weapon ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weapon ideas.

Share some of your ideas for weapons in the stargate universe. they can be handheld, ship based, or anything else.

now that we have Asgard beam weapons, i've thought of a few weapon ideas based off these uber beams.
    Asgard Beam satellite weapons in orbit around earth(similar to the ancient satellites that were near Atlantis's original Pegasus planet), ground based asgard beams(like tollan ion cannons), and finally,my favorite idea, ASGARD BEAM TANKS!!! they should be small enough to fit through gates,with Naquadah armor.
    any thoughts on my weapon ideas?
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

Orbital defense satellites is a must if Earth ever gets serious about protecting itself. I would also arm them with point-defenses, maybe even have dedicated missiles carriers or anti-air platforms.

With the Asgard database and whatnot, it seems sensible to expand on technologies that we already have. When it comes to small arms, using new types of ammunition would be good. Perhaps rounds that are 'plasma-tipped' to provide superior armour penetration, or the infamous potassium-naqadah tipped bullets.
    Another idea idea would be to fit weak inertial dampeners to small arms, allowing more powerful cartridges (eg 7.62mm) to be fired on full-auto with greater accuracy.

Missiles are another obvious thing to improve. Missiles that use phase-shifting technology would be undetectable and uninterceptable (for the most part), and would also probably bypass shields, allowing nuclear warheads to be delivered effectively into the centre of a ship.
    Missiles that have powerful inertial dampeners and plenty of thrust could accelerate extremely quickly and reach relativistic speeds. Great for long-range high-speed delivery of ordnance or simply to deliver lots of kinetic energy to the target.
    Prepare for the future. My SGA fic

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=61886

Comment

Shaped Charge Nukes. Like with Asgard Beams, More concentrated = More impact on shields
      Originally posted by Craig Charles
      "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Ahhh.. such ingnorance.

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
        Shaped Charge Nukes. Like with Asgard Beams, More concentrated = More impact on shields
        Originally posted by Darkside_Six View Post
        Orbital defense satellites is a must if Earth ever gets serious about protecting itself. I would also arm them with point-defenses, maybe even have dedicated missiles carriers or anti-air platforms.
        Satelites are terrible weapons platforms, their minimal propulsion means that the enemy can hit them from beyond their own wepons range (as range in space is defined as the distance at which the enemy's manuvrability is less than your wepon's speed).

With the Asgard database and whatnot, it seems sensible to expand on technologies that we already have. When it comes to small arms, using new types of ammunition would be good. Perhaps rounds that are 'plasma-tipped' to provide superior armour penetration, or the infamous potassium-naqadah tipped bullets.
        Plasma tiped- hw do you supose that even works? The potasium naqudah mix seems to have been retconed by TPTB.

Our best bet is energy weapons, the only thing holdign us back now is making a suficiently compact and cheap power source.

Another idea idea would be to fit weak inertial dampeners to small arms, allowing more powerful cartridges (eg 7.62mm) to be fired on full-auto with greater accuracy.
        You encounter power issues once again. And minituariseng it would be hell considering we actually understand very little about the technology.

[/UOTE]
        Missiles are another obvious thing to improve. Missiles that use phase-shifting technology would be undetectable and uninterceptable (for the most part), and would also probably bypass shields, allowing nuclear warheads to be delivered effectively into the centre of a ship.
        Missiles that have powerful inertial dampeners and plenty of thrust could accelerate extremely quickly and reach relativistic speeds. Great for long-range high-speed delivery of ordnance or simply to deliver lots of kinetic energy to the target. [/QUOTE]

Again, we don't even scratch the surface of understanding how phase shifting works, we may be able to do with some luck and vaorable cinrcumstances, but it's highly unlikely we can reproduce the technology.

Your right on the second through, howeve a missile bus would be more econimicaly viable.

Originally posted by tombombadil View Post
        now that we have Asgard beam weapons, i've thought of a few weapon ideas based off these uber beams.
        Asgard Beam satellite weapons in orbit around earth(similar to the ancient satellites that were near Atlantis's original Pegasus planet), ground based asgard beams(like tollan ion cannons), and finally,my favorite idea, ASGARD BEAM TANKS!!! they should be small enough to fit through gates,with Naquadah armor.
        any thoughts on my weapon ideas?
        I've dealt with the first two points.

First it has to be smal enough to fit through the gate, otherwise why not just use a ship?
        If it isn't that big, why have it stay on the ground, why not equip it with engines that allow it true flight and maneuvrability. Replace that trinium plating with more power capacitors making a stronger shield (weapons yeilds indicate that armor is a dead end here, mostly becuase you need to have orbital superiority to go on the offensive. In fact, unless you want to conquer a world and keep it as your own, then there is no reason not to bomb the enemy army from obit and sustain no casulaties yourself.

Now, if you do want to conquer a world, why no use the ships you have in orbit to ensure orbital superiority as artillery and ground support?

Or if you don't have thaose ships, why not use that tank now turned gunship for the same purpose?

Comment

I've mentioned it in other threads and it's probably been said by people other than myself, what about shielded missiles?
          Make them about the size of regular Drones, build a small but strong shield generator, something like a personal shield, but using Asgard tech and not Ancient (as we may not be able to reverse engineer to that standard) which could withstand a few Hive or more Cruiser blasts, use a miniaturized Asgard propulsion system, a subspace link to the launch center and a small Naqueda power generator (think the thing O'Neill made to dial Ida, which was said in Point Of View to be Asgard tech) which could double up as the explosive.
          Add in some decent sensors and these weapons could be fired from say a 304 or even on Earth to hit a target on the opposite side of a planet.

The weapon could cause localized shield damage like the beam weapons when it's shields impact on the enemy's.

Mass production could be easily achieved using an independent Asgard core, build a template virtually and use Matter Conversion tech to create loads of them to swarm enemy ships and be used as a replacement for Nukes and Rail Guns as the ships could fabricate as many as they need.

Comment

i would like to see some defence satalites identical to the ones daniel made in his dream in the episode" Absolute Power". those were awsome!!!

ideally we should have a network of like 50 AG3 similar satalites that can combine their fire just like they did in the episode.

although, with a satalite network it does bring up the problem of who has control of the satalites. just like in the episode although, destroying moscow wouldnt be that bad of an idea....j/k
            STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
              i would like to see some defence satalites identical to the ones daniel made in his dream in the episode" Absolute Power". those were awsome!!!

ideally we should have a network of like 50 AG3 similar satalites that can combine their fire just like they did in the episode.

although, with a satalite network it does bring up the problem of who has control of the satalites. just like in the episode although, destroying moscow wouldnt be that bad of an idea....j/k
              The AG3s were sweet, but it was a terrible thing that Daniel went all Goauld and took control of the network when he wasn't supposed to be able to.
              I guess a whole bunch of small, shielded defense fighters or ships with the beam weapons or a shrunk down efficient version of the Asgard's Plasma pulse weapons featured on the O'Neill classes would be sweet and Earth could just keep adding to them so that they could be controlled by pilots on shift patterns.
              We could start out with like 24 (4 covering each side of the planet) which could probably be built pretty quickly even using regular means and not using the Matter Converters to fabricate all of the parts, make them in batches of 6 to add to each side of the planet's defense.
              The fighters/ships could be under the control of a new world military.
              If it was commissioned 24 could be ready to add to the rest of the already operational group.

If we were to stick with satellites then they could be built and controlled by a military and engineering group with members from each IOA nation so that no one country is in control of them at any one time.
              Hopefully with Asgard tech nobody would get the power/paranoia bug like Daniel did.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                The AG3s were sweet, but it was a terrible thing that Daniel went all Goauld and took control of the network when he wasn't supposed to be able to.
                I guess a whole bunch of small, shielded defense fighters or ships with the beam weapons or a shrunk down efficient version of the Asgard's Plasma pulse weapons featured on the O'Neill classes would be sweet and Earth could just keep adding to them so that they could be controlled by pilots on shift patterns.
                We could start out with like 24 (4 covering each side of the planet) which could probably be built pretty quickly even using regular means and not using the Matter Converters to fabricate all of the parts, make them in batches of 6 to add to each side of the planet's defense.
                The fighters/ships could be under the control of a new world military.
                If it was commissioned 24 could be ready to add to the rest of the already operational group.

If we were to stick with satellites then they could be built and controlled by a military and engineering group with members from each IOA nation so that no one country is in control of them at any one time.
                Hopefully with Asgard tech nobody would get the power/paranoia bug like Daniel did.

personally i think satalites are the better way to go for defence of earth. this way they will always be up there and we wont have to keep ships in orbit at all times because if some enemy jumps out of hyperspace right into orbit they could do some damage before we scramble our fighters to intercept them. if we had satalites then they could respond immediately.

off course having just satalites could be bad too because if a large fleet of hundreds of small highly manuverable ships attacked, the satalites would have a tough time dealing with them all so then having fighters to deal with them would be good leaving capital ships to the AG3s.

and as for controlling the satalites, i think it would be best to just make them automatic self controlled that lock on and fire on any targaets entering the solar system not broadcasting IFF. also, they should be programmed to only be able to target objects in space and not on the planet. manual control will only be possible if 3 members of the IOA enter their passcodes at the AG3s underground bunker . this would prevent them from being used against targets on the planet and only for defence.
                STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                  personally i think satalites are the better way to go for defence of earth. this way they will always be up there and we wont have to keep ships in orbit at all times because if some enemy jumps out of hyperspace right into orbit they could do some damage before we scramble our fighters to intercept them. if we had satalites then they could respond immediately.

off course having just satalites could be bad too because if a large fleet of hundreds of small highly manuverable ships attacked, the satalites would have a tough time dealing with them all so then having fighters to deal with them would be good leaving capital ships to the AG3s.

and as for controlling the satalites, i think it would be best to just make them automatic self controlled that lock on and fire on any targaets entering the solar system not broadcasting IFF. also, they should be programmed to only be able to target objects in space and not on the planet. manual control will only be possible if 3 members of the IOA enter their passcodes at the AG3s underground bunker . this would prevent them from being used against targets on the planet and only for defence.
                  There would always be defense fighters in orbit, unless the complete fleet stationed in orbit at the time got destroyed which I think given the tech Earth has at their disposal they could build highly maneuverable, powerful, shielded and non hyperdrive capable fighters that could take on most enemies and win without taking many losses.
                  Back ups could also always be placed on stand by in case bigger threats came.

What about a Human made Alkesh equivalent instead of satellites?
                  With better shields than the Goauld's model, weapons like a smaller down graded version of the beams, that would still be affective against shields, Hive/Cruiser armor and they could also use the space that would normally be taken up by hyperdrive engines for better power generation as they wouldn't be used for anything but planetary defense.
                  Basically a small, highly maneuverable gun ship that could fly rings around Wraith and Goauld ships alike.
                  A group of these could be stationed in orbit, with even more back ups ready to be launched with the fighters when they need to take on fleets and the 304s are away.
                  They could have beaming tech to transport crews up, down, so the actual ships would never leave orbit unless they needed some repairs and they could be used for transporting materials all over the planet when they're not fighting.

I think I'd actually steer clear of making a bunch of orbital satellites especially while the Stargate program's not public knowledge.
                  We could make the above gun ship a comparable size, with similar shield strength and building times to the satellites but they'd be maneuverable and capable of making orbit all on their own.
                  If you want a stationery weapons system when the Stargate is known to the world then Area 51 or an IOA created production team could make some powerful ground cannons.

I actually think the only satellites that should be placed in orbit of Earth in the near future would be a network of planet wide shield emitters.
                  I don't know how many would be needed to repel Wraith weapons fire, but Asgard shields work against most Hives, power generation should be within the Tauri's abilities and it would probably be much more efficient than say shielding each individual city, town and village all over the world.
                  Once Earth had a shield you could build a network of weapons satellites outside the field.
                  Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 15 February 2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

well my idea:

take the idea of the "wormhole-drive" and build a small generator which you can use to generate wormwholes through enemy shields (open wormholes to the inside of enemy craft) and then send explosives or drones through)

then for earths protection: have a defense-grid installed (for those that know: Babylon 5 or the episode of sg-1 daniel created the defense-sattelites, you know what i am talking about)

the grid should have sattelites in orbit with 2 beam weapons (for faster firing then with one only), 4 small energy cannons (for point defense and to shoot down fighter craft and other smaller craft), two rocket launchers (for small missiles), 4 nukes (for emergencies only), shields (of course, otherwise they would not be usefull would they?) and an engine (to keep orbit, to be able to adjust position of the beam weapons for targetting and as a last resort: to ram attacking ships while overloading the powergenerator)

for the controll of this system: have to bigger defense stations commissioned (could use them to re-supplie, repair and even build ships, too) that are heavily armed and maybe even place the stargate their, to limit the danger to earth (give the stations hyperdrive in case something happens with the gate again) even more: ship all the technology research out of Area 51 to also limit the danger to civilians and the danger of the technologies being stolen by the trust and others! (could not be 100% that nothing is stolen, but it is better then having the stuff down on earth)

greetings, LAX

Comment

asgard beam pods: asgard beam cannon, powersource, capacitors, computer, sensors, communicator, frame, some CP plating so its not shot down with superease, and an IDC taken right from a Deathglider.

now what is it that i made? earths defence "sattelite". but it can actually move. not too expensive, not too weak. no shields as you noticed, as they would only increase size and cost firespeed. now massproduce these. build 1 a month and you have a viable network in notime. imagine: ha'tak blown away by 1 sat, hive by 3-5. ori ship by a dozen. and we will have dozens. in 1 month we blow up a ha'tak, after 5 we can kill hives, after a year we kill ori cruisaders

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post

Satelites are terrible weapons platforms, their minimal propulsion means that the enemy can hit them from beyond their own wepons range (as range in space is defined as the distance at which the enemy's manuvrability is less than your wepon's speed).
                        This is true, but it depends on how the satellite is armed. If fitted with suitably long-ranged weapons such as the missiles I mentioned and lasers, then the enemy would have to be a very long way away (granted they would have to be very powerful lasers, which brings the power issue up again) If the enemy use SG-type weapons eg. plasma cannons or beams, the ability to hit a target as small as a satellite starts to diminish. Extra range between the enemy and you gives you more flexibility to deploy your proper warships.
                        Of course building complex, shielded satellites that are heavily armed and have big reactors would require lots of resources and cash, something which current Tau'ri status wouldn't be able to pull of quite yet.

Plasma tiped- hw do you supose that even works? The potasium naqudah mix seems to have been retconed by TPTB.
                        Something like sheathing the bullet in plasma before it leaves the barrel, or having a plasma tip that is somehow contained in the bullet until firing, upon which it burns for a second or so allowing it to melt armour and enable the projectile to do maximum damage. Would be more feasible on large cannon rounds I imagine. In a fic of mine plasma that constantly shifts phase is used when dealing with armoured opponents, although it's set a few hundred years from now.

You encounter power issues once again. And minituariseng it would be hell considering we actually understand very little about the technology.
                        Inertial dampeners are in virtually every ship the Tau'ri have encountered and people like McKay do say they have a good 'grasp' of Ancient technology, so it stands to reason that they would know at least the basics of the technology. The Ancient personal shield has such dampeners, which are much more powerful than something that what would be needed say with an assault rifle. But yes, creating a viable model would be hard.

Again, we don't even scratch the surface of understanding how phase shifting works, we may be able to do with some luck and vaorable cinrcumstances, but it's highly unlikely we can reproduce the technology.
                        In Unending Carter successfully re-creates Merlin's phase-shifting gear onboard a 304. With time and research, reproducing this to a limited extent should be possible.

Comment

she never did. i quote. "but first i ran some tests to see if it could work"

Comment

Whoops, my bad. Methinks it's still possible, given more time to study the asgard database and more resources than what are available on a 304.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkside_Six View Post
                              This is true, but it depends on how the satellite is armed. If fitted with suitably long-ranged weapons such as the missiles I mentioned and lasers, then the enemy would have to be a very long way away (granted they would have to be very powerful lasers, which brings the power issue up again) If the enemy use SG-type weapons eg. plasma cannons or beams, the ability to hit a target as small as a satellite starts to diminish. Extra range between the enemy and you gives you more flexibility to deploy your proper warships.
                              Of course building complex, shielded satellites that are heavily armed and have big reactors would require lots of resources and cash, something which current Tau'ri status wouldn't be able to pull of quite yet.
                              With SG weapons, accuracy could be an issue, but that's a minor technical hurdle than they could fix if the need arose. Range in space, as I said is measured not in distance, but in a) the speed of your wepons, in this case we'll asume lightpseed for both, since those are the longest ranged wepons, and b) the meneuvrability of your enemy, beyond certain ranges, light speed lag means the ship can move out of the way before the beam even gets there. Now if the satelite can barely move...

large, shielded satelites are very vulnerable to suicide atacks by tel'taks and other such small craft, which going at their mass speed, contain the kinetic energy equivalent of a few nukes.

Turning that satelite into a ship is simply more efective.

Something like sheathing the bullet in plasma before it leaves the barrel, or having a plasma tip that is somehow contained in the bullet until firing, upon which it burns for a second or so allowing it to melt armour and enable the projectile to do maximum damage. Would be more feasible on large cannon rounds I imagine. In a fic of mine plasma that constantly shifts phase is used when dealing with armoured opponents, although it's set a few hundred years from now.
                              Modern day HEAT missiles and self forging rounds work on the same exact principle, except produced diferently. Phase shifting plasma is a no go for a few hundred million years by SG reconing (given the relatively miniscule technological advanceent of th Ancients).

Comment

Working...
                              X