This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

technology question

can anyone tell me what is that device called that creates items?
    for example in that episode Lost City part 2 (probably spoiler warning) when O'Neil was in that Asqard stasis unit and was doing a weapon to defeat replicators and when it was finished Thor used some machine to make the weapon..
    and for another example in Star Trek there is those computers that make any item they request like coffee or tea or something..
    (by the way does it have a different name in Star Trek)
    Before me you are a slug in the sun. You are privy to a great becoming and you recognize nothing. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do only one thing correctly: tremble. Bur fear is not what you owe me.You and the others, YOU OWE ME AWE! - Francis Dolarhyde - Red Dragon

ATTENTION CHINESE / JAPANESE SPEAKERS!
    HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=47319

"A Serpent guard, a Horus guard and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. Serpent guards eyes glow, Horus guards beak glistens, Setesh guards nose.... drips" LOL

They're called replicaters in Star Trek, But not in SG-1 for the obvious reasons.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

oh ok thanks.. what are they called in Stargate?
      Before me you are a slug in the sun. You are privy to a great becoming and you recognize nothing. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do only one thing correctly: tremble. Bur fear is not what you owe me.You and the others, YOU OWE ME AWE! - Francis Dolarhyde - Red Dragon

HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED

"A Serpent guard, a Horus guard and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. Serpent guards eyes glow, Horus guards beak glistens, Setesh guards nose.... drips" LOL

Comment

Fabricators

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
        One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
        One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
        Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
        Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
        Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

thanks.. i appreciate your help..

HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED

Comment

Actually I think Thor said he’ll synthesise the weapon

So a better name would be synthesiser

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
            One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
            One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
            Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
            Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
            Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

we could call them fabrithesisers

Comment

Plot device generators...

Seriously though, Star Trek have given it different names over the years.
                In the 22nd century they are called "protein resquencers" aboard the NX-01 and it looks like they can only make drinks. In the 23rd century they are called "food synthesizer" on James Kirk's Enterprise and they made entire meals based on whatever "meal card" you inserted. In the 24th century they are called "replicators" and we begin to see certain distinctions. Industrial replicators make the big stuff like windows glass, engine parts, sections of hull plates and some even rumor to produce entire shuttle crafts. Then there are the small ones installed in crew quarters that make food, drinks, and clothes. They could make weapons, explosvies and poisons too if the proper safety programs are bypassed or if the proper pattern is input. Since those robobugs in Stargate are already called the Replicators, the Asgard probably called their device a synthesizer.
                Last edited by SP90; 28 November 2004, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I've always been fond of 'fabber'.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

You read this?
                    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/
                    sigpic
                    I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                    'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                    'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMarioMan
                      Yes. Yes I do.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by SP90
                        Plot device generators...

Seriously though, Star Trek have given it different names over the years.
                        In the 22nd century they are called "protein resquencers" aboard the NX-01 and it looks like they can only make drinks. In the 23rd century they are called "food synthesizer" on James Kirk's Enterprise and they made entire meals based on whatever "meal card" you inserted. In the 24th century they are called "replicators" and we begin to see certain distinctions. Industrial replicators make the big stuff like windows glass, engine parts, sections of hull plates and some even rumor to produce entire shuttle crafts. Then there are the small ones installed in crew quarters that make food, drinks, and clothes. They could make weapons, explosvies and poisons too if the proper safety programs are bypassed or if the proper pattern is input. Since those robobugs in Stargate are already called the Replicators, the Asgard probably called their device a synthesizer.

That’s because as the technology improved so did the name of the device. The best example I can think of at the moment which might not be very good is the Americans call hand held wireless phones “Cell phones” and in UK we call them “Mobile phones”
                        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by mammon
                          can anyone tell me what is that device called that creates items?
                          for example in that episode Lost City part 2 (probably spoiler warning) when O'Neil was in that Asqard stasis unit and was doing a weapon to defeat replicators and when it was finished Thor used some machine to make the weapon..
                          and for another example in Star Trek there is those computers that make any item they request like coffee or tea or something..
                          (by the way does it have a different name in Star Trek)
                          I believe you got the name of the episode mixed up it’s called “New Order”.
                          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Working...
                          X