This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galactica's Ron Moore scripting new Thing movie

Universal have given the green light to a reimagining of John Carpenter's interpretation of The Thing.

Scripted by Battlestar Galactica's Ronald D. Moore, the new movie will be set in a Norwegian camp, where a group of scientists discover a shape shifting alien. Carpenter's 1982 movie begins with Norwegians chasing the alien after it has devastated their camp, although it has not been confirmed whether the new film will act as a direct prequel.

Like Carpenter's movie, Moore's script borrows heavily from the original John W. Campbell, Jr. short story "Who Goes There?" as well as Howard Hawks' 1951 movie The Thing from Another World.

No official title has been given to the new Thing, which will be helmed by commercials director Matthijs van Heijningen. Strike Entertainment are producing the movie alongside their new version of Carpenter's They Live.

http://www.dwscifi.com/news/3037-gal...ew-thing-movie

Och... Y'know, I'm really beginning to hate that word "reimagining". There's nothing wrong with the two earlier versions, and right at the bottom of the article I discovered that They Live is getting a remake. Why man, why? It's a classic!

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick reimagining's ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

With Ron Moore behind it, I'll give this movie a shot.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

this has got to be the first ever remake of a remake...!
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
          this has got to be the first ever remake of a remake...!
          I was not be so sure, their been several remakes of remakes or the new world use around Hollywood reimagining, the new being Race to Witch Mountain, been done several times, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz being a other one which has at least two films for it.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            I was not be so sure, their been several remakes of remakes or the new world use around Hollywood reimagining, the new being Race to Witch Mountain, been done several times, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz being a other one which has at least two films for it.
            the witch mountain movies... all different. all considered separate.

and wizard of oz are all adaptations of the original source, not a remake of the movie, there is a difference.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Wow, just big freaking wow. Hollywood has become such a despicable cesspool of UN-orginality that they have simply given up a creative process to remake, redo, and/or re-imagine everything they have done before.

I just watched Carpenter's version not but 2-3 days ago. That had to be one of his best films. And it happens to be one of the best true Science Fiction films ever. Carpenter has a talent in getting a group of actors together and have a scene that is 110% believable, even though the whole subject is ludicrous.

If anyone needs a good example, I highly recommend renting HIS 1980 film "The Fog" and then rent that insult to the senses 2005 remake. That there will be ALL you need to know whether they should be touching this movie.

And does Ron Moore have that big of an ego he thinks he can do better? Really, there is no point to this remake. I do not want to see classic, good movies remade. At the very least re-do movies that were failed ones and improve on that. Or better yet Mr. Moore, why not come up with an original *$@*ing idea instead of re-doing? Sure BSG was a success, but let's face it. The original was such a lame turd of quality anyone, and I mean ANYONE could have improved on that garbage.

Comment

the witch mountain movies... all different. all considered separate.

and wizard of oz are all adaptations of the original source, not a remake of the movie, there is a difference.
                Actually that not how I define remakes, I define remake as the use of the same basic fundamental of a story line involving the same characters in the same situation using the same medium.

Aka Wizard of remake because their already been a film base on it, Witch mountain two kids needs to get to witch mountain to fly home on their space, both kids have powers,which mimics witches powers, have a normal human protecting them and have people chasing them all the way to the ship.

Anything that matches that story is a remake. Yes using my definition most films would be class as remakes.

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
                  Sure BSG was a success, but let's face it. The original was such a lame turd of quality anyone, and I mean ANYONE could have improved on that garbage.
                  Actually BSG wasn't that much of a make-over from Moore and Eick. People like Richard Hatch and Xmen/Superman director Bryan Singer spent a lot of time in the 90s looking at Larson's old series trying to remake a dark, gritter battlestar. Come the terror attacks of 911, hollywood productions stalled and their idea for the show got binned
                  After Singer got the boot the Skiffy channel, Eick, Moore came along like culture vultures picked up the abandoned scripts and abandoned set pieces on the floor of the Universal Set and said Thank you very much! Let's claim all this previous work as our own!
                  Let's just slap a made by David Eick and made by Ron Moore sticker on Singer's work.
                  It might also explain why season BSG got off to such a flying start only to become completely rudderless by season 4

Comment

While nothing will beat the 1982 Thing movie IMO, this film could have some promise.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      While nothing will beat the 1982 Thing movie IMO, this film could have some promise.
                      remaking a great movie means its destined to fry, why not just remake a poor scifi film with good potential instead of re-imagining a great one and screwing it up?

Comment

Originally posted by CaldwellForce View Post
                        remaking a great movie means its destined to fry, why not just remake a poor scifi film with good potential instead of re-imagining a great one and screwing it up?
                        I think this movie could be good if they do consider it a prequel to the 1982 film. Let us see exactly what went on in the Norwegian camp. Have the "dog" escape at the end.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          I think this movie could be good if they do consider it a prequel to the 1982 film. Let us see exactly what went on in the Norwegian camp. Have the "dog" escape at the end.
                          that could work.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

that could work.
                            I really, really hope that is the route they take with this film.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Winstead, Edgerton cast in 'Thing' remake

Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton have been cast in Universal's remake of cult horror classic The Thing, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Matthijs Van Heijningen will direct the movie, which centres on Winstead's Ph.D. candidate as she joins a Norwegian research team in Antarctica and discovers an alien ship in the ice. Edgerton will play a mercenary loosely based on the Kurt Russell character from the 1982 movie.

Ronald D. Moore and Eric Heisserer wrote the script for the remake, taking inspiration from John W. Campbell Jr.'s short story Who Goes There. The most famous filmed version was John Carpenter's '80s horror, itself a remake of Howard Hawks's 1951 The Thing From Another World.

Winstead, who appeared in the Death Proof and Die Hard 4.0, can next be seen opposite Michael Cera in Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...ng-remake.html

Comment

Working...
                              X