Military Applications of Teleportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Applications of Teleportation

We know Asgard beaming can control the relative velociyty of an object from various episodes, but The Intruder specificaly, when shepard did not slam into a bulkhead once he'd been teleportes poff a 302 speeding away.

So what other uses would there be?
    - Dematarialise a piece of the target, then give it as much velocity diference as possible, then materialise it back where it was, meteor impact.
    - Instead of railguns, beaming technology could ocntrol to speed and direction of railgun slugs wihtout any barrel assembly or ammunition feed.
    - Fighters could be retrieved by beaming, even through jamming, if equiped with a powerful locator beacon.

well, making something that moves stand still isnt hard. the other way aroud would be harder. but imagine: just fire slugs and beam em up into a buffer, then in battle mass beam em out. vast ROF superiority

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      well, making something that moves stand still isnt hard. the other way aroud would be harder.
      On a molecular level I think it's about the same.

Comment

I always thought it would be good for darts to beam up hive ship blasts out of battle and then act like stukas

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
          I always thought it would be good for darts to beam up hive ship blasts out of battle and then act like stukas
          I don't know whether the bolts' exotic properties would allow for this.

Comment

Something likes the weaponized transporter of thors chariot would be effective at dealing with swarms of hives.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
              I don't know whether the bolts' exotic properties would allow for this.
              :O After all that talk about beaming Reaper energy bolts in the VF you come out with this!
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                :O After all that talk about beaming Reaper energy bolts in the VF you come out with this!
                Asgard teleportation, not the fixed kind that's too stupid to diferentiate between atoms. That's a lot easier IMO. Asgard teleportation needs fancy sensor lock-ons.

Comment

Well the application of beaming technology for us would be far greater than that of the asgard. first thing is rather simple, storage. If we can create a viable buffere interface for when you beam. In many episodes it was mentioned that you beam in to a buffer and then get sent and then materialised remotely. Now if you are only beamed in to the buffer and not transported, then if you have enough power then you can store virtually anything in the buffer. This would be of huge benefit to our ships. Instead of having 16 302's you could have 12 beaming buffers with a rematerialiser in each hanger. Each with a squadren of 302s inside. You can increase that by scale as much as you like, we know that promethius can store a skyscraper inside its beaming buffer for a short period of time. Its possible that with a new type of buffer with a integrated power source (so that it doenst drain the ship) then you could fit an entire ship inside the buffer. Promethius was certainly smaller than the skyscraper. Now imagine our ships if we could beam a dozen alkesh in to the buffer, walk through the stargate and then use a jumper to put them in space and rematerialise. It could allow us to move entire fleets of ships through the gate or around a galaxy with ease. With its ZPM, Atlantis could be retrofitted with a beam storage system and have a whole fighter wing at its disposal whenever needed, or alkesh or a whole number of other military equipment. Tanks could be taken through the gate at will, even PJs could support the ability to carry ground vehicles. Also manpower and supplys could easily be stored in a similar way.

Other ideas, on the beliskner there was beaming arrays which could beam anything within a field of view. Now this was only when activated, all we need to do it keep them always active. So that anything in the view of the beaming array would be beamed in, darts, weapons fire, asteroids, mines, basicly creating a beaming shield. Beaming already converts matter in to energy, it shouldnt have much trouble converting energy in to energy, its only capturing it and not letting it go. In darts they can something in the buffer, its probley the same with the asgard. So just empty the buffer after battle.

In addition we can story tons of missiles in the buffer and launch directly from the buffer, no need for missile tubes, prepare them for battle, beam in to the buffer, when needed, beam in to open space and fire away.

As to using them to increase the power of rail guns, all i can think is the storage element, if we use them to store ammo, as to modifying the rail guns to work with a beaming array instead of a magnet, i dont think it will work.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

Ok, if the beaming array turns matter into energy, then could it not, instead of rematerialising the matter, rematerialise (wrong word) it as energy?

Conversion drive anyone?

PS. A conversion drive is a drive that can turn matter into energy without equivelent quantities of anti matter, you can see the benefits.

Comment

Yes beaming could be used as both a form of energy reactor and as a means of propulsion. As far as im aware all the beaming and transport technology relys on the conversion of matter in to energy, and then the relocation of that energy somewhere else and returning it back to material form. At least in stargate that is the principles of the stargates, rings and asgard beams. Its just the method and advanceness of the technology. stargates and rings are like fax machines, whereas beams are like mobile phones. Beaming technology to use an analogy takes the audio/matter, transmits that/beams it, in up to a satalite/beaming array, and then sends its to another reciever/returns it to matter. They can do this without a transport medium, the stargates require a wormhole, and rings need connecting sets. The beams can move things from place to place without a corresponding set to beaming arrays. But back to your point about energy and matter. Unending aside, even before the conversion of beaming tech in to matter conversion technology. The underlying principles are the same. Beaming relys on energy/matter conversion, so with modifcations, you could convert that in to a matter creates energy. So in effect anything could be used as a "fuel" but someone else can do the maths and physics regarding the application.
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

O dear, this could create a drive orders of magnitude more powerful than anything we've enountered. May even be what the Asgard actually used.

Not even a drive, a power source too, an incredibly pwoerful and long lasting one at that.

Comment

I mentioned in the second round of the modeling challenge using beam tech to transport ore from planet to ship. its not really an military application but...

The beam tech could be used to produce an entire mine field, but that is kinda stealing immhotep's idea.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                            I mentioned in the second round of the modeling challenge using beam tech to transport ore from planet to ship. its not really an military application but...

The beam tech could be used to produce an entire mine field, but that is kinda stealing immhotep's idea.
                            I already beat you to it, use beaming to mine a planet's core.

Comment

In fleet 1.0 I had the Wraith beaming materials out of planet cores to build their ships...so I technically beat you both.
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                              X