Why do you dislike Kanaan so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you dislike Kanaan so much?

I'm curious to why some posters seem to vehemently hate the character of Kanaan. This is not to say I don't have any issue with the character -- I definately think he should have been integrated better, popped up in the city with Torren and Teyla more often, and more backstory established as he is the husband/partner of a main character. I get where people are getting the 'invisible boyfriend' vibe from, but again ... *eyes tptb* They messed up there. But it's not like there's anything to really hate. We've hardly seen him as himself as he was hybrided in Kindred and S&R, where he had the largest amount of screentime.

But some posters seem to be very hostile toward this character when he barely gets any screentime and only an occaisional reference. Things that are normally reserved for characters that already have a bulk of time (Keller, McKay, etc): "I hope he dies a horrible death in the movie!" "I want him to just get the away!" "Other Athosians can raise him". I know to each their own, but I'm curious to how this attitude developed?

I don't think it's a shipping problem (just me personally), because I strongly and faithfully ship Teyla with someone else but I'm glad that she gets her happy ending though I wish she had more screentime. Though this may be due to the fact that I don't really care for what happens in s4 and s5.

I'm not in love with him but I don't dislike him either. *shrug*

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
    I'm curious to why some posters seem to vehemently hate the character of Kanaan. This is not to say I don't have any issue with the character -- I definately think he should have been integrated better, popped up in the city with Torren and Teyla more often, and more backstory established as he is the husband/partner of a main character. I get where people are getting the 'invisible boyfriend' vibe from, but again ... *eyes tptb* They messed up there. But it's not like there's anything to really hate. We've hardly seen him as himself as he was hybrided in Kindred and S&R, where he had the largest amount of screentime.

But some posters seem to be very hostile toward this character when he barely gets any screentime and only an occaisional reference. Things that are normally reserved for characters that already have a bulk of time (Keller, McKay, etc): "I hope he dies a horrible death in the movie!" "I want him to just get the away!" "Other Athosians can raise him". I know to each their own, but I'm curious to how this attitude developed?

I don't think it's a shipping problem (just me personally), because I strongly and faithfully ship Teyla with someone else but I'm glad that she gets her happy ending though I wish she had more screentime. Though this may be due to the fact that I don't really care for what happens in s4 and s5.

I'm not in love with him but I don't dislike him either. *shrug*
    I don't have an issue with him I quite like the character. I have a theory on why so many don't like him. Look at the posters that say they hate him. Then visit the John/Teyla ship thread, you'll find most of them there. *hides from Linda*
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      I don't have an issue with him I quite like the character. I have a theory on why so many don't like him. Look at the posters that say they hate him. Then visit the John/Teyla ship thread, you'll find most of them there. *hides from Linda*
      But I don't think it's just the John/Teyla shippers. Unless there are closet shippers because there are posters that have stated they don't like him and don't associate with the ship. *shrug*

I'm not really a supporter of pregnant!Teyla in the first place. They should have just given her real loose jacket and hide her behind desks and things. I don't think PTB did a good job with establishing T/K or Kanaan in general. But other than that, there's nothing really as a character to dislike.

Comment

I would say the lack of development. He is unknown until S4 and only appears in BT in S5.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I would say the lack of development. He is unknown until S4 and only appears in BT in S5.
          Well, lack of development is normally blamed on PTB. It doens't usually make one hate hate hate a character ... does it?

Comment

A character yes. The fault is with the wirters but my dislike of my character is partially due to poor characterization
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Who?

No, I think you're confusing the spelling of Kanan, the Tok'Ra who helped heal Jack, and also helped getting him tortured.

I don't know why this thread is in the Atlantis forum. I'll get a mod on it immediately.

Comment

A character yes. The fault is with the wirters but my dislike of my character is partially due to poor characterization
                Ah, okay. See I neither like nor dislike him. He's just there.

I think I only have a certain amount of hate to offer and most of that is reserved for you-know-who.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Who?

No, I think you're confusing the spelling of Kanan, the Tok'Ra who helped heal Jack, and also helped getting him tortured.

I don't know why this thread is in the Atlantis forum. I'll get a mod on it immediately.
                Is this a joke? *confused*

Comment

I definitely don't hate him. Even as a hybrid, he tried to save his woman and child. That's determination and love there, expecially to overcome Michael's mental influence. I think people hate the situation but let that spill over into the character. I understand tptb had to create him to fit Rachel's pregnancy into the show... and so that people wouldn't think Shep was the baby daddy.

I'm more miffed that his relationship with Teyla was never properly fleshed out. Are they married, is it common-law, are they even still sleeping together or is he just the nanny? We got one episode with him taking care of the kid and then... *poof* Gone. He's a convenient way to get rid of the baby when necessary, but there should have been more with him and Teyla.
                  Last edited by nx01a; 22 January 2009, 04:50 PM.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

Is this a joke? *confused*
                    It's my answer.

Comment

It's my answer.
                      You just can't turn the snark off can you?
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I am glad Teyla shipped with Kanaan. He is not bad. Sheppard has to hook up with Weir. So he needs to steal a puddlejumper, grap the frozen goods in space, get Mckay to give her a human flesh and blood body and they can make many babies that have nanites and Sheppard gel hair.
                        sigpic

Comment

You just can't turn the snark off can you?
                          I'm afraid the off knob broke off years ago.

I was thinking of fixing it, then decided to do nothing instead.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                            I definitely don't hate him. Even as a hybrid, he tried to save his woman and child. That's determination and love there, expecially to overcome Michael's mental influence. I think people hate the situation but let that spill over into the character. I understand tptb had to create him to fit Rachel's pregnancy into the show... and so that people wouldn't think Shep was the baby daddy.

I'm more miffed that his relationship with Teyla was never properly fleshed out. Are they married, is it common-law, are they even still sleeping together or is he just the nanny? We got one episode with him taking care of the kid and then... *poof* Gone. He's a convenient way to get rid of the baby when necessary, but there should have been more with him and Teyla.
                            Hmmm. I guess this way summary you just wrote actually suits my feelings towards him more accurately.

The second part of your post, especially. I think other people would have accepted him more if there was an episode that included a plot having to do with Teyla's family life that could answer these questions. I would have easily taken that over episodes like Whispers or Brainstorm.

Though it doesn't surprise me that TPTB would choose to focus on the juvenile romance of McKeller (and to an extent, Ronon/not!Chuck) instead of this. Sure as hell bothers me, though.

Comment

It's my answer.
                              Hee. Okay, you were scraing me there for a second, mostly because I though you would know better.

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              I am glad Teyla shipped with Kanaan. He is not bad. Sheppard has to hook up with Weir. So he needs to steal a puddlejumper, grap the frozen goods in space, get Mckay to give her a human flesh and blood body and they can make many babies that have nanites and Sheppard gel hair.
                              Oh, you're just telling me what I want to hear now, are you? Though yes, I agree. haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X