This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push

New trailer for the feature film is out as well as an exclusive scenes from the film:

Spoiler:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=49953013

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/push/

enjoy.
    Last edited by Artha O'neill; 24 January 2009, 04:27 PM.
    Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Looks alright.
    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I was excited to see Anubis' prototype when I saw the trailer on TV.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen a lot of previews for this movie on TV. It looks pretty decent.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Dakota Fanning and Chris Evans put the human in superhuman in Push

They are among us. Unassuming heroes and vile villains who can do almost anything. Change our minds. Influence our actions. Morph. Predict the future.

A covert government operation is trying to harness their power. The gifted ones want to understand what makes them tick. Some just wish to be left alone, while others want to have some fun with their telekinetic toys.

But there's a shadowy, malevolent figure hot on their heels ...

No, I'm not talking about Heroes. Swap Hayden Panettiere for Dakota Fanning, switch Zachary Quinto out for Djimon Hounsou, and slot Chris Evans in for just about anyone—and you've got big-screen superheroes in an extravaganza of peril called Push.

Although the filmmakers and actors protest too much (or claim outright never to have even seen Heroes), the two everyman sci-fi stories are inevitably comparable. And what's wrong with that? It's a great what-if scenario, and—just like the TV show—we get a virtual VIP pass to Asia. Awesome!

Fanning plays Cassie, a watcher (which is a Claire ... I mean, a clairvoyant). The 13-year-old is doing everything in her power to free her enslaved mother from a sinister collective called the Division. These guys are trying to twist the talents of those bestowed and turn them into weapons to use for their company's own evil ends. Nick (Evans), like Cassie, is a second-generation superhero, his power being that of telekinesis. Fate brings him and the teen together to fight the bad guys, which in turn leads them to Kira (Camilla Belle), Nick's ex. Kira is a "pusher," and that's the most influential type of all: She can change minds. But is she on the level, or is she just using her ability?

As the drama, intricacy, duplicity, adventure and skullduggery play out in sumptuous Hong Kong, our American heroes can barely keep up—and if all goes well, neither will the audience.

As you twist and turn with all the zigs and zags, you (hopefully) won't even notice all the plot holes and leaps in logic until the end credits start to roll. It's a fast, careening and complex ride ... but when it comes to a screeching halt, you might feel as though your theater seat should have been equipped with a belt.

Fun but forgettable, Push is a decent diversion as we await the bigger and better summer sci-fi flicks.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/dakota-...into-shove.php

Comment

Well I am 40 minutes away from getting this on my harddrive. I will report back when I do.

Comment

Ebert's review:

The curious case of the anti-paranormal Hong Kong MacGuffin
              by Roger Ebert
              "Push" has vibrant cinematography and decent acting, but I'm blasted if I know what it's about. Oh, I understand how the characters are paranormals, and how they're living in a present that was changed in the past, among enemies who are trying to change the future. I know they can read minds and use telekinesis to move things. I know they're a later generation of a Nazi experiment gone wrong, and the U.S. Army wants them for super-soldiers.

But that's all simply the usual horsefeathers to set up the situation. What are they doing? The answer to that involves a MacGuffin* that would have Hitchcock harrumphing and telling Alma, "Oh, dear, they really have allowed themselves to get carried away." The MacGuffin is a briefcase. Yes, like in "Pulp Fiction," but this time we know what's in it. It's a drug or serum that kills paranormals. And the Division desperately wants it.

I'm not sure if the Division is part of the Army or against it. I know that the telekinetic Nick (Chris Evans) is hiding from it in Hong Kong, and that the Pusher Cassie (Dakota Fanning) finds him there and brings along the briefcase (I think), and that she's followed there by most of the other characters, including Kira (Camilla Belle) and the Division agent Henry (Djimon Hounsou), who is another Pusher. Pushing involves not drugs but Pushing into other people's minds.

Kira is said to be the only paranormal who ever survived the deadly serum. But why did they want her dead? And who are they? And why is it to urgent to find the briefcase, which contains a syringe filled with the serum? This is an especially perplexing question for me, because when the syringe was being filled to kill Kira, it looked to me like the label on the bottle of medicine clearly said "B-12," an excellent curative for anemia, which none of the characters has a problem with.

Apart from the MacGuffin, the movie is wall to wall with the Talking Killer Syndrome. Never have more people pointed more guns at more heads and said more words without anyone getting shot. Even if they are telekinetic and can point the guns without holding them.

All of these people, and others, speak very earnestly about Pushing, and they plot to outwit and out-think enemy Pushers, and clearly they are in a lot deeper than the audience is ever likely to get. It's like you're listening to shop talk in a shop that doesn't make anything you've ever seen.

Dakota Fanning's Cassie claims at one point that she's "older than 12," but I dunno. Her mother would probably not have allowed her to fly off to Hong Kong alone, wearing a miniskirt and sporting a hairstyle with purple streaks, but her mother has been killed, which is part of her problem. She does get a little drunk, which provides the movie's only laugh. Dakota's real mother probably told her, "Dakota, honey, why don't you take the role, and get to see Hong Kong?" If that's what happened, she has the best reason of anybody for being in this movie.

*What is a MacGuffin? Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macguffin

Comment

Coraline, Push exceed expectations in debut

Coraline and Push both outperformed expectations on the Feb. 6 weekend, while Fanboys failed to impress in limited release, the Hollywood trade papers reported.

<snip>

Young males, meanwhile, fueled the box office for the paranormal action thriller Push, which managed $10.2 million, well above the $6 million-$8 million of most forecasts, to place sixth.

<snip>

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/coralin...s-in-debut.php

Comment

You know what, I really think Febuary is becoming the perfect month to release small to medium budget action/scifi films.
                  Last edited by knowles2; 09 February 2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Overall, I enjoyed this film. I wouldn't buy it, but I don't regret seeing it either.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Paul McGuigan: Push it to the Limit

Paul McGuigan may not possess any superpowers himself. But his ability to create a stunning fantasy thriller on a fraction of the budget of other blockbusters is still a pretty impressive feat. Push sees a group of psychic-powered people (Chris Evans, Dakota Fanning and Camilla Belle) on the run from a sinister government agency in Hong Kong – think Heroes means The Bourne Identity. McGuigan speaks to Bryan Cairns about fish tanks, fights and flying guns.

Your previous movies Lucky Number Slevin and Gangster No. 1 took a fairly realistic approach to fight scenes. Would you say that’s the case with Push too?

Yeah. We do have fight sequences that are a bit out of the ordinary with guns hovering in the air - they can be moved by telekinetic powers. But I did what I normally do, which is surround myself with the best people I possibly can and then take all the credit for it (laughs). I had Nick Powell as the stunt co-ordinator and he did the Bourne movies. He was really into the hand-to-hand combat and I was into making it real. All the film was shot hand-held so we were able to get in there and make something look cool and practical.

We also had Chris Evans, who was really intricate in getting beat up and kicked around. He was great, and it really helps when your lead actor wants to get involved.

In all my movies before, I’ve tried to make it in your face and this is very much the same type. I didn’t want this operatic sense of people flying in the air like ballet dancers; I wanted them to be thrown against walls. We had stuntmen that really get hurt, and not because I wanted them to get hurt, but just because of the type of scenes we were doing. They knew they were safe doing it, but they were getting thrown into walls really fast. There’s not one shot in this film that was sped up so what you see is what we shot. It’s nice to do it through the camera rather than with CGI.

Push is your biggest action movie to date…

Yes – I mean Slevin didn’t have any action in it at all; it just felt like it did. We shot a few guns off but there was nothing choreographed like Push. I’ve never had a fight co-ordinator before, but this was so much fun. Whenever you get to make a movie like this, it’s generally like being a kid. You go to work thinking, “What do I have to do again? Float guns in the air and pretend they are being fired? How fun!”

With that kind of learning curve, was there a sequence that really tested you?

The sequences where they are running and there are fish tanks everywhere. In Hong Kong, if you go into a place and buy fish, they are all alive. The whole market sequence was really hard because when you start blowing things up, you don’t know what is going to happen. And fish tanks are expensive and heavy. We had eight cameras going for this whole fish tank scene and I said to Chris and Dakota, “You know what would be really good? If you guys actually do this stunt yourselves.” And they just went “Okay.” Under my breath, I was like “Really?” They actually did this stunt themselves and ran through the fish market with all these fish tanks exploding!

The idea was they were being chased by these people that emit a high pitch noise and are trying to knock them out. Obviously, that noise blows up the tanks as well. We went to meeting after meeting, storyboarded everything, and shot every angle. When you are doing something like that, anything could happen because you are doing it for real. That’s the first action sequence I’ve ever done in my career. It was amazing! I was like, “Let’s blow something else up!”

Iron Man and The Dark Knight had over $100 million to play with, yet Push was made for a much more modest amount…

We only had about $28 million which is really nothing. Like everything, you have to be inventive. I came from a background of European cinema where you had nothing, so you get creative with very little cash. For me, $28 million was a lot of money! It’s like “Great! We can blow up the Empire State Building now!”

I had a larger sense of how far the money could go. In a way, that allows me to make decisions that normally people would say “we can’t afford this!" But the studio said,"if you can find a way of doing it in the time, then we’ll do whatever you want.” The studio, Summit, was offering me as much as they could. We never thought small but always went big.

http://www.dwscifi.com/interviews/31...t-to-the-limit

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        You know what, I really think Febuary is becoming the perfect month to release small to medium budget action/scifi films.
                        Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        Overall, I enjoyed this film. I wouldn't buy it, but I don't regret seeing it either.
                        I managed to see this last week, and i enjoyed it. was an interesting film IMO. I agree with fifth man, that i wouldnt buy it on original release but i would pick it up when it hits the sale after a few months

Comment

Saw it today. Was alright. Nothing amazing though.
                          Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Working...
                          X