Multiple Stargates (SPOILERS for EatG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Stargates (SPOILERS for EatG)

This is another "Enemy at the Gate" Thread, covering aspects of the leaked episode, so there be major spoilers ahead:

Spoiler:
    Anyway, at one point in the episode, we learn that the Wraith were using a Stargate on the Advanced Hive to keep Earth from dialing out. However, the odd part about this is that the Stargate on the Hive is able to lock out the SGC's Stargate without actually establishing a connection. Indeed, Atlantis is later able to dial in, connecting to the Hiveship but still demonstrating that the Wraith had not dialed out.

McKay makes note that a Pegasus Stargate always takes precedence over a Milky Way Stargate. However, this explains neither how the Wraith would have been aware of such a precedence, nor why the Pegasus Stargate's mere presence was enough to disrupt the function of the Milky Way Stargate.

For those that have seen the episode or who don't mind having the surprise ruined, any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Simple

The wraith weren't aware of a diffirent type of stargate, so they just brought one and got lucky

Even if they knew about it, they didn't know any local addresses to dial. They probaly just took the gate jsut incase

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
      Simple

The wraith weren't aware of a diffirent type of stargate, so they just brought one and got lucky

Even if they knew about it, they didn't know any local addresses to dial. They probaly just took the gate jsut incase
      That still does not explain the whole problem, as it leaves an important question unanswered:
      Spoiler:
      Why does the mere presence of a Pegasus Stargate disrupt the operations of a Milky Way Stargate, but not the other way around?
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
        That still does not explain the whole problem, as it leaves an important question unanswered:
        Spoiler:
        Why does the mere presence of a Pegasus Stargate disrupt the operations of a Milky Way Stargate, but not the other way around?
        Well, doesn't a stargate connect to the gate in it's path, so if the wraith position it, the SGC would connect to the hive, but that doesn't explain much as i am more of an expert on ships that wormles.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Spoiler:

when two gates are in close proximity to each other, ie on or around the same planet, the gate with the DHD takes precedence. in addition to the wraiths' gate being a pegasus gate, they also brought a DHD with them. that made their gate the primary gate for earth at that time. the sgc does not use a DHD, so it became the secondary gate and would not work.

oh yeah now that i think about it, with atlantis back on earth and having a DHD, atlantis's pegasus gate will now be the primary gate for earth
          That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
            Spoiler:

when two gates are in close proximity to each other, ie on or around the same planet, the gate with the DHD takes precedence. in addition to the wraiths' gate being a pegasus gate, they also brought a DHD with them. that made their gate the primary gate for earth at that time. the sgc does not use a DHD, so it became the secondary gate and would not work.

oh yeah now that i think about it, with atlantis back on earth and having a DHD, atlantis's pegasus gate will now be the primary gate for earth
            Spoiler:
            But McKay also said that the Pegasus gate took precedence over the MW Gate on the Midway station and they had to create a work-around to solve the problem. Gates probably have a ranking system something like: MW gate no DHD rank 1, Pegasus Gate no DHD rank 2, MW gate with DHD rank 3, Pegasus gate with DHD rank 4 and the gate with the highest rank takes priority over all the rest. (there also must be something to resolve the issue of 2 or more gates with the same rank). So when 2 gates are in proximity one probably sends a signal to the other informing it of its rank. If its rank is greater than the other gate deactivates (not completely because it would still need to send and receive signals form the high ranking gate to make sure it's still in the same solar system), if not the lower ranked gate sends a signal informing the other gate to shut down.

Comment

Spoiler:

You know what: I think you are right about this.

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post
              Spoiler:
              But McKay also said that the Pegasus gate took precedence over the MW Gate on the Midway station and they had to create a work-around to solve the problem. Gates probably have a ranking system something like: MW gate no DHD rank 1, Pegasus Gate no DHD rank 2, MW gate with DHD rank 3, Pegasus gate with DHD rank 4 and the gate with the highest rank takes priority over all the rest. (there also must be something to resolve the issue of 2 or more gates with the same rank). So when 2 gates are in proximity one probably sends a signal to the other informing it of its rank. If its rank is greater than the other gate deactivates (not completely because it would still need to send and receive signals form the high ranking gate to make sure it's still in the same solar system), if not the lower ranked gate sends a signal informing the other gate to shut down.
              I understand all of this, although your ordering might be wrong, but it still does not explain the main issue:
              Spoiler:
              We have had multiple 'Gates on the planet before, and have never had any indication that 'Gates other than the primary 'Gate were incapable of dialing out. Indeed, we have had a Stargate on a ship in Earth orbit before, in "The Serpent's Lair"; Klorel's ship had a Stargate with a DHD, but the SGC was still able to dial out to send people to the Alpha Site.

Comment

Spoiler:

Atlantis goes back to the PG.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix786 View Post
                  Atlantis goes back to the PG.
                  Spoiler:
                  What ? They never said that in EaTG. How could you know that ?

Comment

Scenario 1: MW gate, no dhd, and a MW gate with DHD
                    * The MW-nodhd can dial out, but it can't receive wormholes
                    *The MW-dhd can dial out, and can receive wormholes

Scenario 2: PG-dhd and MW-dhd
                    *Both can receive connections from like gates. PG gate can contact PG-dhd, but not MW-dhd.
                    *BOTH CAN NOT BE ON AT THE SAME TIME

Scenario 3: MW-dhd PG-nodhd
                    *MW-dhd can dial out, can't receive connections
                    PG-nodhd can't dial out, but it will receive ALL connections

scenario 4: MW-nodhd, PG-nodhd
                    *MW-nodhd can dial out, can't receive connection
                    *PG-nodhd can't dial out, but receivers all connections

Go Green

Comment

Scenario 1: MW gate, no dhd, and a MW gate with DHD
                      * The MW-nodhd can dial out, but it can't receive wormholes
                      *The MW-dhd can dial out, and can receive wormholes

Scenario 2: PG-dhd and MW-dhd
                      *Both can receive connections from like gates. PG gate can contact PG-dhd, but not MW-dhd.
                      *BOTH CAN NOT BE ON AT THE SAME TIME

Scenario 3: MW-dhd PG-nodhd
                      *MW-dhd can dial out, can't receive connections
                      PG-nodhd can't dial out, but it will receive ALL connections

scenario 4: MW-nodhd, PG-nodhd
                      *MW-nodhd can dial out, can't receive connection
                      *PG-nodhd can't dial out, but receivers all connections
                      Okay, but why would it happen that way?

Comment

This is another "Enemy at the Gate" Thread, covering aspects of the leaked episode, so there be major spoilers ahead:

Spoiler:
                        Anyway, at one point in the episode, we learn that the Wraith were using a Stargate on the Advanced Hive to keep Earth from dialing out. However, the odd part about this is that the Stargate on the Hive is able to lock out the SGC's Stargate without actually establishing a connection. Indeed, Atlantis is later able to dial in, connecting to the Hiveship but still demonstrating that the Wraith had not dialed out.

McKay makes note that a Pegasus Stargate always takes precedence over a Milky Way Stargate. However, this explains neither how the Wraith would have been aware of such a precedence, nor why the Pegasus Stargate's mere presence was enough to disrupt the function of the Milky Way Stargate.

For those that have seen the episode or who don't mind having the surprise ruined, any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated.
                        well we know that the stargate with a DHD over rules a gate without, and the message they recieved might have told them that earth didnt have one, or maybe thats usual knowledge for the wraith.? maybe they discovered over thousands of yrs that the gate with the more power (ZPM) would me more... shall we say eager... to recieve an incomming wormhole?

either way, just saying that the more advanced gate would take first place is a given... and they wraith know ours is older... dont ask me to explain but if they cant figgure that out then they are about as smart as G.W. Bush... i digress... but they (the wraith) are not idiots and over the millenia since they ass raped the ancients they would have learnt a few things about they gates... like remote dialing for one...

anyway! back to my bottle of bourbon!

Comment

Okay, but why would it happen that way?
                          Because

*PG gate can only dial with a DHD
                          *MW gate can dial, no matter what
                          *MW-nodhd < MW-dhd < PH-nodhd < PG-dhd is how worlholes connect

Go Green

Comment

You know what: I think you are right about this.

I understand all of this, although your ordering might be wrong, but it still does not explain the main issue:

Spoiler:
                            We have had multiple 'Gates on the planet before, and have never had any indication that 'Gates other than the primary 'Gate were incapable of dialing out. Indeed, we have had a Stargate on a ship in Earth orbit before, in "The Serpent's Lair"; Klorel's ship had a Stargate with a DHD, but the SGC was still able to dial out to send people to the Alpha Site.
                            i think your gotta ignore this as it was what? season 1?? and cannon didnt realy exist then... but its a gd point that atlantis will recieve all earthboud gates now its the one with a dhd!

why the spoilers above havnt copyed i dont care!

Comment

Originally posted by happyclappy View Post
                              well we know that the stargate with a DHD over rules a gate without, and the message they recieved might have told them that earth didnt have one, or maybe thats usual knowledge for the wraith.? maybe they discovered over thousands of yrs that the gate with the more power (ZPM) would me more... shall we say eager... to recieve an incomming wormhole?

either way, just saying that the more advanced gate would take first place is a given... and they wraith know ours is older... dont ask me to explain but if they cant figgure that out then they are about as smart as G.W. Bush... i digress... but they (the wraith) are not idiots and over the millenia since they ass raped the ancients they would have learnt a few things about they gates... like remote dialing for one...
                              This doesn't even address the question of why the mere presence of a Pegasus Stargate would be sufficient to prevent the SGC from dialing out.

Originally posted by happyclappy View Post
                              i think your gotta ignore this as it was what? season 1?? and cannon didnt realy exist then
                              Season 1 is still Stargate.

Because

*PG gate can only dial with a DHD
                              *MW gate can dial, no matter what
                              *MW-nodhd < MW-dhd < PH-nodhd < PG-dhd is how worlholes connect
                              Okay, I phrased my question poorly: I was not contesting your order of primacy, I was asking "Why would the mere presence of a Pegasus Stargate prevent a Milky Way Stargate from dialing out?"

Comment

Working...
                              X