This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Underworld' to become TV series?

Len Wiseman has revealed that he is considering adapting his Underworld film trilogy for the small screen.

Speaking to Bloody Disgusting, the director admitted that he had discussed the possibility of creating a TV spinoff based on the vampire franchise.

"There's a lot of talk about a television series, I'm looking into that," he said. "If I could be very involved and can be a certain way, I'd be very interested in that.

"We had always hoped to do a trilogy. Now that we completed that trilogy it's kind of open, if people can join us and go back in time - and then leap forward, I'd like to go jump all across the time line."

Underworld, its sequel Underworld: Evolution and its prequel Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans centre upon a centuries old feud between werewolves and vampires.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...tv-series.html

Interesting. I have not paid much attention to this franchise, I seen only bit and pieces of both films. Through I personally think unless they introduce a few other creatures their does not seem to be a lot of story their.

Comment

I might actaully watch it if a series is made. I enjoy the movies, except for the third one as I haven't seen it yet...

Comment

I would be interested in a series if it meant more Kate Beckinsale in latex. However, the chances of that are slim to none.

Other than that, it'd have to be something really solid to get my interest. Too many vampire based series have been canceled for me to get my hopes up.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
          Interesting. I have not paid much attention to this franchise, I seen only bit and pieces of both films. Through I personally think unless they introduce a few other creatures their does not seem to be a lot of story their.
          I don't see why not, most shows only have humans in them, I'm not sure how the number of species in it is relevant. And it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            I don't see why not, most shows only have humans in them, I'm not sure how the number of species in it is relevant. And it's there.
            yeah, there's already 4 species plus hybrids... how many more do you want!!
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

One does NOT need a crystal ball to see how this will turn out. It would take a very unique group to pull this off, which we can almost be assured won't be. Instead it will be just like any number of the hundreds of film to TV adaptations that simply wish to just exploit the name over any quality.

Probably wrong here, but as far as I can remember Stargate is the only film to TV series that was ever truly successful (i.e. lasting more than 2 years).

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
                One does NOT need a crystal ball to see how this will turn out. It would take a very unique group to pull this off, which we can almost be assured won't be. Instead it will be just like any number of the hundreds of film to TV adaptations that simply wish to just exploit the name over any quality.

Probably wrong here, but as far as I can remember Stargate is the only film to TV series that was ever truly successful (i.e. lasting more than 2 years).
                Yep, you are. Buffy had 7 seasons and a spin-off after a dreadful film

Comment

Underworld as a TV show? Hmmm, it could go either way. I would definitely give it a shot though, considering I've loved all three films in the franchise.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

An Underworld tv show would be amazing. Quite frankly I felt the movies have been horribly lacking in character development.

Originally posted by SBN View Post

Exploit the name? What are we talking about here the Underworld franchise or Godfather? Anything they do to it has got to be an improvement. As for film to tv adaptations where do you get the fact that this has been attempted hundreds of times? As far as I can tell such adaptations are very rare. Off the top of my head I can only think of the following, Stargate, Blade, Weird Science, Honey I shrunk the Kids, Clueless, Mash and Buffy. Not only were pretty much all of these very successful but some have even eclipsed the popularity of the films they were based off of. I nominate your post for most confused of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                      An Underworld tv show would be amazing. Quite frankly I felt the movies have been horribly lacking in character development.

Exploit the name? What are we talking about here the Underworld franchise or Godfather? Anything they do to it has got to be an improvement. As for film to tv adaptations where do you get the fact that this has been attempted hundreds of times? As far as I can tell such adaptations are very rare. Off the top of my head I can only think of the following, Stargate, Blade, Weird Science, Honey I shrunk the Kids, Clueless, Mash and Buffy. Not only were pretty much all of these very successful but some have even eclipsed the popularity of the films they were based off of. I nominate your post for most confused of the month.
                      For years network TV has tried to capitalize off of the success and popularity of movies that had a good box office. Fact remains that the original BSG aired ONLY because NBC wanted to get in on the Star Wars bandwagon. While those are shows you may have watched and remembered, keep in mind that there have been many that simply sank right from the start. Someone here made a post a few years back, which is really what I have referenced in my mind. They made a list, or had found a list online, of different TV adaptions, spin offs, rip offs, etc.. from the big screen. The vast majority were shows many of us may never have heard of simply because they got canned after the pilot or a few episodes. Maybe that original poster will read this and respond hopefully. What I know from being a viewer for, well some time (no reason to include age ! ) is that over the years I have just seen so many pathetic and useless attempts by networks to simply cash in as opposed to trying something original. The irony is that most true successes tend to be original, where as the clones tend to fall into an abyss.

It also doesn't include just Movies to TV. Remember the Lost genre rip offs Invasion, Threshold, and Surface? Those were all rushed to production and airing by networks hoping to capitalize off of the success of Lost. Not one of those lasted beyond the first season, and 2 did not even make a full season.

p.s So, anyone waiting for the eventual Twilight series or rip off?

Comment

Working...
                      X