earth ship building facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

earth ship building facility

I had a thought about being able to make close to a dozen 304's in less than 2 weeks (relatively speaking).

This probably has been said before but if not then here it is, beam down the Asgard core from the odyssey to the 304 hanger and bring the ZPM from area 51 now that the chair is no more and take it down to the hanger to bolster the core's power. since the core has time dilation technology built in as carter said in unending surround the hanger in a time dilation field with a difference of about 250 to 1, use the matter converter to create food, air, water and building materials for the ships, the entire ship hanger would be like a isolated community for individual years at a time, each time a new ship is made the field is turned off and staff rotations can take place. for a year to pass in the field about 36 hours would pass in real time, that's close to 2 ships every 3 days depending on how you work the temporal compression. it could have bad effects on the people who build the ships even if they only work for single years at a time, keep in mind for there families only like a day would go by but the worker it would be over a year, not to mention they would age alot faster true only a single year probably wouldn't be noticeable but they would have to lie about there age for the rest of there lives.

i think i rambled in this post lol any comments?

Originally posted by boomer150 View Post
    I had a thought about being able to make close to a dozen 304's in less than 2 weeks (relatively speaking).

This probably has been said before but if not then here it is, beam down the Asgard core from the odyssey to the 304 hanger and bring the ZPM from area 51 now that the chair is no more and take it down to the hanger to bolster the core's power. since the core has time dilation technology built in as carter said in unending surround the hanger in a time dilation field with a difference of about 250 to 1, use the matter converter to create food, air, water and building materials for the ships, the entire ship hanger would be like a isolated community for individual years at a time, each time a new ship is made the field is turned off and staff rotations can take place. for a year to pass in the field about 36 hours would pass in real time, that's close to 2 ships every 3 days depending on how you work the temporal compression. it could have bad effects on the people who build the ships even if they only work for single years at a time, keep in mind for there families only like a day would go by but the worker it would be over a year, not to mention they would age alot faster true only a single year probably wouldn't be noticeable but they would have to lie about there age for the rest of there lives.

I think you'd be better off (for the sake of the people doing the work inside the time dilation field) making each component of each vessel using the matter converters, then transporting the components to an automated assembly plant and perhaps then use the time dilation field to speed the assembly process up, with it set on a timer or able to detect once a ship is finished and then deactivate the time dilation device.
    In fact the whole process could be done by machines, using the matter converters to make components, transporters to move things to where they're needed and tractor beam technology to hold things in place and all that could be done by sophisticated Asgard technology inside the time dilation field.
    As far as using the ZPM I don't think it's needed as raw materials can be gathered and refined using transporter tech off world and then transported back through the Stargate or build a few mining/refinery/construction ships, they could make everything but the most sensitive components on board and travel back to Earth to assemble everything and things like the beam weapons, shield emitters and hyperdrive engines on Earth.

Being able to build dozens or even hundreds of ships a year isn't really needed at the moment as it's not like Earth is planning a mass attack on the Wraith, we probably couldn't man that many ships at the moment either.
    A ship yard up graded to make use of the Asgard technologies to speed up the process and maybe make 3 or 4 ships a year is all we need right now and once the Stargate program becomes public knowledge on Earth we can build more ship yards or assembly plants either on Earth or on other planets rich in the raw materials we use as has been discussed in the Should the SGC set up an off-world based shipyard? thread, here's the link:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post9633268

Comment

The answer is to have other nations within the IOA build their own hangers to construct more ships; they could be 304s, 303s or even 305s. The next step would be to create a joint council to assign missions etc.

sigpic

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was stated in either Unending or Ark of Truth, that the Asgard core had been so deeply embedded in to the Odyssey's systems that removing it would be next to impossible.

This is just me remembering off the top of my head so it could be completely false, but I'm certain something to that effect has been said previously.

The only problem with just putting machines in the time dialation is maintenance. Even the best construction machines require some sort of maintenance, so there would have to be some way of dropping the TDF in the case of mechanical breakdown so that humans can go in and fix the fault.
        If you automate the dropping of the TDF, there is always the risk that the mechanism for dropping it will fail. I think you would require at least one human 'caretaker' who can perform simple housekeeping operations and drop the TDF if external help is required.

Comment

it wont work.

1-WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too powerconsuming. just building 20 304 shipyards allows slower but 10000x less powerconsuming building.
          2-way too uber and even unnessecarily uber. a station beaming metal from the core of a planet (credit to Crazy Tom), refining the metal and then using beaming arrays to shape the metal bars into frames and platees and such, while a gate supplies the hardware ( made on earth) and the alien components are made with a matter converter, and using like 6 NIG's and 3 ACC's would do the trick. not only fast and efficient shipbuilding, but you could actually build the ship till its airtight, then release it and let the crew finish the build by installing the remaining components. this allows even sicker build times.

3-psychological effect. imagine being trapped in a TDF for a year. a small living space, just working endlessly on that damned ship. you'd be dead of old age when you should be 40 years old.

4- an automated robotic factory could already speed up building. or just go to the altairans ( the android race) and contract them

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
            The answer is to have other nations within the IOA build their own hangers to construct more ships; they could be 304s, 303s or even 305s. The next step would be to create a joint council to assign missions etc.
            Yeah having a multinational affair is the best thing and gets everyone to work together.
            Every nation could work together on the project, each country submits their best people to work on it and get taught by the US how it all works, or study from duplicates of the Asgard core on the Odyssey or secondaries made for that purpose.

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was stated in either Unending or Ark of Truth, that the Asgard core had been so deeply embedded in to the Odyssey's systems that removing it would be next to impossible.

This is just me remembering off the top of my head so it could be completely false, but I'm certain something to that effect has been said previously.

The only problem with just putting machines in the time dialation is maintenance. Even the best construction machines require some sort of maintenance, so there would have to be some way of dropping the TDF in the case of mechanical breakdown so that humans can go in and fix the fault.
            If you automate the dropping of the TDF, there is always the risk that the mechanism for dropping it will fail. I think you would require at least one human 'caretaker' who can perform simple housekeeping operations and drop the TDF if external help is required.
            Regarding the part of your post in bold, in Unending when the core was installed it was tied into practically every system on the Odyssey, but they had to deactivate it so that the Ori couldn't follow them and physically doing this would take too long and the Ori ships would have caught up with them.
            Carter had to create a program to speed up the process, now as far as I'm aware they wouldn't have to remove the physical computers to say back up the knowledge, they could just use the modified transporters (matter converters) on board the Odyssey to create a copy or two of the main control computer that Carter used to make things while SG1 and co were in the TD field, which given that I think Apollo and the Daedalus have an Asgard computer they should be able to do.
            It shouldn't be that hard to do, just find Asgard computer systems in the Odyssey's core, beam some copies down to Area 51 or whatever it is that has a copy of the knowledge base installed or make a few advanced hard drives with the knowledge inside and connect them to the back up core consoles so that work can be done on Earth.
            If power is an issue make the Asgard's most advanced NIGs or power generators, possibly the power system Thor mentioned was powering the core in Unending to provide power for matter conversion, or an even larger version or multiple copies of that energy device.
            Gather raw materials off world using the 304s, bring them back to Earth refined like thekillman and I have mentioned above, then you could pretty much make whatever materials or components you can think of (within reason of course).

Comment

The other problem with creating a doxen 303's in 2 week would be... Crew levels. You'd be making them faster than you can man them... Unless you want to make use of the Asgard cloning technology in the Asgard core?

BOOM Baby! I'm Back!

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedKirk View Post
                The other problem with creating a doxen 303's in 2 week would be... Crew levels. You'd be making them faster than you can man them... Unless you want to make use of the Asgard cloning technology in the Asgard core?
                Yeah huge numbers aren't really an option, unless we want to make ships ready to replaced lost ones in battle or can do like the Asgard and make it so only a few people are needed to control each ship.
                Given we can make Asgard computer systems, tying them into the whole ship shouldn't be an issue.
                As for cloning I think the Asgard proved that's not always a great idea and it's not like Humans to do a Wraith and have drone personnel to do their bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                  Yeah huge numbers aren't really an option, unless we want to make ships ready to replaced lost ones in battle or can do like the Asgard and make it so only a few people are needed to control each ship.
                  Given we can make Asgard computer systems, tying them into the whole ship shouldn't be an issue.
                  As for cloning I think the Asgard proved that's not always a great idea and it's not like Humans to do a Wraith and have drone personnel to do their bidding.
                  Yeah, very true. More automation is probably they way to go, although i think we already said in another thread that we would still want a fairly hefty crew, as we are still learning the Tech and can not forsee everything. Plus we need decent numbers should we ever have a fire fight on board or need to board an enemy ship or render aid etc...

BOOM Baby! I'm Back!

Comment

Shipyards in the world often take years to finish Navy destroyers. Yet, in Stargate, we're expected to believe that great Daedalus-class battle cruisers are built in around two-four years on average (I'm looking at the difference between the Odyssey and the Apollo here).

My guess is that they're already USING time dilation technology, because I really don't understand how all that is achieved in such a short time, in secret, with 90% of the material that makes up the hull of the ship coming from off-world.

Comment

Yeah, very true. More automation is probably they way to go, although i think we already said in another thread that we would still want a fairly hefty crew, as we are still learning the Tech and can not forsee everything. Plus we need decent numbers should we ever have a fire fight on board or need to board an enemy ship or render aid etc...
                      We may be learning but reducing the crew levels could be done without sacrificing internal defense, you could just have internal defense, like stun weapons that can incapacitate intruders and be controlled from the Bridge by a lighter crew.
                      A 304 could probably be controlled by 5 people at a time, have 3 shift teams, the same for medical personnel and a repair or engineer team and even shrink down the size of vessel as has been mentioned in other threads so they'd have less to cover and remote controllable repair systems, or automated ones could be installed on all of our ships.
                      As far as boarding enemy ships then some vessels could be designed solely for that purpose but house more people for that job and maybe keep some extra security forces for internal ship needs.

Originally posted by Prenim View Post
                      Shipyards in the world often take years to finish Navy destroyers. Yet, in Stargate, we're expected to believe that great Daedalus-class battle cruisers are built in around two-four years on average (I'm looking at the difference between the Odyssey and the Apollo here).

My guess is that they're already USING time dilation technology, because I really don't understand how all that is achieved in such a short time, in secret, with 90% of the material that makes up the hull of the ship coming from off-world.
                      The thing is Prometheus was built way before they had the TD technology as was Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev and I think the Apollo.
                      I'm not even sure that our ships are the size of some of the enormous Navy ships, 304s are anywhere between 200 to 600 kilometers I think, just how big is a navy ship that takes longer than a year or 2 to make?
                      I think the 304s house about 200-250 crew members, but don't many Navy ships have much larger crews than that?

Comment

Originally posted by boomer150 View Post

if it were that simple then why didint the asgards make a fleet of oniells the same way?

there has got to be some sort of problem that makes this idea easier said than done.
                        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                          if it were that simple then why didint the asgards make a fleet of oniells the same way?
                          Perhaps the Asgard did, but the Replicators could have destroyed or assimilated most of the O'Neills they came into contact with.
                          They probably got destroyed seeing that the Asgard didn't seem to have that many ships towards the end and we didn't see any Replicators controlled ones.

there has got to be some sort of problem that makes this idea easier said than done.
                          Well major boredom, eventual death with only making ship parts, assembling ships, eating sleeping and such I'd guess would be considered a good reason not to make people work inside a TD field.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                            We may be learning but reducing the crew levels could be done without sacrificing internal defense, you could just have internal defense, like stun weapons that can incapacitate intruders and be controlled from the Bridge by a lighter crew.
                            A 304 could probably be controlled by 5 people at a time, have 3 shift teams, the same for medical personnel and a repair or engineer team and even shrink down the size of vessel as has been mentioned in other threads so they'd have less to cover and remote controllable repair systems, or automated ones could be installed on all of our ships.
                            As far as boarding enemy ships then some vessels could be designed solely for that purpose but house more people for that job and maybe keep some extra security forces for internal ship needs.
                            Agreed, that would be plausible. Hunh... they should get Gateworld members to act as 'Technical, story, back-story, conceptual' advisors.

BOOM Baby! I'm Back!

Comment

Agreed, that would be plausible. Hunh... they should get Gateworld members to act as 'Technical, story, back-story, conceptual' advisors.
                              Cool, I wouldn't mind the dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X