X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTD snarks about Stargate

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/1...snt_care.shtml

Originally posted by GateWorld
    "Stargate, can you believe it?" Davies said. "That was a surprise. Has his agent watched it?"
    Argh, I can't believe how big headed this quote is. It's basically saying "my show is better than Stargate, therefore he should come to mine".

As one of the few people who thinks New Doctor Who is a pile of crap, I'm gonna be outnumbered here in my hatred of it.
    Copied and pasted from a rant I had when I sat through an episode thinking they'd be a new Doctor;
    It's the biggest loads of BS on TV. How can you take anything at all seriously? I know it's sci-fi but it's not remotely believable at all. A device that can destroy everything ever? All daleks can be controlled by one computer? How many times did they bring back the daleks after they "defeated them once and for all".

Some people say it's not meant to be taken seriously, but they're moments when you're clearly supposed to. Emotional scenes and the like. It's so OTT and ridiculous that when these scenes come up they just feel out of place.
    This is one reason why Stargate is so much better than Doctor Who. It does what DW is trying to do successfully, strike a believable balance between humour and seriousness.
    So far the only people I've meant in real life who like it are girls who like it because "David Tennant is so hot", my dad who's probably watching it for nostalgia purposes, and my little sister's 6 year old friend.
    If anyones says "If you don't like Doctor Who, why do you watch it?" - I've watched less than 10 episodes, and NEARLY each time I've had nothing but bad things to say.

The only praise I have for the show is Blink, and Tennant's acting. Moffat wrote Blink, and I understand he's taking over the show in '10, so I may give it another go then.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

I used to enjoy Doctor Who, but the camp and horrible special effects have finally killed it for me. It's just a show that doesn't take itself seriously, and while that can be great fun, Who just goes to far. Davies is jealous that the Big Bad American Series got the guy he wanted to be in his little brainchild continuation. Oh well, maybe if Stargate hasn't been known to produce much better work (and attract some rather large names), Carlyle wouldn't have come.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I'm the same as you. I only whatched a few episodes of DW. I'm not trashing the show yet because i didn't had my opinion formed from only a few episodes but if it was great i would have sticked to it. RTD behaved like a 6 year old trashing another show in favor of his. He needs to grow a little maybe tune in a couple of stargate episodes so he can think before talking.
      sigpic

Comment

The success Dr. Who has had in the UK has clearly gone to his head. He himself calls it a children's show, is it really hard to believe that Carlyle wouldn't be interested? On one hand he's a got a show in the US with high production quality, billed as being darker and grittier than it's previous incarnations (that lasted 15 seasons between them) and on the other he's got Dr.Who. Not much of a choice really, I'm sure he'd much rather shoot a P90 and get into some serious character drama than spend half his time talking to guys in rubber suits.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/victoriad...he_next_d.html

Link to the interview. The RC/SG remarks are on there around the 4 min 20 sec mark till 4 min 34 .
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

This insignificant Davies had a chance to stay quiet, but he resolve shoot in his feet, good look to him....
            Fabiano Klug
            O'neill say: I don't care.
            Stargate Brasil

Comment

Don't mind RTD. He always comes out with remarks that are bound to upset some people, but it does sound like it was in jest. Even if it wasn't it's just an opinion, don't get too upset about it. I do think his Prince Charles comment a few weeks ago was hilarious.

I'd say Universe sounds more like the kind of show Carlyle would be drawn to, if it is indeed darker. Dr. Who is mostly for kids and nostalgic fans, I can't see his style of acting suiting the role as well as it would Dr. Rush, or at least what we've heard of him.

Comment

What I can't believe is that an entire article was made on GW from one single quote from RTD. Come on, folks, geez, so he doesn't like Stargate. LOTS of people don't watch it (if everybody watched it, it would have been on network TV and not Sci Fi!)

All this article is doing is showing (at least on the comments section of where the 'article' was posted) is that some fans are taking that comment far too personally.

I expect that someone will go running off to JM's blog to go "oh the horrors!" in regards to the comment And then JM will make some pithy remark, and then it will just go into a vicious cycle that will eventually devour itself, but not before dividing SG from DW fans
                Last edited by prion; 22 December 2008, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Although I prefer Stargate more, I still really enjoy the new Dr Who and am a big fan of both shows and their spin-offs (apart from Sarah Jane adventures, since I am not a little kid, or Stargate Infinity).

However although I don't agree with what RTD said (even though I believe it was a joke more than anything). I just want to say that Dr Who is not a "Cheap and Childish" show. Infact the production values are really good when you look at its budget (which would naturally be lower than an American backed show like Stargate).

Personally I think both Stargate and Dr Who are equal on CGI, acting, make-up, sets, props and costume. However I would agree that SG has better visual effects (like explosions) and lighting departments. I just don't think people should continue to label DR Who as looking "cheap and made from cardboard" based on its original series and the 1rst from the new series, as even Stargates first series looked bad compared to what we have now. The last 2 series of Dr Who has been great, with amazing production values. When the Dr met the Devil in the new series it looked amazing and rivaled anything Stargate had done before it. And you could easily compared Dr Who's "Pompeii" set with the Stargate "Village" set, as both looked amazing. And as for Dr Who's aliens being "people wearing masks", that's a fair point, but them mask actually tend to look rather well made (like the Judoon, Face of Bow or Daleks), I mean even Stargate has had its bad "Rubber Aliens", I mean just look at the original Asgard Puppets, Serpent Guard helmets, Lego Bionicle inspired Kull Warriors and Wraith Drone Masks.

So even though Stargate is a better franchise, don't state that Dr Who is of a cheap and low quality compared to Stargate when its clearly not, infact its most likely equal. The Only difference is the budget, the filming location and the Rules of the Universe they follow, with Dr Who being more Fantasy based and less serous when it comes to universal rules making it a completely different show. Which is why both are great.
                  sigpic
                  Banner Made By Me for Me
                  The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    What I can't believe is that an entire article was made on GW from one single quote from RTD. Come on, folks, geez, so he doesn't like Stargate. LOTS of people don't watch it (if everybody watched it, it would have been on network TV and not Sci Fi!)

All this article is doing is showing (at least on the comments section of where the 'article' was posted) is that some fans are taking that comment far too personally.

I expect that someone will go running off to JM's blog to go "oh the horrors!" in regards to the comment And then JM will make some pithy remark, and then it will just go into a vicious cycle that will eventually devour itself, but not before dividing SG from DW fans
                    So true, RTD not liking Stargate is not the end of the world.

We don't even know if he doesn't like Stargate, since plenty of people are quite capable of mocking something they love. I noticed a number of the reports about RC joining Stargate had this spin. I think some people see Stargate as a bit of a guilty pleasure.

And, really, RC joining Stargate is massively out of left field.

Still, it sounds like a joke to me, and I liked RTD comment immediately afterwards "that's going to be all over the Dr. Who blogs". And the Stargate ones RTD, and the Stargate ones.

Comment

Well it makes sense that he wouldn't like it, they are very different shows, can't be to everyone's tastes. Who's to say Stargate Universe will be like the Stargate RTD is used to anyway? From what I've heard it's going to be completely different.

Comment

A lot of people don't like Stargate and a lot don't like Dr Who, usally no one cares, the only real reason I can see for running this news it to get peoples' backs up, which really is stupid.... Im sure the writters of Stargate have made some distasteful comments about other shows!

I mean JK Rowling slags off other writers all the time, actors are the wrose for it, so for eveyone to get up in arms over this is just **** stiring....

As for RC....It can be hard for English actors to break through to the US, some are happy not bothering to cross the channel, but others do, if RC want to cross over then STU would be a good bet....

Both shows have plus and nimus points and to try and compare then will just cause a "Geek War", with no real purpose.... its RC choice.
                        A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

I like both franchises. RTD's comments might have been a bit undiplomatic, but I prefer people speaking their minds rather than being false and boring.
                          This time... it's war!

Comment

Fir the record, I do think this counts as news, it's hillarious.

Comment

The thing is, Davies doesn't actually say anything negative about Stargate at all, does he? He expresses some amount of surprise that Carlyle likes it. Or, more specifically again, that Carlyle's agent likes it.

To put it in perspective: I like Stargate; I like Edward James Olmos; but if Olmos was announced as a member of the SGU cast I'd have the same reaction as Davies about Carlyle.

I mean, c'mon, from older interviews with Carlyle I've gotten the impression:

(i) he doesn't like long work commitments
                              (ii) he doesn't like being in North America
                              (iii) he doesn't like SF
                              (iv) he doesn't like working with visual effects

Perhaps Davies has come to the same conclusions and is therefore, not surprisingly, wonders if Carlyle's actually quite aware of what type of show he's just signed up for which doesn't say anything about Davies' view of that show.

Consider, as well, that Davies has said nice things about Stargate in the past (calling it "brilliant" in one piece he wrote for Doctor Who Magazine; and "really good television" in another) and taken inspiration from it too - saying the Adipose (swarming little monsters in the episode Partners in Crime) were partly inspired by the Replicators, and specifying in his script for Army of Ghosts that the Sphere Room should resemble the Gate Room from SG-1. The only half-way negative thing he's ever said about the show was that he (naturally enough) preferred DW's approach of a smaller number of diverse alien planets, than Stargate's larger number of often very similar planets. But, again, that's a personal preference rather than a criticism.

In other words: relax. He's a fan. He's just a fan who's surprised Carlyle's a fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X