This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most under-rated SF/Fantasy film

Which, in your humble opinion, is the most under-rated film of the genre?

My vote goes to either Teen Wolf or The Running Man.

NOTE: My shameless admission of being an 80's fan goes on unabated...

Good guy, Bad guy.....
    I'm the one with the gun.

Running Man is good. Teen Wolf I haven't seen.
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Harsh Realm
      The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Equilibrium

Christian Bale, Sean Bean quoting Yeats, Gun Kata, a good 'they didn't did they?!' moment or three and a dang good soundtrack.

Oh and a cute puppy too... What more could you ask for?!

Comment

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.
          Don't let the animation fool ya - kids can watch but they are quite adult - and, yes - same person wrote both.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Man
            Which, in your humble opinion, is the most under-rated film of the genre?

My vote goes to either Teen Wolf or The Running Man.

NOTE: My shameless admission of being an 80's fan goes on unabated...
            "V" and "V: The Final Battle" from the 80s.

Lifeforce from the 80s.

Alien Nation from the 80s.

Comment

There is a movie called "The World, the Flesh and the Devil" which I consider to be sci-fi. I don't know if many people know about it. It stars Harry Belafonte.
              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
              Individuality is freedom lived.
              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Bub-bub
                Equilibrium

Christian Bale, Sean Bean quoting Yeats, Gun Kata, a good 'they didn't did they?!' moment or three and a dang good soundtrack.

Oh and a cute puppy too... What more could you ask for?!
                Yeah! Equilibrium! Woo!

...what? I've seen it!
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I liked Ice Pirates, and Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.
                  If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                    Yeah! Equilibrium! Woo!

...what? I've seen it!
                    Equilibrium rocks!

Most under-rated SF/Fantasy film? Gotta be Mystery Men - I love the whole "Lets take the you know what out of the superhero genre" thing.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Hmm... Mystery Men was pretty cool, I liked it... can't remember quite why, though. As for Equilibrium, I am aware that I need to see that one... hopefully eventually I will...

But my personal pick for most under-rated sci-fi film is Titan A.E. Oh, what a great piece of animated awesomeness that was.
                      Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

Oooh, Outland for sure.

Stars Sean Connery. Not many special effects, but a great movie. He plays the US Marshall newly assigned to an asteroid mining operation in the back of nowhere. Wife takes son back to Earth b/c he always says the next post will be better, and it never is. About this time, he figures out that there's something hinky going on--miners are going insane and committing suicide/murder on a disturbingly regular basis. The company is trying to cover something up, and Connery's only ally is a doc as washed-up and cynical as he is.
                        My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                        -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                        -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                          Gotta be Mystery Men - I love the whole "Lets take the you know what out of the superhero genre" thing.
                          One of the silliest shows I've ever seen but I laughed a lot.

Cypher is my favourite underrated sci-fi flick. A fabulous story, great acting by Jeremy Northam and wonderful production values (considering its budget). Not to mention an unforgettable cameo by our own David Hewlett.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Tammy and the T-rex! The Toxic Avenger! Teenage Catgirls in Heat! Thumb Wars! ALL the classics!
                            [email protected]
                            http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                            One nation under dog
                            There of which I stand alone
                            A face in the crowd
                            Unsung, against the mold
                            Without a doubt
                            Singled out
                            The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                              Oooh, Outland for sure.

Stars Sean Connery. Not many special effects, but a great movie. He plays the US Marshall newly assigned to an asteroid mining operation in the back of nowhere. Wife takes son back to Earth b/c he always says the next post will be better, and it never is. About this time, he figures out that there's something hinky going on--miners are going insane and committing suicide/murder on a disturbingly regular basis. The company is trying to cover something up, and Connery's only ally is a doc as washed-up and cynical as he is.
                              I got a sudden flash of a early Sean Connery movie that I think is not this because it was really bad and he wore a loin cloth or something. All I remember is people were nuts and not wearing much clothing.

Anyway, Highlander! I love Highlander (the first, none of the sequels because they are crap in comparison).

Comment

Working...
                              X