ancient war-ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancient war-ships

something ive been wondering ever sence the "aurora" episode ive been wondering how and where the atlantians/ancients built these massive ships, from the scale i estimate each one is about half the size of a hive ship.

not even counting the massive material needed to make even 1 of them the ancients had probably over a dozen, Atlantis is large in its on rite but its no where big enough to serve as a ship building facility for there war-ships. Its like making a space shuttle in Manhattan, my first thought of a possible ship building facility is the planet from "inferno" any ship building facility must have a shield or the wraith could just blow up there ships while still under construction or repair, and the facility where they found the Orion had a shield.

any thoughts?

i've been wondering why we haven't run across any shipyards yet too... the place in Inferno got destroyed, but there have to be more.
    sigpic

Spoiler:
    Originally posted by IMDB
    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
    Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by boomer150 View Post
      something ive been wondering ever sence the "aurora" episode ive been wondering how and where the atlantians/ancients built these massive ships, from the scale i estimate each one is about half the size of a hive ship.
      I think that you are seriously overestimating the Aurora-type's size. The following image was adapted from the Ship Scaling Sprites page.
      Spoiler:

Originally posted by boomer150 View Post
      not even counting the massive material needed to make even 1 of them the ancients had probably over a dozen, Atlantis is large in its on rite but its no where big enough to serve as a ship building facility for there war-ships. Its like making a space shuttle in Manhattan, my first thought of a possible ship building facility is the planet from "inferno" any ship building facility must have a shield or the wraith could just blow up there ships while still under construction or repair, and the facility where they found the Orion had a shield.
      Well, like you pointed out, there were probably "ports" like the outpost in "Inferno" where the Ancients could build their ships.

To borrow your comparison between Manhattan and Atlantis, these outposts would be more like Baltimore or Cape Canaveral.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
        I think that you are seriously overestimating the Aurora-type's size. The following image was adapted from the Ship Scaling Sprites page.
        Spoiler:

Well, like you pointed out, there were probably "ports" like the outpost in "Inferno" where the Ancients could build their ships.

To borrow your comparison between Manhattan and Atlantis, these outposts would be more like Baltimore or Cape Canaveral.

Im pretty damn sure that hive is way too big, and that aurora may be a little small. You underestimate the size of an aurora, and the ship you showed there is the size of a superhive.
        Just take a look at be all my sins remember'd, the hive is nowhere near that much larger than an aurora, let alone several times the size of atlantis.

Also, in inferno, that was just a hangar, we are not sure if the ship was built there. It is very likely the wraith strategically targeted the lanteans ship building facilities and destroyed them. Most of them are either under rock or obliterated i should think.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Are you sure an Aurara is that large?

Comment

I seem to remember it being a couple times the lengh of a 304 not several KM long?????? Me reckons 1200m as a more sensible estimate for the Aurora Class Warship

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
              Im pretty damn sure that hive is way too big, and that aurora may be a little small. You underestimate the size of an aurora, and the ship you showed there is the size of a superhive.
              Just take a look at be all my sins remember'd, the hive is nowhere near that much larger than an aurora, let alone several times the size of atlantis.

Also, in inferno, that was just a hangar, we are not sure if the ship was built there. It is very likely the wraith strategically targeted the lanteans ship building facilities and destroyed them. Most of them are either under rock or obliterated i should think.
              no id say that hive is about the right size but the aurora is a little to small and a superhive would be 2 to 3 times the size of the hive shown.
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                I seem to remember it being a couple times the lengh of a 304 not several KM long?????? Me reckons 1200m as a more sensible estimate for the Aurora Class Warship
                id have to say longer then that. i reacon an aurora class would be about 1800 to 2000m long.
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

A Deadalus is about 500 metres. The Aurora? I'd give it 3.5-4 km.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    A Deadalus is about 500 metres. The Aurora? I'd give it 3.5-4 km.
                    Actually the Daedalus is 225 metres long(look in Stargate wiki) so therefore the Aurora-class ship is 3,000 meters long(http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Orion).

Spoiler:

Comment

The Daedalus has been scaled to roughly 750m in length by fans numerous times, and that is the length most-often used in discussions here on GateWorld because it's what we see onscreen. An Aurora has been scaled to roughly twice that length, putting it at about 1.5km, perhaps a little more. They are not 4-5km long, and hive ships themselves have been put at 11km.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        The Daedalus has been scaled to roughly 750m in length by fans numerous times, and that is the length most-often used in discussions here on GateWorld because it's what we see onscreen. An Aurora has been scaled to roughly twice that length, putting it at about 1.5km, perhaps a little more. They are not 4-5km long, and hive ships themselves have been put at 11km.
                        Actually, they've been put at roughly two kilometers in the Ship Scaling Sprites if I remember correctly. Slightly under Atlatnis' 3.6km diameter.

And the 11k figure- where did that initialy come from? Since the average horizon for a teracompatible owrld is over four kilometers, we shouldn't have been able to see either end of the Hive ship shown in Rising. And there is no way a few pounds of C4 could blow that big a hole as we seen in the same episode, even with secondary explosions.

Comment

The 11km size must have came from the fact that the Hive was 11 times bigger than the Daedalus-This has been shown by that image of the Pinkish Daedy and the Blue Hive on the control screen featured in one of the episodes.
                          Last edited by jnadreth; 03 January 2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I remember someone saying the 11km figure came from a producers sketch.

Comment

I found 2 very contradictory pages from the same site

I found this on the Stargate Wiki-Its from the MGM tech Journal. This one shows the Aurora way too small????
                              http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Imagetill1229454284.jpg

Here's the Link to the rest-This one shows the 3000-3500m lengh???????

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora-class_battleship

Comment

Working...
                              X