This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible lawsuit delays Superman's return

A report at Newsarama.com has indicated that the delay in returning Superman to the big screen may be linked to a claim by the estate of co-creator Jerry Siegel that the film deals do not represent fair market value.

The Siegel estate maintains that since DC Comics and Warner Bros. share close corporate ties, the film rights to the character may not be achieving their full potential. If other studios were allowed to bid on the property, DC would earn more for the rights.

Several thousand pages of depositions and corporate documents have been filed, which are linked from Newsarama, including several unproduced Superman scripts from the past 40 years.

The most recent official reason given for the delay is the desire to reposition the character in the movies, possibly following the darker tone of The Dark Knight.

http://www.dwscifi.com/news/3022-pos...erman-s-return

ugh

Comment

what ashamed, to be honest through the last film was terrible, given the calibre of the current crop of the superheroes films, superman just did not cut the mustard.

And why do all these characters seem to be owned by the comics writers family and not the company that was paying the writer.
      I also think the family is being greedy, they surly would make that much more money and also is not working with people that get on well together more important than just money.

Comment

I thought Superman Returns was so horiblle that I'd rather forget IT ever happened lol The only redeeming moment was Luthor getting Superman with the Kryptonite shank. So I hope they delay any more sequels indeffinentlly.
        Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

i actually liked superman returns
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

I hope it never comes back, along with any and all superhero remakes.

Comment

Originally posted by eviladam View Post
              I thought Superman Returns was so horiblle that I'd rather forget IT ever happened lol The only redeeming moment was Luthor getting Superman with the Kryptonite shank. So I hope they delay any more sequels indeffinentlly.
              Agreed! Hollywood needs to take a big long break from all these super heroe movies, they are just getting so generic, boring, and downright worthless (save for the recent Batman reboot). Now to the point I do not bother ever seeing them when they come out, and some I have yet to see.

Comment

i'm hoping that Watchmen will change all that.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  Yeah I liked it too. Sure it was overtly long, very little action involved and Kate Bosworth was poor choice as Lois Lane...Call me shallow, but I thought Brandon Routh did a bang up job as Supes and Clark. I also particularly liked Bryan Singer's style for melodramatics.

If Superman is to return (yet again), I hope Singer will also be at the helm, only that he should make it more fast-paced, and less itsy bitsy-ness, like his previous X-Men films.
                  "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    And why do all these characters seem to be owned by the comics writers family and not the company that was paying the writer.
                    I also think the family is being greedy, they surly would make that much more money and also is not working with people that get on well together more important than just money.
                    Superman is owned by DC. However the families have been trying to get the rights back for years. A few years back they were able to get some form of copyright ownership. It seems the amount of money they isn't enough, no surprise since Superman brings in hundreds of millions of dollars. So it seems they want more.

No surprise though, Superman Returns made 400 million dollars (give or take) worldwide so who knows how well a sequel would do. Considering Marvel want to do crossovers with The Avengers it makes me wonder how long until they do a Batman/Superman move or go nuts and do Justice League. It's a lot of money and I think more people are interested in getting their cut than making something.

On the lawsuit issue, anyone know what ever happened with Superboy's rights? I keep seeing conflicting stuff about the family winning, losing, overtunes and have no clue how that went.

sigpic

Comment

So did I. It was a nice addition to the franchise IMO, and I really want to see a sequel.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

So did I.

I've been waiting for 'Man of Steel' forever... guess I'll have to wait a little longer
                        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          No surprise though, Superman Returns made 400 million dollars (give or take) worldwide so who knows how well a sequel would do. Considering Marvel want to do crossovers with The Avengers it makes me wonder how long until they do a Batman/Superman move or go nuts and do Justice League. It's a lot of money and I think more people are interested in getting their cut than making something.
                          There were plans for a JLA movie but I haven't heard anything about it in about a year
                          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                            So did I.

I've been waiting for 'Man of Steel' forever... guess I'll have to wait a little longer
                            Yeah, that is all any of us can do.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                              There were plans for a JLA movie but I haven't heard anything about it in about a year
                              Last I heard was that the writers had jumped ship before completing a script.

Comment

Working...
                              X