Two-way Gate Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two-way Gate Travel

Hi Everyone, I've been reading GW daily for years now, but have finally decided to start posting...better late than never I suppose

To kick off, a simple tech-related question for you to ponder over; Given that we know the following...

a) Electromagnetic energy, and hence information is able to travel back through an incoming wormhole, they communicate with video and radios all the time.

b) From 'The Quest (Part 2)', we know that beaming technology will work through an open wormhole, because they kept getting beamed through to other planets on the 'sub-gate network'.

c) From 'Thor's Hammer' and 'Ex Deus Machina', we know that large objects - say a skyscraper or even a whole pyramid - can be transported at once.

...so (assuming beaming technology temporarily reduces it's target to a purely non-materialistic state) would it not logically be possible to transport objects either way through an open wormhole, which would solve a lot of issues...so, nasty Goa'uld, Replicator or Wraith dialed in to prevent you dialing out and escaping? Why not beam a nuke back through the incoming wormhole and make them go away? (beam it a fair bit away from the remote gate though, you don't want too much of that nasty radiation hitting your Iris!), would have helped in those 'SG team stuck off-world, they can dial us, we can't dial out and they're running out of supplies' situations too.

That'll Learn 'em!

If you got this far, thanks for reading my first post

I think you'd need beaming devices on both ends of the gate, since I'm pretty sure no sensor can get a reading through an event horizon, and you need reading to teleport stuff anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliGater View Post
      b) From 'The Quest (Part 2)', we know that beaming technology will work through an open wormhole, because they kept getting beamed through to other planets on the 'sub-gate network'.
      Actually, we don't know whether beaming technology works through a Stargate. The pylons in "The Quest, Part 2" could have been beaming people through the Stargate, or they could have been connect the Stargates, feeding the travelers into the Stargate's buffer then removing them at the other end. Such a setup may be the only actual method of beaming "through" a wormhole, but would still not allow two-way travel as the entire setup still operates through the Stargate's buffer.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Both fair points, and thank you for your replies, but still something that perhaps they might have liked to address...either way, even if a remote terminal is required, it still leads to some interesting plot possibilities, maybe not in defense, but we know the basic technological theory is sound

Comment

Working...
        X