Stargate Chevrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Chevrons

So after the established 7 Chevrons we were introduced to the 8th Chevron that acts like an area code. But I thought the 9th Chevron should act as a Place in time so that you'd be able to travel through different time periods. I think the Stargate Franchise explanation of the 9th Chevron (To get to the ship Destiny) isn't that plausible. In the first season SG1 was able to gate to a ship with only 7 Chevrons. Additionally if the ship was in another galaxy you'd only need 8.

yea but the ship moves. so, its more like a code than an adress. it instructs the gate to dial a certain gate, not a certain location

Comment

Originally posted by Loki1982 View Post
      So after the established 7 Chevrons we were introduced to the 8th Chevron that acts like an area code. But I thought the 9th Chevron should act as a Place in time so that you'd be able to travel through different time periods.
      Time travel? First of all, there are a finite number of possible nine-chevron addresses, but an infinite number of possible times to which one could travel. Therefore, using any form of Stargate address for time travel is not ergonomically possible.

Second, we already know that that the Stargate is incapable of time travel. If it were capable of time travel, then why would Janus have built the "Time Jumper," when he could have flown the Jumper through a Stargate. Also, the Ancients tried (and failed) to make a time machine based around the Stargate, as seen in "Window of Opportunity."

Anyway, a seven-chevron address takes you to another planet. An eight-chevron address takes you to a planet in another galaxy. How did you add that up and get, "The ninth chevron should be for time travel"?

I think the Stargate Franchise explanation of the 9th Chevron (To get to the ship Destiny) isn't that plausible.
      That remains to be seen, as I explain below.

Additionally if the ship was in another galaxy you'd only need 8.
      By that logic, then they should be able to reach Atlantis using seven chevrons, because it is on another planet. Some galaxies are farther away then others.

I'm fairly certain that both galaxies to which we have traveled using the eighth chevron are in the Local Group (we are explicitly told that Pegasus is in the Local Group, and I am guessing that Ida is closer than Pegasus). Pegasus is 3 million light years away. Unless I miss my guess, the Destiny has left the Local Supercluster and is thus over 150 million light years away, which would be well outside the range of the eighth chevron. Therefore, the ninth chevron is needed as an extra distance boost.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I would have to agree with "thekillman"

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          yea but the ship moves. so, its more like a code than an adress. it instructs the gate to dial a certain gate, not a certain location
          Is there any reason behind this, or are you just going off of instinct?

In any case, this is completely contrary to everything that we have seen about how Stargates operate. First of all, every address type seen so far (all two of the them, so it is limited population size) has operated under the principle that the address represents a location, not a specific Stargate. This is most obvious when considering the issue with the Antarctic versus the Egyptian Stargates: both could be reached using the same 'Gate address. I can think of no reason why the ninth chevron would violate that principle. Perhaps I am wrong, and there is a compelling reason why the ninth chevron would behave differently, but you have failed to demonstrate this.

Originally posted by Gmandex View Post
          I would have to agree with "thekillman"
          Because...why?
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
            Originally Posted by Loki1982
            Additionally if the ship was in another galaxy you'd only need 8.
            By that logic, then they should be able to reach Atlantis using seven chevrons, because it is on another planet. Some galaxies are farther away then others.

I'm fairly certain that both galaxies to which we have traveled using the eighth chevron are in the Local Group (we are explicitly told that Pegasus is in the Local Group, and I am guessing that Ida is closer than Pegasus). Pegasus is 3 million light years away. Unless I miss my guess, the Destiny has left the Local Supercluster and is thus over 150 million light years away, which would be well outside the range of the eighth chevron. Therefore, the ninth chevron is needed as an extra distance boost.
            Actually if say a MW gate were to use the eighth chevron it means that it's dialing another stargate network. A PG gate is different to a MW therefore they are of different networks.

But then you might say what if a MW gate was in another galaxy-you'd only need seven chevrons when dialing with another MW gate.

My theory is that because the gate is so far away, the power needed increases and therefore you will still require a ZPM but there won't be any use of the eighth chevron.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix786 View Post
              Actually if say a MW gate were to use the eighth chevron it means that it's dialing another stargate network. A PG gate is different to a MW therefore they are of different networks.
              However, in "The Fifth Race," the Stargate on Othalla was a Milky Way Stargate, yet they still needed the eighth chevron to reach it.

Also, you have to remember that there are a finite number of seven-chevron, eight-chevron, and nine-chevron addresses, and that the majority of those addresses are likely to be dead addresses without a Stargate.

Originally posted by Phoenix786 View Post
              My theory is that because the gate is so far away, the power needed increases and therefore you will still require a ZPM but there won't be any use of the eighth chevron.
              I can refute this, but I need to use spoilers from "Enemy at the Gate." If you have not seen that episode, then DO NOT read the spoilers below:
              Spoiler:
              Toward the end of "Enemy at the Gate," Sheppard's is on a Hive over Earth. This Hive has a Pegasus 'Gate on it, but is in the Milky Way. McKay says that it will take him five minutes to recalibrate the 'Gate to local coordinates so that they can dial out. However, when told that they have to detonate the nuke that they had snuck on board, McKay revises his estimate to two minutes. He doesn't say, "Screw it, let's 'gate back to Pegasus," even after being told that two minutes is still too long. Power would not have been a problem, as the Hive was powered by a ZPM.

This implies quite strongly that a Pegasus Stargate cannot dial addresses in the Pegasus Galaxy unless that Stargate is actually in the Pegasus Galaxy itself.

Comment

I can refute this, but I need to use spoilers from "Enemy at the Gate." If you have not seen that episode, then DO NOT read the spoilers below:
                Spoiler:
                Toward the end of "Enemy at the Gate," Sheppard's is on a Hive over Earth. This Hive has a Pegasus 'Gate on it, but is in the Milky Way. McKay says that it will take him five minutes to recalibrate the 'Gate to local coordinates so that they can dial out. However, when told that they have to detonate the nuke that they had snuck on board, McKay revises his estimate to two minutes. He doesn't say, "Screw it, let's 'gate back to Pegasus," even after being told that two minutes is still too long. Power would not have been a problem, as the Hive was powered by a ZPM.

This implies quite strongly that a Pegasus Stargate cannot dial addresses in the Pegasus Galaxy unless that Stargate is actually in the Pegasus Galaxy itself.
                Well, ("Enemy at the Gate" Spoilers)

Spoiler:
                Even if they could dial a 8 Chevron Address, how would they get back to Atlantis? It's not exactly in the Pegasus Galaxy anymore, and even if the SGC new where they would going it would take some time, up to three weeks, for a ship to find them.

Comment

However, in "The Fifth Race," the Stargate on Othalla was a Milky Way Stargate, yet they still needed the eighth chevron to reach it.

Also, you have to remember that there are a finite number of seven-chevron, eight-chevron, and nine-chevron addresses, and that the majority of those addresses are likely to be dead addresses without a Stargate.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                  No, it implies that you can't dial addresses in the Milky Way with Pegasus glyphs without recalibrating (McKay said he was going to dial the Alpha Site, not Atlantis).
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Itzan View Post
                    Well, ("Enemy at the Gate" Spoilers)

Spoiler:
                    Even if they could dial a 8 Chevron Address, how would they get back to Atlantis? It's not exactly in the Pegasus Galaxy anymore, and even if the SGC new where they would going it would take some time, up to three weeks, for a ship to find them.
                    Spoiler:
                    Exactly. Not only that but it's highly doubtful they could even dial Pegasus. The gate on the Hive had a DHD so it's more than likely that it wasn't tied to the Hive's powersource.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzan View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      I was debunking Phoenix786's assertion that a Stargate moved to another galaxy would still be able to dial planets in its home galaxy as seven-chevron addresses, if it had sufficient power to establish the wormhole.

Furthermore,
                      Spoiler:
                      Given the situation (get off the Hive or get nuked), I think being stranded somewhere in Pegasus would probably be an acceptable solution.

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      No, it implies that you can't dial addresses in the Milky Way with Pegasus glyphs without recalibrating (McKay said he was going to dial the Alpha Site, not Atlantis).
                      Spoiler:
                      1. Atlantis was already in the Milky Way, so he would not have had to dial Pegasus to reach it.
                      2. Yes, McKay was going to dial the Alpha Site. However, my point was that, given that they were about the nuke the Hive, would not McKay have suggested changing their travel plans to somewhere in Pegasus, if it were possible?

Comment

I was debunking Phoenix786's assertion that a Stargate moved to another galaxy would still be able to dial planets in its home galaxy as seven-chevron addresses, if it had sufficient power to establish the wormhole.

Furthermore,
                        Spoiler:
                        Given the situation (get off the Hive or get nuked), I think being stranded somewhere in Pegasus would probably be an acceptable solution.

Spoiler:
                        1. Atlantis was already in the Milky Way, so he would not have had to dial Pegasus to reach it.
                        2. Yes, McKay was going to dial the Alpha Site. However, my point was that, given that they were about the nuke the Hive, would not McKay have suggested changing their travel plans to somewhere in Pegasus, if it were possible?
                        Why would gating to Pegasus make more sense than the Milky Way...?
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          Why would gating to Pegasus make more sense than the Milky Way...?
                          Because, if the Stargate works the Phoenix786 thinks that it, then 'gating back to Pegasus shaves off the two-to-five minutes needed to recalibrate the DHD. Thus, given Mckay's (rather reasonable) desperation to stay alive, it makes sense that he would have suggested 'gating to Pegasus, if the Stargate worked the Phoenix786 thinks that the Stargate works. Since McKay never made the suggestion, then it is quite likely that the Stargate does not work the way Phoenix786 thinks that it does.

Comment

Because, if the Stargate works the Phoenix786 thinks that it, then 'gating back to Pegasus shaves off the two-to-five minutes needed to recalibrate the DHD. Thus, given Mckay's (rather reasonable) desperation to stay alive, it makes sense that he would have suggested 'gating to Pegasus, if the Stargate worked the Phoenix786 thinks that the Stargate works. Since McKay never made the suggestion, then it is quite likely that the Stargate does not work the way Phoenix786 thinks that it does.
                            I understand your explanation and it make alot of sense.

Comment

...okay, think about what you're saying. The superhive has a ZPM, and it's plugged into the ship's power generators. We have no evidence that the stargate or DHD was plugged into the ship... and therefore no evidence that the stargate onboard has anywhere near the power needed to dial another galaxy. McKay would still have to either reroute power from the ship's primary systems to the 'gate (and he'd need to hook the two up beforehand) or recalibrate the DHD to use the Milky Way coordinate network. Either way, it'd take time, and the plan they used would just take far less, so it's the only one that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X