Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popstar.com: What Makes a Great Show Go Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popstar.com: What Makes a Great Show Go Bad?

Stargate Atlantis
    Is there a thread for news about the series as a whole? If so, I didn't find it.
    Anyway, not sure if this was posted, if so, let me know, I'll ask for it to be deleted.
    http://news.popstar.com/Article/616

In a completely different genre, another show caught my interest, Stargate: Atlantis. The exceptional acting and chemistry between the core cast, Joe Flanigan, Torri Higginson, David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrell, and Paul McGillion, made this show great.

So what happened to these two great shows? How can something so perfect, so prestine in every detail, suddenly collapse under its own weight, and could it have been prevented? The answer: most assuredly yes, it could have been prevented, if television producers had listened to the feedback of their fans.
    rest at above link.
    sigpic

TPTB are made of fail but this article is made of win.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Comment

"Gilmore Girls, starring Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, and a whole town of enigmatic and quirky characters was by far one of the best shows ever to hit the television scene."

Yes, full of win indeed... seriously though, at least it's consistent in its idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
        TPTB are made of fail but this article is made of win.
        I agree, and by TPTB(W) I mean Mallozzi and that other dude whatever his name is.
        sigpic

Comment

what i like about these producers is that they dont listen to us, we'd make terrible storytellers. however, the mckeller thing couldve been avoided. and that popster.com thing should never ever have any references to stargate, it just makes stargate look bad juxtaposed with Gilmore girl...
          sigpic

Comment

I'm the author of the article some of you are bashing. What is so wrong with writing an article about two of my favorite shows and why *I* personally feel they went from great to bad? You don't have to agree with me, but calling me an idiot or clueless is both disrespectful and very childish.

The two shows I wrote about are two of my favorite shows. Many shows get taken off of the air and I could really care less, but these two shows had a *profound* impact on me. That's why they are my favorites and that's why I choose to write about them.

Drawing comparisons between the two does not give the show a bad name. And the least you could do is show respect to others and express your opinions in a healthy and productive manner. I didn't call anyone an idiot or clueless in my article, and I won't do that to any of you.

I tried to express what I felt was great about the shows and what caused that greatness to fall. Pardon me for having an opinion and expressing in a respectful way.

Comment

Criticism of any news article is purely subjective.
              This article is therefore fair game for discussion,but stick to talking about the article itself,and keep it civil,everyone.

Opinion is not fact.

Thanks !

Bagpuss
              GateWorld Moderator.
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I don't agree with everything in the article, but it had some valid points. And i laughed at the sGU thing mentioned. very funny

Comment

Whoever wrote this article read my mind. Spot on with every comment about SGA and its downfall here. Even picked out the key highlights I always point out as the turning points (how up until Season 3 everything was awesome and then...). Kudos.
                  sigpic

Comment

I totally agree with this article. IMO Atlantis went down hill from season 4 onwards, coinciding with the loss of Carson and Weir. There were some good moments in seasons 4 and 5, but no where near what seasons 1-3 gave us. I still believe season 1 is best of all.

Comment

Originally posted by rswfire View Post
                      I'm the author of the article some of you are bashing. What is so wrong with writing an article about two of my favorite shows and why *I* personally feel they went from great to bad? You don't have to agree with me, but calling me an idiot or clueless is both disrespectful and very childish.

The two shows I wrote about are two of my favorite shows. Many shows get taken off of the air and I could really care less, but these two shows had a *profound* impact on me. That's why they are my favorites and that's why I choose to write about them.

Drawing comparisons between the two does not give the show a bad name. And the least you could do is show respect to others and express your opinions in a healthy and productive manner. I didn't call anyone an idiot or clueless in my article, and I won't do that to any of you.

I tried to express what I felt was great about the shows and what caused that greatness to fall. Pardon me for having an opinion and expressing in a respectful way.
                      My wife says she loves you. She's a big fan of Gilmore Girls. Personally I can't stand it. To each his/her own though. As always.
                      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                        I totally agree with this article. IMO Atlantis went down hill from season 4 onwards, coinciding with the loss of Carson and Weir. There were some good moments in seasons 4 and 5, but no where near what seasons 1-3 gave us. I still believe season 1 is best of all.
                        If downhill means into the valley of the Jolly Green Giant then I agree. Season 4 and 5 were huge, imo.
                        sigpic

Comment

The first and third seasons were my favorites, with a few episodes from the second season. I especially liked "The Siege" and even "Adrift" from the fourth season. It was very suspenseful waiting for that season to start because "First Strike" had a very powerful ending scene - Atlantis, floating through space, in the middle of nowhere. I can still hear the background music from that scene when I think about it.

As far as the fourth season, I really liked "Miller's Crossing" - all of the episodes with McKay's sister were extremely good. And I liked "Travelers" - that was a storyline that had a great deal of potential to it. Things I really disliked, that were introduced in the second season, was the arc with Michael. I just never found that storyline very appealing.

The fourth and fifth seasons may not have lived up to my expectations, but that didn't stop me from watching them, like any loyal fan would. I own all of them either on DVD or through Amazon Unbox. I can't tell you the number of times I've had marathons of the entire series - including SG1, which I never liked until after I was really into SGA.

I don't think my article needs defending and that's not why I signed on. Every one is entitled to their opinions and I respect other people's opinions when they are stated in a respectful manner. The point of my article wasn't that SGA was a complete bomb - it's that it could have been so much better. The tone and chemistry between the first three seasons and the last two are black and white. Like I said in my article (in my opinion), it lost its magic.

Comment

I really enjoyed your article and share the same views regarding Atlantis. I don't really see why people are getting fussy over the fact that you analyzed two different shows in the same article around the same topic.

what Starrtom said ^^

Comment

While I disagree with your article, I personnel think Atlantis season 5 was an improvement on the previous seasons.
                              The one problem I always had with Atlantis was at the beginning their was no where for characters to actually grow and change, like their was in SG1. I think in season 5 they added characters were actually changing to their surroundings.
                              As to article you made it clear that it was an opinionated piece on two of your favourite shows.
                              But it did seem most of your problems was for the lack of weir in the show.

Nice joke about SGU, but given that my 50 year old mum can read text speak I do not really think it was valid joke.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 29 January 2009, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X