• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The United States of Atlantis"

I just found out about this book: THE UNITED STATES OF ATLANTIS
    by Harry Turtledove
    CLUB REVIEW

The king of alternate history, Harry Turtledove, once again masterfully rewrites history with this thrilling second book in his Atlantis trilogy—a world in which the eastern coast of America, split off from the rest of the continent millions of years ago, has become the site of a familiar, but crucially different, Revolution.

The war between Britain and France has ended with England driving the French from Atlantis, giving King George leave to tighten his control over the colonies. As part of a strategy to bend the colonists to their will, the Redcoats have seized the continent’s eastern coastal towns, depriving the Atlanteans of the markets where they sell their goods. In addition, the Crown has burdened the colonies with a reprehensible tax to defray the cost of the war.

But England’s arrogance has only strengthened the Atlanteans’ resolve to be free. To drum up support for the colonies, rebel leader Victor Radcliff sends emissaries to Terranova and France, determined to make the English pay for every parcel of land they dare occupy. Nothing will stop him from preserving the liberty of his people as a new nation is born—a nation that will change the world.
    http://www.sfbc.com/doc/browse/detai...?id=722442B510

I might give it a read- no spoliers plz
    --
    sigpic

The east coast broke off and went for a swim in the Atlantic? That's a new one....particularly considering there's no fault line anywhere on the east coast....
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      The east coast broke off and went for a swim in the Atlantic? That's a new one....particularly considering there's no fault line anywhere on the east coast....
      perhaps the meteor that caused the gulf of mexico hit slightly further north.... that might have caused te breach.... but what do i know... i'm no geologist
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Wouldn't "alternate history" also cover alternate geological history?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel View Post
          Wouldn't "alternate history" also cover alternate geological history?
          So one would think.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
          X