Dell Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Computers

Has anyone noticed that alot of the computers used by the SGC and Atlantis are Dell? I have never seen those kind of laptops with the glowing things on the back of the screen. I think that the computers must have some kind of alien tech. like asgard or goa'uld crystals or something built into them to increase the storage capacity or operating speed or whatever. It stands to reason right? but that means that Dell would have to have security clearance to be able to intergrate the tech. into the computers. Wouldn't it be very hard for Dell to get clearance?

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Originally posted by Col. Rose View Post
    Has anyone noticed that alot of the computers used by the SGC and Atlantis are Dell? I have never seen those kind of laptops with the glowing things on the back of the screen. I think that the computers must have some kind of alien tech. like asgard or goa'uld crystals or something built into them to increase the storage capacity or operating speed or whatever. It stands to reason right? but that means that Dell would have to have security clearance to be able to intergrate the tech. into the computers. Wouldn't it be very hard for Dell to get clearance?
    I wouldn't look into it too closely. The tablets that they use are standard ones, like when Zelenka says that the tablet doesn't have enough RAM to interface with the city's systems.

It's like the lights coming from the computer's USB ports. They're just there for looks.

The supercomputers lined against all of the walls in the SGC and in SGA's labs would be what do the hardcore processing and storing.

Comment

Besides no offense to Dell, but why would the US government choose Dell computers? Why not a more powerful brand, or better yet, why wouldn't they just design and build their own brand. Then that way they would be able to use all the alien tech they like and don't have to worry about extending the security clearence to anyone else.

Comment

product placement
        Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Gmandex View Post
          Besides no offense to Dell, but why would the US government choose Dell computers? Why not a more powerful brand, or better yet, why wouldn't they just design and build their own brand. Then that way they would be able to use all the alien tech they like and don't have to worry about extending the security clearence to anyone else.
          Lowest bidder probably. But yes Dell does provide Uncle Sam with a lot of computers. That's the only computer that I remember ever using... well the occasional HP machine here and there and Lexmark printers.

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
          +1000

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
            I wouldn't look into it too closely. The tablets that they use are standard ones, like when Zelenka says that the tablet doesn't have enough RAM to interface with the city's systems.

It's like the lights coming from the computer's USB ports. They're just there for looks.

The supercomputers lined against all of the walls in the SGC and in SGA's labs would be what do the hardcore processing and storing.

That was just a field tablet designed for read only diagnostics. In the episode Line in the Sand season 10 the laptop used by Carter is the kind that I'm talking about. I think that the special effects dept. on the show just puts led lights on the covers for an advanced look and if I rember right Martin Wood said on a behind the scenes look that 95% of the computers aren't even real for budget reasons, It's just plastic and cardboard.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Rose View Post
              That was just a field tablet designed for read only diagnostics. In the episode Line in the Sand season 10 the laptop used by Carter is the kind that I'm talking about. I think that the special effects dept. on the show just puts led lights on the covers for an advanced look and if I rember right Martin Wood said on a behind the scenes look that 95% of the computers aren't even real for budget reasons, It's just plastic and cardboard.
              Wasn't that an XPS laptop?

Comment

Dell computers are terrible, you can't escape them here in Ireland and they are just awful..... Well the XPS is grand but still...
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

My biggest gripe with Dell is that they use proprietary motherboards that fit into their proprietary cases. If you want to swap out the mobo to use the latest and greatest CPU you're pretty much SOL.

I don't know if they still do that or if they do that with their higher end computers like the XPS's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hong3103 View Post
                    My biggest gripe with Dell is that they use proprietary motherboards that fit into their proprietary cases. If you want to swap out the mobo to use the latest and greatest CPU you're pretty much SOL.

I don't know if they still do that or if they do that with their higher end computers like the XPS's.
                    Are you talking about laptops or desktops?

Because unless you get the crazy small-form cases that are like 9" high, every case is usually ATX or micro ATX.

If it's a laptop, swapping out the motherboard isn't a very big deal since it's practically unheard of.

My dad has a Dell laptop for work that he hasn't turned off in over 3 years and it's still trucking away. They aren't amazing in terms of specs and performance, but they seem to be workhouses that will take a beating.

Comment

Are you talking about laptops or desktops?

Because unless you get the crazy small-form cases that are like 9" high, every case is usually ATX or micro ATX.

If it's a laptop, swapping out the motherboard isn't a very big deal since it's practically unheard of.

My dad has a Dell laptop for work that he hasn't turned off in over 3 years and it's still trucking away. They aren't amazing in terms of specs and performance, but they seem to be workhouses that will take a beating.
                      Desktop.... It's the same size as an ATX board but it's different enough that it won't fit in any other aftermarket case or any aftermarket board won't fit in their case correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hong3103 View Post
                        Desktop.... It's the same size as an ATX board but it's different enough that it won't fit in any other aftermarket case or any aftermarket board won't fit in their case correctly.
                        That's stupid. I had an Acer that I ripped out of its case and swapped into an aftermarket one with no troubles.

Just replaced it today though Bought a new quad core. See you in hell Acer!

Comment

That's stupid. I had an Acer that I ripped out of its case and swapped into an aftermarket one with no troubles.

Just replaced it today though Bought a new quad core. See you in hell Acer!
                          Yeah it's incredibly lame business scheme but think of who Dell sells to... businesses and home users that don't really tinker with their computers. I guess it's cheaper for Dell to do this than to buy the mobos from someone else.

I'm sure that a majority of the members in this forum are computer-Davy enough to build or tweak there own computers.

Comment

Dell computers are actually owned by the trust; who use its crappyness as just another insidious way to undermine the Stargate program...

Comment

Originally posted by thedrumm3rguy View Post
                              Dell computers are actually owned by the trust; who use its crappyness as just another insidious way to undermine the Stargate program...
                              ... and the rest of the US government too

Comment

Working...
                              X