In Depth Review of Season 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Depth Review of Season 5

I borrowed this idea from my friend Camy . She started a thread for some in-depth analysis and review of season 4 as a whole, and I thought some really interesting commentary and discussion came out of it. So here's a thread to do the same for Season 5. Break down what worked and what didn't, what you loved and what was a disappointment. Go character by character, episode by episode, talk about the season as a whole, discuss character arcs, story arcs...whatever works for you. I saw several ways of doing it on the other thread and I thought they were all very interesting.

The bottom line is that this is a place for in-depth commentary on the season as a whole.

I'll add my two cents later after I've actually seen the last couple of episodes, but I thought I'd start the thread now.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Season 5 Review

After coming out of what I like to call the best season of SGA which was Season 4 to me, Season 5 did lose a little momentum for myself. I think season 5 was setting up for an epic 6th season. Some new story arcs introduced, new enemies emerged, some story arcs were completed, and friends were lost or found again. I cannot sit on the notion that this was the best season ever, it was not. It was an excellent season, but I felt there were too many stand alone eps that did not keep interest for me.

I think some of the eps were epic and amazing this season, and there were a lot of hits but some misses as well.

I feel Carson Beckett was only utilized to his full potential in 3 out of his 5 eps. He is a fan favorite, and the fan reaction brought him back. They should of not casted him in "Whispers" and put him in a more useful episode.

I also felt this season should of had Weir recurring.

Episode Highlights

Search and Rescue
    Daedalus Variations
    Ghost in the Machine
    The Shrine
    First Contact/The Lost Tribe
    The Prodigal
    Vegas
    Enemy at the gate

Below par eps

Whispers
    Inquisition
    Brainstorm
    Identity

Top 3 Most memorable epic moments of the season

Sheppard fighting with Michael on the balcony of Atlantis, resulting in Teyla coming to the rescue and kicking Michael off the edge.

The enemy from "The Lost Tribe" shows Daniel Jackson their true identity.

Ford Cameo in "Search and Rescue" showing Sheppard's guilt for losing his friends in battle.

I would rate this season a 9/10 or an A. I gave Season 4 an A+ because the story arc was very strong, the character interaction was supberb. Season 5 had these moments with the characters but I felt the main story arc lost a little of it's direction and was trying to form a few new ones this season. Sadly, we did not get a renewal. So maybe in the movies.

Season 5 left off with a few questions, and these could of been potential story arcs...

1.) What will become of the rebel Asgard? Are they enemy, friend, or neither
    2.) Will Todd get back in the ranks and try to do something with Atlantis with the retro-virus

3.) Will the enemies from Daedalus Variations show up in Atlantis' reality.

4.)Have we seen the last of the replicators?
    sigpic

Comment

Well TBH this has been a very disappointing season IMO...I had such high hopes at the beginning of the season especially after watching S&R but it never lived up to it's potential. I would go as far as to say it's the worse season out of the five.I've also been very disappointed with the character interaction this season, they seem to barely spend two minutes with each other these days and when they do they feel like strangers.

Now I love Carson, I really do but i'd question the decision to bring him back. It hasn't quite worked out like I would have liked, something seems to be missing. I have been very disappointed with Teyla's contribution also, the second half of the season it's like she vanished for half of it and when she was there she barely done or said anything with the exception of the ep "The Prodigal". Ronon hasn't fared much better, after the finished with this silly love triangle he didn't have much else to do really.

The thnigs i've liked have been rather sparse, I loved the Teyla/Michael scenes in The Prodigal, especially the balcony scene at the end...Very powerful stuff from them both, loved the Todd/Teyla scenes in The queen..Todd is always awesome I loved the scene in S&R with the dream sequence John had starting with the romantic dinner with Teyla, we got some insight into how he feels, also how it changes and Ford is there, he feels guilt for not being able to save his people and he doesn't want to fail again with Teyla. I adored the scene between Teyla and Rodney when he was delivering her baby, it just goes to prove these two should have had way more scenes together.

Things I didn't like, boy where to begin Ok I didn't like how John went on the rescue mission to save Teyla in his condition, that to me was very reckless on his part and equally as reckless on Keller's part for letting him go, he could have got them all killed. The shrine was another thing that irked me, the way Keller was acting, especially with her patient who was slowly losing his mind, to me it was very unprofessional, also I thought we could have had a Ronon/Rodney scene and a Teyla/Rodney scene, they are after all supposed to be his team mates and friend but you wouldn't think it. TLT was another ep, Teyla being used as a babysitter again then getting forgot about for the rest of the ep. hmmm Brain storm, well the less said about that the better I think, Identity - why we needed the third last ep of the series to be mostly about the guest star who we've never seen beofore is beyond me plus they hit the reset button with Keller I don't know if the writers have heard of continuity..Vegas was just aweful beyond belief, the music was terrible and very irritating, I still don't understand why they couldn't have had Teyla and Ronon in this ep when they had they wraith in it, that didn't make sense to me. EatG was good but Shep going on suicide missions is starting to get rather tiresome now, and since when can Carson fly Atlantis?

Oh and something else that has annoyed me greatly, They've gave us some good John/Teyla moments over the years, even in S4 and they gave us hope in the first ep with S&R with that romatic dinner dream scene but then they practically killed anything to do with John/Teyla, they barely even act like friends any more But they had no problem at all giving us McKeller. I don't know why they couldn't continue developing John/Teyla Another reason why i'm giving up SGA, I don't trust these writers any more...Well except for Alan McCullough, he's a god

Eps I thought were great

Search & Rescue
      Deadalus variations (simply because it was a good ol fashioned team ep)
      The queen
      The prodigal

Very bad eps

Ghost in the machine
      The shrine
      Whispers
      The Lost tribe
      Inquisition
      Brain storm
      Identity
      Vegas

I can't comment on Remnants cause I haven't watched it yet..

So all in all we have had some very good moments this season but overall it's been a very bad season IMO which is why i'm finished with Atlantis after the last ep on the series!
      sigpic

Comment

For the most part, I enjoyed Season 5. I too felt that the Carson Beckett character was under-utilized and should have been given better episodes, especially due to the popularity of the character.

My favs:
        Search and Rescue
        The Shrine
        The Prodigal (Finally, Michael got what was coming)

The Not So Good:
        The Seed
        Whispers
        Enemy at the Gate (If this had been a two parter, it would have been golden)

Comment

Working...
        X