Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsessed Twilight Fans: Why so VIOLENT?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obsessed Twilight Fans: Why so VIOLENT?!

Read some of the posts linked to on this page.

Just freaky. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone getting the crap beat out of them because they weren't a fan of the latest fad. Makes me glad I'm not a high school student - personally, I think Twilight is a steaming pile of mediocrity, not to mention a complete waste of paper and plastic.

What is WRONG with these kids?! Last I checked, breaking someone's arm because they had different tastes than you was NOT acceptable.
    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

I was actually going to start a topic on this, given that I was warned by a friend not to do a presentation on sexism and abuse in the books because there was a high liklihood I would end up being targeted. I've heard of incidents such of these, and those fangirls can certainly be scary. Luckily, I only got by with a few verbal assaults and cussed out by a few 'rabids'.

To get it out of the way, I really hate these books. It's another thing I'm "Anti" in.

But for the most part, most fangirls won't go beyond cussing you out a bit and giving you the cold shoulder. Not that I mind.

Comment

I'm one of those rare people who think the books are okay. Escapism in the form of an overrated pulpy paranormal romance. Mildly entertaining in a weird way, but nothing to write home about.

That being said, the fans scare the bejeezus out of me. (I felt so bad for those poor actors. Seriously.)

Comment

What do you expect, tween girls are insane, and usually have terrible taste.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
          What do you expect, tween girls are insane, and usually have terrible taste.
          True, but I've never known of teenagers to be the crap out of people who didn't like InuYasha or Naruto.

One good explanation I heard is that the reason fangirls are reacting so violently is because they feel like people who dislike the book are attacking their (very unrealistic) sexual fantasies.

Seriously, there needs to be a "talk to your kids about Twilight" campaign. There have already been incidents that could have turned lethal had not someone intervened, and at the rate things are going I worry that it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed. And I worry for the girls who think that Bella and Edward's relationship is realistic, let alone healthy.
          Last edited by Syera; 14 January 2009, 06:14 AM.
          [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Are people making this stuff up? I have heard of kids getting crazy for things before, but this is just insane! I have never heard of anything like this anywhere around here. I actually like Twilight, but I don't care one way or another if somebody doesn't like it. I think my husband and me would have a big problem if that were the case, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

I feel the need to point out that there's a large group of fans that are grown women- some of them married with children- and they have been known to behave just as badly as the teenage girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera View Post
                True, but I've never known of teenagers to be the crap out of people who didn't like InuYasha or Naruto.

One good explanation I heard is that the reason fangirls are reacting so violently is because they feel like people who dislike the book are attacking their (very unrealistic) sexual fantasies.

Seriously, there needs to be a "talk to your kids about Twilight" campaign. There have already been incidents that could have turned lethal had not someone intervened, and at the rate things are going I worry that it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed. And I worry for the girls who think that Bella and Edward's relationship is realistic, let alone healthy.
                The worst part is, so many girls long to have exactly what Bella has; and that relationship is possibly the most unhealthy one I've ever seen. Edward stalks her for months, then tries to kill her, then she falls in love with him, and within a month she asks him to kill her, take her away from everyone who loves here and would be devastated by her disappearance, and make her a vampire.

Just... so wrong.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

What a horrible way to represent a fandom you love. Imagine how ashamed all the rest of you would feel (and everyone who worked on Stargate, too) if I were to go out and cause someone physical harm in the name of my love for Stargate. There is no way that Stephenie Meyer would want fans of her book treating other people that way. That's just horrible.
                  sigpic
                  Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
                  I'm a 60%er!
                  ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

For the record I think that book is so bad I'm using it for toilet paper. Yes I'm serious. Yes it hurts a little.
                    Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      The worst part is, so many girls long to have exactly what Bella has; and that relationship is possibly the most unhealthy one I've ever seen. Edward stalks her for months, then tries to kill her, then she falls in love with him, and within a month she asks him to kill her, take her away from everyone who loves here and would be devastated by her disappearance, and make her a vampire.

Just... so wrong.
                      First, I think you've got it from the wrong end. It's not being "dead" but "eternal", which is the most natural wish of every person since they first understood their mortality. It's like condemning somebody who wishes to go to Heaven.

Second, fan girls can be pretty obsessive, just look at the screaming Beatles fans, Michael Jackson fans, or to find a more recent and also on topic example: Paramore fans.
                      Also they feel they are a big crowd, and have the power of being a big crowd. And as Twilight tends to generate extreme emotions both pro and contra the reactions are bound to be extreme.

So, no, violence will never be acceptable in any debate, and no, ridiculing and belittling anyone, who actually liked the books/movie is almost that wrong.
                      Last edited by pjt; 16 January 2009, 09:40 AM. Reason: Grammar
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Care View Post
                        Are people making this stuff up? I have heard of kids getting crazy for things before, but this is just insane! I have never heard of anything like this anywhere around here. I actually like Twilight, but I don't care one way or another if somebody doesn't like it. I think my husband and me would have a big problem if that were the case, lol.
                        You should never believe anything you read on the internet, unless you can check at least a dozen sources. More so I wouldn't believe something so extreme about twilight fans if the site is called "twilightsucks". Nevertheless it could actually have happened judging by the hysteria.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PuddleJumper42 View Post
                          I'm one of those rare people who think the books are okay. Escapism in the form of an overrated pulpy paranormal romance. Mildly entertaining in a weird way, but nothing to write home about.

That being said, the fans scare the bejeezus out of me. (I felt so bad for those poor actors. Seriously.)
                          I agree with you, PuddleJumper. It took me until the very end of the first book the get sucked in and then the second book just killed any excitement I had about it. And I thought the movie could have been done so much better than it was.
                          sigpic
                          Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
                          I'm a 60%er!
                          ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

oh my god. I don't so much blame the books as I blame the unhealthy hype around it. Hype isn't a bad thing necessarily, but when tweens see Twilight put up on a pedestal in the media, then something bad is bound to happen when their, dare I say it, religion is threatened.

But I was once a tween, and I had this obsession with something called Stargate. Then again, most of the people I met had no idea what it was, so I can't say I was brainwashed into mob mentality. But even at that age I realised there was no point beating people up over a TV show, because that would be insulting the very thing I like!

Comment

These are just anonymous internet postings. As such, they should be about as believable as the hicks out in the boondocks who claim alien abductions. With that said though, I am amazed that their is any following for this story or movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X