they just change out the cells when they get depleted, drop them off at the ST sites, pass depleted cells to Human ships when they come into contact with each other and there would be no energy shortage for Tauri vessels.

Naqueda is fine for now, but the more power you try to get from it the quicker it will run out of it, so Earth will need to develop something else and STs just seem like a viable option for me that Humans can make work before a Naqueda shortage comes and I think it will always be able to provide us with the power we need.
                              I know we can travel to other galaxies to mine, Ida could be one, but as the Asgard lived their for what appears to be 100,000 years they may have used Naqueda before NIGs and mined it dry, NIGs could be mass produced with the Asgard knowledge, but STs could provide more power and take up much less space allowing us to make smaller, more powerful ships.

Comment

Working...
                              X